Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

ofna 1/8 nitro buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
poppincoppin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna 1/8 nitro buggy

what does everyone think of the OFNA 1/8 nitro buggies?? good, bad etc...???
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
johndavis

Default RE: ofna 1/8 nitro buggy

witch one?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the ofna stuff.
durable, fun, and cheaper than most
some seem to think they aren't for racing but i think they are a great starting point.

stock servos however are weak and should be changed to something stronger/faster
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

i like the ofna stuff.
some seem to think they aren't for racing but i think they are a great starting point.

stock servos however are weak and should be changed to something stronger/faster
I agree 100 percent, you dont have to spend big money if you want to get started racing, this hobby needs more people to stay alive.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: rccheech

i like the ofna stuff.

I agree 100 percent, you dont have to spend big money if you want to get started racing, this hobby needs more people to stay alive.
i wish more felt the way we do.
it is unfortunate that so many others try to get everyone to buy these high dollar critters and when a problem pops up then no one has the funds to repair it, they get discouraged and quit.
crap like that has put some companies under or into a rough patch.
here where i live it has closed down tracks
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM
rccheech

i like the ofna stuff.

i wish more felt the way we do.
it is unfortunate that so many others try to get everyone to buy these high dollar critters and when a problem pops up then no one has the funds to repair it, they get discouraged and quit.
crap like that has put some companies under or into a rough patch.
here where i live it has closed down tracks
Right on man, the same thing is going on here. There is alot of people on this site that look down or bash on others because they dont have a top end buggy, the way I look at it it's supposed to be fun no matter what you have, so many people get "brainwashed" into thinking they need a top buggy or whatever to be competitive, if you ask me, its the budget buyers that will keep this great sport alive, you will never find me bashing someone elses car because it's not a top brand, I look at it as the more on the track the better the fun!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Dr. Blockhed

Got an Ofna LX 1 for xmas, I'm new to the hobby and didn't want to spend a lot to get into it. Gotta say, it's a tough buggy, inexpensive when compared to the top of the line ones, and fun as hell. You def. need to swap out the steering servo ASAP, Ihave the stock throttle and it suits me fine, but after switching out the steering, the difference was signficant.

On another note, the customer service at OFNAis awesome, everytime I send out an email, Iget a reply w/in a few hours. Highly recommend anythingOFNA. They just came out w/ an LX2, and the hyper 7 seems to be pretty popular. If I were going to buy new again, I would probably get the Hyper as the lx1 was just discontinued and there are not many upgrades available.

Hope this helps
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM
bigdogkanicsar

good to hear!
my buggy is an ofna ultra mbx from 2002 and i rebuilt it.
she is rock solid.
replacement servo for steering is most needed, but i replaced both and she'll lock up the brakes and slide around the corners.
she is a blast
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
poppincoppin

thank y'all for you responses, I bought 2 cars, an RC8 nitro and an OFNA - I like them both.  I wanted to ask you what you considered TOP OF THE LINE?  from your responses OFNA is a good starter car - what's the top of the line?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
rccheech

The top line buggys are the ones usually in a kit form or roller, no engine, or any electronics, aircraft 6065 or 7075 aluminium chassis and shock towers ect.... Actually OFNA is one of them that makes the list, the Hyper 9. The top buggys are intended for competitive racing, nothing is really skimped on. Just higher quality parts and alot less upgrading required(most are put in the kit), straight from the box to the track. They are usually labled competition kits on the box.

That in any way shape or form does not mean you cannot be competitive with an entry level buggy, on sanctioned races they require a .21 size engine( thats a whole different world), but on a local or club level, which is way more common it does not matter in most cases, just go out and have fun!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
bigdogkanicsar

The top line buggys are the ones usually in a kit form or roller, no engine, or any electronics, aircraft 6065 or 7075 aluminium chassis and shock towers ect.... Actually OFNA is one of them that makes the list, the Hyper 9. The top buggys are intended for competitive racing, nothing is really skimped on. Just higher quality parts and alot less upgrading required(most are put in the kit), straight from the box to the track. They are usually labled competition kits on the box.

