Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What size is a #2 Jumper?

Hello guys, I’m brand new to R/C Skydiving and I have a few questions. But first I have to tell you, I’m designing my own skydiver from scratch. It’s not going to be one of these little guys that’ll fit in your pocket. I want it big enough to see pretty well in the sky.
    My jumper is modeled up with 3D software so I can assign weights to materials and get everything worked out before I start making parts. So far he’s 13.2” tall and weighs just over 1.5 lbs.
    I’ve downloaded the gitchelchute.doc from the “Let’s Jump” web site and constricted a 3D model of the canopy. Just for clarity it’s the RAM AIR PARAFOIL CHUTE FOR R/C by Wally Gitchel 7 cells, 24”, chord, 49” span, 8 sq. ft. area, for a #2 R/C Jumper.
    When I place the canopy with my jumper he seams a little small. Now to my question; what size (and weight) is a #2 Jumper that Walter Gitchelreferringto?
    Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What size is a #2 Jumper?

Thats a 2 pound jumper and about right for that chute
    Welcome to our little world and a bunch of swell guys and gals

Any help we can be we will try and there is a wealth of info on this site in the older post and a lot of great reading and ideas
    Good Luck with your diver and keep us posted on progress
    Don
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the quick reply Don. Silly me, I should have know the (#) symbol really met pounds. Anyway I’m currently remodeling my jumper to be larger. I’m thinking about 16” tall may “look” better proportionally for that chute but I don’t know. I’ll keep messing with it until it does. I think I can make him that size and be about 2#’s. That would be 2 pounds.
    In a few days I’ll post a picture (model) of my jumper with the chute.
    -Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I made a jumper and chute from Wally Gitchells plans a number of years ago I got the plans from Wally himself.
    Had to add alot of weight to get it to perform well needs to weigh atleast 2.5 lb.
    The jumper is approx 15" tall.

I copied the plans at 80% and made a new chute, with the new chute I have a jump weight of 1lb. 9 oz.
    I want to restring the chute and run the strings all the way to the risers and not have the short tie in strings.
    Just haven't got around to it yet.

GaryV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input Gary. I’ve been remodeling my jumper this afternoon, larger about 16”. He’s 1.6 lbs. so far. If he needs to be about 2.5 lbs. then I can feel comfortable about beefing it up a bit.

I’m going to have some questions about attach points to the risers; I don’t know what a risers is. But I’ll get to that later. I’ve read over Wally’s instructions a number of times and I have figured out most of it but there is some terminology I’m having trouble with. That’s part of the fun of it, learning new things.

Thanks,

-Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary - I wanted to thank you at the field for giving me all the rides for my jumper but the rain gods were starting to work on us and you were packing under umbrells
    So Thanks for a lot of help and the videos , Mike took a lot from this meet and soon as can we will make a copy for anyone that wants one ,just for cost or get it together with any others and make a longer one , any one got more footage and photos to do that , Gary -hint hint
    Don
    Have a few Orange caps left if anyone wants one for 2 bucks and postage - Before they go on web for gen public at 10 bucks ,Need to buy a gal of epoxy to fix my jumper that exploded LOL

Sure love my little bare butz Gnome -What a surprise Nice to get a (MAJOR) prize with all you guys trying for it LOL

Signed photos of me and award for big bucks - will be published on here for preview soon
    Don
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com