RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   Novice Jumper with a Couple Questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/7818309-novice-jumper-couple-questions.html)

robert92679 08-06-2008 11:33 PM

Novice Jumper with a Couple Questions

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Fellow Skydivers,

I am relatively new to this facet of our hobby, but have made about 10 jumps with a jumper I picked up from goldenknight1. Thank you Bob, for all the help and answers to my questions. I've been having a blast.

I now have my lift plane figured out. I am flying a Kadet LT-40 with a Saito 72. On my first couple jumps I had the release box on top of the wing, which is definitely NOT the way to do it. The plane was almost unflyable due to the high CG and drag. We were barely able to gain enough altitude for a jump. I since moved the release under the fuselage, and it works extremely well. This plane and engine combination has plenty of power for the 2.5 lb. jumper.

I had one jump early on where the chute didn't fully open. The jumper spiraled down, but was undamaged. My folding technique has improved with practice, and now my openings are reliable and fast. So here are my questions... Do you recommend any kind of baby powder for your hands or the chute while folding? I found a little bit prevents the chute material from sticking to my hands when they're a bit sweaty. Do you use anything to clean the chute after it landed in the dirt a few times? Another words, what kind of maintenance should I be doing to keep the chute in ideal working condition?

Here are a couple pictures of my setup: Jumper on Top (wrong!), Jumper below (right!), and Jumper in Flight.

I welcome any suggestions about the baby powder, or any other lessons you have learned along the way.

Regards,

Robert

ennyka 08-06-2008 11:53 PM

RE: Novice Jumper with a Couple Questions

Well I used to have about 3 out 5 drops with a half opened chute. I thought it was my folding then thought is was the way the plane was heading with consideration of wind direction, then I thought it was sticking so I dusted it with talcum powder. I was then taught that the chute should be laid in the sun for at least a half hour before packing it and only pack it just before jumping.....Well that was the key. I hadn't realized that the nylon holds a memory and I could even notice a difference by picking the diver up by the feet and hanging the chute. When it just comes out the case it stays folded in half like it is stored, let it sit spread out for a while and when you pick it up and hang it upside down it is almost fully open with no air moving !
As far the powder I don't think that would hurt it and fact just some slight dusting could keep it dry and slick from sticking.....Happy Falling from Spillway Skydive Team located in LaPlace, La.

goldenknight1 08-07-2008 09:32 AM

RE: Novice Jumper with a Couple Questions

Robert:
You should always do what I do also to get rid of what is called static cling, always leave your chute lay out unfolded and when you get ready to pack for jump take your diver and pull him upwards so that chute blows up this will release the material . Nylon ripstop material is very receptive to static electricity and it will cling very tinght and this causes the fabric to hold it's packing shape . Rule one I and Juan use is first shake the chute out , two never pack your chute until you are ready to jump, and A little talcium on hand will help with sweating but wipe your hands real good before you pack. I hope this will help you in having many many more happy jumps.

Bob:)[8D]:D