Search
Notices

Frequency Flags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Ralph Morris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency Flags?

Does anyone know who supplies frequency flags (red for 72 MHz, black for 50 MHz, etc.)?

...and especially the little plastic thingies that attach the flag to your antenna?

O.k., I know most people are flying on 2.4 GHz band nowadays, which doesn't have a designated flag, or anywhere to put it!

But some of us are old enough to remember Green & White, etc., for the old AM channels, and we are fond of having a little flag on the antenna. Mostly, it reminds us to extend the antenna!

I have way too many airplanes (and spare receivers!) on 50 MHz (HAM) band to ever convert to 2.4 GHz.

But I'm glad everybody else did! Now there's only two of us in my club on 50 MHz, and we're on different channels!

Many R/C Clubs' rules still require a frequency flag, and some require channel numbers displayed on the antenna. Does yours?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM
pilotpete2

Dubro still has the antenna flags listed under antenna accessories.
You also could get the size stick on numbers you want and scratch build a flag.
FWIW, would you be interested in an Airtronics Infinity 660A on 72Mhz, CH42??? It even comes with the frequency flag!!!!!!!!! Such a deal
Pete
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Ralph Morris

Thanks for the info, Pete! I should have looked there. Found nothing on Tower Hobbies, and my local hobby-shop guy said, "What century are you from?"

Sorry I'm a Futaba flyer. I have a T14MZ transmitter for sale on eBay this week. Current bid is $620.00. All th bells and whistles and full-width touch-screen!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
pilotpete2

Don't be sorry, I fly Futaba was well, currently the 8FG
I did very well selling my old 9Cs a couple of years ago. The module based radios are still in demand.
Best regards,
Pete
Old 04-30-2017, 01:40 PM
sehlers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph Morris if your still looking for Correct vintage flags ,let me know. I got a stash of the original
Carl Goldberg products flags. My friend Roy Klett molded All of the Goldberg plastic hardware ,
and I have several sets they made , packaged and unpackaged . I received some items several years ago after he passed away .
Let me know .
Steve Ehlers
Old 04-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Ralph Morris

Thanks, Steve! I fly on 50 MHz, the HAM band, and I have two black flags. Almost everyone in my club is on 2.4 GHz now.
How times have changed since the days when I flew Green & White.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 PM
sehlers

Default Frequency Flags

Hey Ralph ,
So do you want the Original Goldberg Flags or holders that you can use your own ribbon on ? I have both .
Let me know .I think I'm keeping the Brown and White and Red and White as I flew those as a kid with my dad .There is one black and Green...
But the holder is the key. Except when Goldberg packed it with a small ball chain piece
My friend and dad reminded me the Ham frequencies colors were based the same as resistor color codes .
Steve
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Ralph Morris

Thanks for your kind offer, Steve. I have one set of Green & White, with the Goldberg ball chain! Just hanging in my shop for nostalgia trips! I never knew about the color-coded flags for 53 MHz. I started flying R/C on Green & White, but my second radio and subsequent ones have all been on 50.880 MHz (CH 04), and the flag is solid black with "50 MHz" printed in white. Apparently one size fits all channels!

There were only two others on 50 MHz in my club, The Arizona Model Pilots Society (AMPS), and they have both died recently, so I have the whole band to myself! Almost all of the club's 250 members are flying on 2.4 GHz, although there are a few still on 72 MHz. The club still has a pin board, although transmitter impound has been discontinued. R/C has certainly changed over the past 30 years. Mostly for the better, I'm sure.

The flag holders I have are the plastic ones that snap over the crown of the antenna, and have two slots to hold the flag. The plastic flags are slippery, so I add a spot of CA glue to attach the flag to the plastic holder. Do you have any of the plastic ones? They're not available any more, so far as I know, and the two I have will wear out before I do, hopefully!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:44 AM
sehlers

Hey Ralph,
The holder you speak of is what Futaba used to give you with a radio system or Transmitter when You bought it. They had a goofy Red Plastic ribbon
on them .That is the only time I recall seeing them much .Out of all the stuff I have I'm sure I have several and probably little intention to use .
I do plan to use some old radios that are updated to 2,4 and maybe fly a few others that would be nice to use these ribbons on for fun ....
Steve