Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C > R/C Sky Diving
Reload this Page >

Newby with rigging questions was hijacked

Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Newby with rigging questions was hijacked

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
mikecward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby with rigging questions was hijacked

All,

I started a post with a couple of questions and it was hijacked by "rcdirigibles" and everybody just went with it and ignored my original post. Are there rules here concerning hijacking threads, or is it a free for all?

I just have a couple of questions and maybe I took too long to get back to the forum, but life in general got in the way and I am just getting back to thinking about my RC Sky Jumper. Any help would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to RC skydiving and as far as I know I will be the first in my club to have one. A couple other guys have dropped parachutes, but no RC chutes, just drop and pop and see where they go. I am really concerned about the material I chose, and I hope it works. If not, I will build another one.

Here is my last post from the hijacked thread:
Thanks,
Mike

I finished my chute and got it rigged and have not had time to build the jumper, but I do have the radio and high torque servos all ready to go.
I have been busy with building airplanes and building stuff for my wife.

Not sure how successful my chute is going to be, it is definitely the "crackly" ripstop nylon. I read almost every thread on this forum before purchasing it and didn't see anything saying it wouldn't work . It was a real pain to work with because it is so slippery, but we got it done. I used 1/8" ID grommets with leather washer for spacer to attach the lines. I made templates out of masonite and built a rigging board so the next chute should go much faster. I am going to try this chute even if it is the wrong material. I would think that it would deploy nicely as springy as it seems to be?? I sprayed it with anti-static spray during assembly and it really helped.

I took the transmitter apart and rigged the sticks so they are spring loaded all the way to the top. The feel is almost exactly like it was before, and the travel is smooth.

I will not be jumping for a month or two, depending on how motivated I get on my plane. I am building a 6' wingspan SPAD (simple plastic airplane design) of my own design for a jump plane and for use as a trainer as well. I have already finished a DPS (Das Plastic Stik) from the plans on the STTB website and it flew so great it inspired me to build a SPAD Jump/Trainer plane.

I am using CR Fowler's plans for the chute and jumper, with my mods as I see the need. I also have the Gitchell Chute plans and It looks like they are one and the same.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-17-2009, 11:08 PM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newby with rigging questions was hijacked

mikecward; You are right on the plans ,they are the same plans I also went to wally for a set of plans and all the chutes I made originaly were gitchell chutes . The best material that you need is a ultra low porosity and if you want neon colors they are also availble from para gear it is slightly high but make a super chute when you are done. I use 50lb hathaway dacron line from into the wind kite suplies they are in colorado, If I can be of farther assitance send me a pm and will try and help you in anyway I can.

Bob
Skydivers Are Good To The Last Drop
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 PM
mikecward

I have not begun building the skydiver yet, but am coming along nicely on the jump plane. I have the plans from RC Skydive USA to build the jumper, and after reading and looking at some other jumpers, it looks like it would work better with more travel on the arms than this jumper has. These plans end up with the arms moving parallel to the body straight out to the side, it looks like some of the others have the arms travel about 90 degrees to the side of the jumper resulting in more travel. Should I change the design so my jumper works like that? Or is there a better design jumper that can be built by the average RCer? If so, where can I get plans?

I have two Airtronics 94162Z High Torque Ball Bearing Servos, Torque @ 4.8V: 123 oz-in. That should be adequate, shouldn't it?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM
mikecward

Goldenknight,

Thanks for your reply and offer of help.

Mike
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
R/C Skyjumper

If all else fails send me a PM and I make the jumper and also chutes and can help with info or parts if needed
Don R/C Skyjumper