That in any way shape or form does not mean you cannot be competitive with an entry level buggy, on sanctioned races they require a .21 size engine( thats a whole different world), but on a local or club level, which is way more common it does not matter in most cases, just go out and have fun!!!
+1

in all honesty and my personal opinion is you could spend 3000 on a retarded amount of racing equipment and a mugen blah blah blah or other blabidy blah blah and it really don't make a difference. the driving skills have to be there.
ofna stuff IMO is tuff as nails and for starting out you may need that.
i've met very few peeps that can rock the circuit right off the bat.

also from what i've noticed the more a vehicle costs (as far as racing goes), the more things break on it.

alot of people will tell you that an ofna ultra mbx won't keep up with the pack but i beleive other wise.
my buggy flat rocks and runs between 55-60mph but i like em to slide a bit, i'm not a sticker when it comes to corners so i'm usually flyin.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM
McWolf_101

I agree with bigdogkanicsar whole-heartedly. I believe that people sometimes lose sight of what it was that really brought them into this hobby, that is, the FUN. In my opinion, it is not necessary to buy one of the 'high-end' kits unless you're planning to compete at a 'high-end' level. However, that is not to say that you don't buy what you like and what you want. My problem is when those that have forgotten their roots try to tell others that the 'need' to have kit from 'Brand X' because it is 'the best'. There is no 'best' in anything, only what is 'best for you', and the only person that knows the vehicle that would be best for you is YOU. Step 1, learn about your choices beforehand and make an informed decision regarding your purchase(s). Step 2, take time to study the vehicle and other items that you have purchased. Step 3, and most important, GOOUTANDHAVEFUN. Too many people, I think, forget this part. Truth is, having the most expensive and 'fastest' vehicle in ANY type of racing means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when driving skill and heart are lacking. Just my opinions...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
supertib

I own em all, cheap and expensive ! have a old Sportworks Turmoil all the way to a Serpent 811........to a novice they are better suited to start with a cheaper unit to learn the ropes.... But once you start racing, and even on a sportsman level it pays to buy a current race machine.....doesn't mean a expensive race machine, but rather a modern race machine...You don't need to spend a pile of money....All my buggies are tough, expensive and cheap alike........tho I did try a few odd ball cheap buggies like a Nanda Swift and that was not very durable... The Serpents are the most expensive and they are nearly indestructible.....my Sportworks Turmoil is cheap and its also nearly indestructible...... However even on a play track the Serpent will run rings around the Turmoil, there is a really large difference in the handling and how easy it to drive fast.......Now there are some really affordable competitive machines out there, the HB D8 is priced insanely low for what it is...A Mugen is in the middle of the road when it comes to pricing, its more then a HB,but cheaper then any of the other big brands..The Mugen Truggy for example is nearly $200.00 less then the Losi Truggy.. In my eyes the Mugens are like the Honda's of the industry, they offer very good value for their quality........ Some of the areas the newer machines are better is mainly in performance... they are lighter, they have lighter drivetrains, better gearing...They require less HP to be fast and are easier to drive fast......But for the most part i agree with you guys, you don't need to spend a pile of money to have a solid buggy.....
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I my self love Ofna buggys I think there among the best and much cheaper to get in to, I have two hyper 7s one is a older PCR edition IMHO the best rtr hyper 7 Ofna released, my other hyper 7 is the TQ sport black edition, I just bairly have it broken in but all I can say is wow what a buggy for the price I absolutely love it, you could race it right out of the box and still be competitive, I would race both but the race scene where I live seems to be dead anyways you can't loose with Ofna weather your racing or bashin they are one of the elite buggy manufactures at a fraction of the cost compared to kyosho, mugen, or xray
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
airbrushNC
My Feedback: (9)

I thought I would post a couple of pics of my much loved OFNA, I have a couple of the RTRs , Ibelievethe best bang for your buck in RC.
The one in the pics we call the pwner!! It just kills everything even if she is dressed in slayer clothing!

On a side note the best part of any buggy is that it is a do all deal! Need a truck? add foam and body, need an road car? add foam and body!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87803.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1599729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65844.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1599730