Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

What KV motor for 1/8 buggy??? (newb question)

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What KV motor for 1/8 buggy??? (newb question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
HighClassBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What KV motor for 1/8 buggy??? (newb question)

First of all.... i am very sorry for the newb question.... But I have always been a strictly NITRO guy, and now i am getting into electric.
I am building a couple of 1/8 scale buggies (Xray XB808E and Hyper9E).
Im not a professional racer, just a club racer so i need a good all-round motor setup.
I also dont know what size lipo to run, i was planning on a big 4S Lipo... unless someone suggest something better (is 4S enough??)
Could someone please help me out with what motor/lipo setup to run.
I would like to use a TEKIN motor/ESC.
Also if anyone knows a good site, page, of forum to learn more about electric rc (example what are the differences between KV motors??
You dont know how much i appreciate the help.... I feel like an idiot asking questions like this, i could tell you anything you could want to know about NITRO but this electric stuff is really new to me.
Thank you so much.
Steve
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Shop_monkey

Default RE: What KV motor for 1/8 buggy??? (newb question)

somewhere around 2000kv should do just fine, and yes 4s is perfect for a buggy
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
HighClassBasher

Cool, i was planning on running a 2050KV on 4S.
So what effect does different kV motors have? How are they different?
Again sorry for the newb questions but i have to learn this electric stuff somehow.
Thanks.
Steve
Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
bloodpuppy

4S flys actually
I run 2 2s 5200 batterys and itsalmost to much
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM
DirtyChevyRC

I unfortunetly bought a RedCat Aftershock 8e, along with my buddy. His buggy, parts wise, was trash, while mine is holding up perfect.

He decided to sell me his barely used truck, two stock lipo (2 x 7.4 3800) and Onyx 230 charger for 120$, amazing deal.

Seeing the elextronics in RedCats are built very well, Ihave decided to build a kit buggy with them. Seeing the ESC's hold up and the motor is a 2230KV, I should be ok.

I will mention though for everyone who "doesnt like" RedCat, I know and understand, but for 289$ shipped, this thing is fast.

Im clearing a triples section, easy, at my track when this guy I know was struggling with his Vorza Flux. Given the obvious weight difference, gotta give RedCat a little props ELECTRONICSwise.

But for sure, anything greater than 2000KV and you should be ok.

I am currently looking for an 1/8th scale kit to house my 2230KV motor and esc from the RedCat...Anyone have any suggestions. Was looking towards Ofna, Losi, or HPI..
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM
RcRacer37E

I got the Tekin 1900kv and RX8 esc running 4s packs. 1700kv also work well in the buggy. My son races the buggy (14) and I have the esc turned down to 75% and it still rips. Even with the esc turned down he gets alot of wheel spin and thats just lost power.
Between his nitro and electric there is only .1 seconds lap time difference between the two, nitro ahead. One is a MP9 and the other is a WC but they are set up the same. The WC handles bumps better.
Check out Tekins site, I think the do all their testing with 1700 on 4 or 5 cell packs. IMO anything above 1900 is just wasted power.