Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Estimating Drop Altitudes

Check this out. It will give you a good estimate of your drop altitude. http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/AltStripes.pdf I found this on a website for gliders.
    Juan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Estimating Drop Altitudes

Thanls - Thats a great idea and now to find a plane big enough to put it on LOL
    I will make a few to hand out
    just need glasses to be able to see the marks
    Later Don
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Juan,

I see a future design for the bottom panel of my next chute !! Bring your altimeter to the Ohio Rally and we will see how accurate this really is. : D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I almost got to drop a jumper yesterday but had the stripes on plane wrong and ran out of altitude befor I could release the Jumper ,Should have had directions on which way the stripes mounted LOL

Got to wake up this RC Skdive site some how

Note the dirt drop was only 1 ft and no damage to Jumper or plane Wheee[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FlyBy8,
    Sounds like a good idea doing it on the bottom of a parachute. I suggest you make a white parachute with black stipes on the bottom. I put the stripes on the bottom wing of my Radian glider and they show up really good. The problem is I have to keep looking at the instructions to see how high I am. Will bring my altimeter to the Rally and we can check it out.
    Juan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Juan,

I am sorry to report that Ihave made no progress in making a chute with this design. Would be a hoot to try, though.....

I can't imagine how hard it would be to get my new progressive lenses at just the right angle to count the stripes. Challenges, I love 'em.

Paul F.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I gave up thring to see and got a altimameter from -How High .com - 40 bucks and next will get the dig reader for 34 bucks and reads within 1 ft, which is close nuff for this ol redneck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using the How High for quite awhile now and it works great-the only problem is that you know your jump altitude after the plane gets on the ground! We have been getting better at estimating 800' simply by the looks of the aircraft at altitude and calling the drop to the pilot. Don't miss more than 100' after reading the actual altitude from the How High. Calibrated Eyeballs!!!!! Ask Skydiver about the altitude system he has that actually talks to you and reads out the altitude as you climb out. Hard to beat that!

Jim B.