Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

servo and chute material questions

I got my chute out this week and looked it over and everything is good to go, just have to get a diver built. I bought a 16” Hulk Hogan action figure on ebay (cheap) and plan to use it for my jumper. I took some measurements and it looks like I can build a chassis to mount the servos and pivot points for the arm axles and get it all inside the torso with only a little bit sticking out the back and that will be covered with the jump suit. I am getting excited about this again.

My chute is complete and it turned out really nice, but I may have used the wrong material. It is definitely the zero porosity crackly ripstop material, I hope it works OK, has anyone have experience with the crackly stuff and if so, did it work out OK?

I have 2 Airtronics 94162Z BB MG 115 oz/in servos and also 2 JR DS821 BB 72 oz/in servos. The 94162Zs are going to require more mods to the action figure to shoehorn in, but I will do it if it makes sense. Do I need the 115 oz/in, or will the JRs work without issues?

Thanks,
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: servo and chute material questions

Hi Mike,

Is this the one you have?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56901.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	1279238  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like it, is it about 16" tall and the arms and legs move?

My son and I were looking at it this weekend and I think it is going to work.
    Here is my basic plan:
    Bend a piece of 1/8" music wire to fit inside the arms all the way to the hand
    Turn a piece of oak to the inside diameter of the arm where it goes into the torso
    Cut the rim off the arm so it can move freely inside the arm hole
    Drill the center of the oak to 1/8" and epoxy it inside the arm with the wire sticking out
    Build a chassis that fits inside the torso with holes for the wire to go through and mounts for the servos

I may draw up plans as I go and finalize them after I finish it. Probably be a few weeks before I get it done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I could add more to this discussion about fabric choice, I've read that the F111 from Para Gear is the best choice. This isn't in neon and some use neon. The neon is different stuff. Which one is the best?

Also, is Mike going to have problems with his choice?

Thanks in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

I have never jumped with one of the zero porosity chutes, but from what i have read and heard is that they do not work.

The only thing that they do is fly backwards in the wind. So pick a great day for your maiden or do take the wind as a big factor. You do not want to lose everything on your fist jump.

They are very slippery and not easy to sew or pack. They are more bulky as when packing.

Regards Riaan