RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   Experiment with a emergency chute (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/10787853-experiment-emergency-chute.html)

lundy 10-29-2011 06:04 AM

Experiment with a emergency chute

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys ,

While some of you are preparing for the RC Skydiver's winter sleep , we are take benefit of the extreme good weather we have the last weeks ( especially Theo ) .
We have lot's of jump's with his latest Experiment ,a emergency chute for the RC Skydiver .

First we go up ( you have to :)) then Gerard the drop plane pilot kicks us out of his Piper, the skydiver make's the normal 3sec freefall ,then deployment of the main chute "fully steerable" left right,
flying a few turns then drop the main chute make a short freefall and deploy the emergency chute "full steerable " and landing most of the time in front of Theo's feet .

I find it amazing that Theo was able to make it all work time after time , after a few jumps we found it quite common and suddenly we Realized we had not made any photos ,
so the last jump of a smashing day I was able to take some photo's I want to share with you .

( the photo's are not of a good quality but that is due to the limitation of the camera)

Have a nice weekend guys ,

Jules

JuanF 10-29-2011 06:45 AM

RE: Experiment with a emergency chute

Jules,
Emergency chute is an excellent idea. I could have used this at Muncie with all the dirt dives I had. How about showing some pictures of the emergency chute set-up.
Juan

lundy 10-29-2011 07:10 AM

Hi Juan ,

Yeahaaa ! you want some spy photo's :D

No problem, next time I see Theo I will make some close up's of the set up ( if he let me) ,and post them here .
I don't think he want to keep it secret for our Skydivers friends over here , he is not working for the CIA FBI ...TSA ....KGB........MOSAT .......Nhaaa! he retired some years ago ( long ago ):D

Jules

R/C Skydiver 10-29-2011 07:54 AM

HI Jules,

You and Theo never cease to amaze me with your ideas that always seem to work great. The idea of a reserve chute that works exactly like a real skydiver uses, is a stroke of genius. I am anxious to see how it works. How about putting them up for sale. I could sure use one in the 5 to 6 skydiver demos I do per year.

The HALO thing we did in Columbus is now a part of my demo. I have and old "Charly", the one I used at the meet in Columbus, that is modified for fast chute deployment to do a delayed opening as close to the ground as possible . The first one opened at about 5 ft and the spectators loved it. The second one was not so lucky. The chute did not open and it crashed into the ground. The spectators loved that too! I found out that the switch vibrated to the off position while the jump plane climbed for altitude (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!) Old "Charly has been rebuilt and is ready to go again.

Too bad you and I could not make it to Muncie this year. Maybe another time!! We were just staying home to give the other guys a chance to win for a change. Look out Gary, we may make it next year!!!!

lundy 10-29-2011 09:10 AM

Well Jim to be honest I have noting contributed to this project, the honer is totally for Theo he alone has figure's out these amazing things .

That you do these demo every year is making people out there aware of RC Skydiving .
Most RC Flyer's have never seen a successful RC Skydive they remember only the dirt dives from the old day's.

We do demo's maybe one's or twice a year , its hard to fit in in to a air show with Skydivers, and all these expensive airplanes that's always a little deterrent, you always have that in the background to worry about .

And yeah in Muncie they ware lucky we ware not there:(
Don't tell them we wanted to give them a chance to be the lucky one's :D

I don't know if we gone make it to the next year's Muncie Rally ,you never know want's waiting around the next corner !

Oh and you are not preparing for a winter's sleep I guess ,with these southern temperatures you have ?

See yeah ,

Jules

R/C Skydiver 10-29-2011 10:05 AM

We never sleep down hereexcept for an afternoon nap!

Have demos in Cordele, Ga. on Nov 12 and in Macon, Ga. on nov 19th. That's probably it for the year.

lundy 10-30-2011 01:55 AM

Considering the Muncie Rally next year .
I have just completed my AMA membership renewal for 2012 , it's in the mail .

So that part is taken care of, the intention is there let's hope this is the start of another wonderful meeting in the US next year .:D

:D

lundy 10-30-2011 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: JuanF
How about showing some pictures of the emergency chute set-up.
Juan
While the east side of the US groans under a serious early winters Snow attack with 24 inc of snow and cutting millions of people of the electricity net , we over here in Holland and Belgium have the finest weather we could wish for end October. 68 °f and nice sunny weather .
Sorry guys ,lets hope non of you is suffering to too much .

The promised up date ,
Again we have experimented with the emergency RC Skydiver chute and again every jump turns out to go as wanted , only the on /off switch is giving trouble seems to it need's a replacement .

Here are the Photo's you ask for ,the photo's are of a better quality !

Our Dutch friend Gerard , was again the jump plane pilot ,the Lady on the Photo is his wife Dorie she is RC Skydiving to and most of the time she knows better where the target is than we , on a contest she is competition to watch !
The Piper Cub Gerard is flying for a long time now has a wingspan of 2.80cm and motor is a two cylinder in V 70cc ( I don't know the brand )

I want to thank him here for his willingness to bring us time after time again to the requested drop altitude , Thanks Gerard !

Theo & Jules