Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Meet Jumping Jack!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Death Cheater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meet Jumping Jack!

16" Tall
Weight 2.2 lbs. adjustable to 2.8 lbs. (Lead plates in the back.)
Articulating arms with 5.25" of travel at the ends.
Standard size servos with 60 degrees of rotation.
AA NiCad batteries in the legs.
Release servo; release line goes through the top of head.
For size reference the head is 2" diameter.
Back halves, collar board, neck and back braces; 1/4" plywood. Legs, hips and arms 3/16" plywood, 3mm bolts at the joints.
Designed for a 22" x 49" canopy.
I have not designed the chute containment bag because I don't know how big it will be.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10166.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	1288392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56327.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	1288393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87254.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1288394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31557.jpg
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	1288395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16092.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	1288396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73015.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	1288397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23013.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	1288398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10567.jpg
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	1288399  

Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Ucak

Default RE: Meet Jumping Jack!

D.Cheater,

Too cool man. I hope he works for you. Looking forward to seeing the real thing. I am concerned that your servos are going to strip out. I would up the equipment list a bit to metal highctorque or you might be changing out servos.

When do you go to production?

Ucak
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 AM
JohnByrne

Nice work.

Quick side note not on topic, what did you use to render it?

Can you give some more details on the legs? It looks like they can have a decent range of motion. I found a video somewhere of a guy similar to this with spring loaded legs. He slammed it on the table several times and the legs would bend taking the hit. Didn't put it in my favorites and can't find it now. Have you seen it? Your design looks similar but improved. I'll be watching. Do you mind if others copy the design? I've not even thought about the man yet.

Thanks for sharing
John
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Death Cheater

Ucak, I am concerned about the servos too. I was thinking about getting some with stronger insides like you mention though. I have some old servos I’m going to use just to start out with and see how they work. As a matter of fact this whole thing is designed around things I all ready have or can make. As to When I’ll go into production, I thought I would let this post sit a few days then, based on whatever feed-back I get, the design could change a bit, but it’s pretty much done.
John, these images are not rendered per say. The whole thing was designed with AutoDesk Inventor 10 and what you see is the way the model looks all the time, except when you’re editing parts.
This is my first attempt at designing an R/C jumper. I didn’t do any research on other designs because I didn’t want them to have a bearing on any of my ideas. The lower legs are just 3/16 plywood grooved out so the two sides trap the battery when fitted into the foot and bolted at the knee. The upper legs, 3/16 plywood, center piece, is cut out to hold the battery with the outer sides holding the battery in place. My idea is to tighten the leg joints so they are stiff to move so they would take some shock on landing. The spring idea sounds good too. Humm, may be able to figure something out using rubber bands. If you want to use any if these ideas on your jumper go ahead but some drawing may help.
The view below shows the leg with the outer part hidden showing the AA sized battery. The foot is held in place with a zip tie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71918.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	1288818  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Banzai55

Great design!!! Impressive! Any chance of reorienting the arm servos 90 degrees to give the arms sideways movement?