Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

How much servo torque do you really need????

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

How much servo torque do you really need????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
All-or-Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much servo torque do you really need????

So what is the recommended minimum torque that you really need for a 1/8 Buggy???
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 PM
lez1troubles

Default RE: How much servo torque do you really need????

Lots but not to much.
Hope this helps.
Hows the MP9 coming along???
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

150oz-in minimum for steering. 100oz-in for brake/throttle.

BUT...it also depends on the quality of the servo. A cheap 150oz-in servo probably won't last long on a rough track, where a good digital one with metal gears and case would be fine. I use high quality 200oz-in servos on all my 1/8th cars, just for the peace of mind.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 AM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Lots but not to much.
Hope this helps.

It's coming along fine and drives wonderful, however my Hitec servos died so i'm looking for a replacement.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 AM
lez1troubles

Check out the FUTABA line up of 1/8 scale buggy servo's.Good price and last along time.
The FUTABA S3305 is a capable steering that hauls an whopping 8+Kg. Thats plenty.
I like the original Digital high speed servo from KYOSHO for the throttle/breaks.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Foxy

8kg is not enough for buggy steering.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm always testing the waters for cheaper alternatives, i just got one of those "pppservos" off ebay.

244oz @ 6v
.13 sec @ 6v

ball bearing, digital and coreless for 40 bucks delivered.

first impressions are pretty good. the only thing i can say bad about it is that it's plastic cased. otherwise it seems very strong and fast. good returning to center. gears are nice, no burrs, no slop.

i haven't given it a true test yet as i'm waiting on a motor. but all signs point to "good deal".
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
jmaxey51

i use the Futaba BLS351 for throttle/brake and Futaba S9157 for steering in my buggy, love the servos, very smooth and and feel stronger and faster than they are. my dad ran my buggy one weekend and now he said he wants the same servos as me bc of how smooth and responsive they are... he uses the Hitec 7955 and hobbico CS-170 (which are the same exact servos) for his truggy, they last for ever and are good for the money too.... ive ran Futaba, hitec, JR, Savox and airtronics servos and by far the Futaba are my favorite then hitec then airtronics (just didnt like the stiffness of them) and i ran JR 9100T for 3 races and sold it, and savox i ran for one quart and sold it....

when i was first starting i was trying to go cheap on servos and found myself spending more in the long run, i recommend buy good and buying once, it will save you money in the long run.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
tommygun32

Which Hitec servos died?? What model numbers? Were the end points set?

ORIGINAL: All-or-Nothing

Lots but not to much.
Hope this helps.

It's coming along fine and drives wonderful, however my Hitec servos died so i'm looking for a replacement.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Which Hitec servos died?? What model numbers? Were the end points set?

They were 5755MG. Everything was fine and the the steering started getting really weak and the throttle would only work no brakes. I checked all the things that could be wrong like battery, RX etc. but they are both dead.

Just scooped up 6 EXI d226f servos from a friend for a quick solution. Still searching for servos unless these EXI ervos prove to be reliable.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
rccheech

The 79 series from hitec are the way to go.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: rccheech

Could be I guess. I know I just spent $150 on these 2 servos that are now paperweights. Gonna give Hitec a call tomorrow.

I hope these EXI servos are pretty good because he uses them in his D8 and Serpent and has no issues with them.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
rccheech

You gotta make sure you end points are set no matter what servos you use, otherwise they will burn up fast
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: All-or-Nothing

Could be I guess. I know I just spent $150 on these 2 servos that are now paperweights. Gonna give Hitec a call tomorrow.

I hope these EXI servos are pretty good because he uses them in his D8 and Serpent and has no issues with them.
hitec has great service, you just fill out their form on the net, send with receipt and the form filled out and they will fix it as long as it wasnt abused badly and is less than 2 years old.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
jmaxey51

You gotta make sure you end points are set no matter what servos you use, otherwise they will burn up fast
+1

Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM
All-or-Nothing

End points were set fine but I will fill out the form online.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
lez1troubles

Just got hold of a FUTABA S9157 Digital servo, Max Torque is 425 Oz-inch and its fast,bit expensive though.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM
jmaxey51

Just got hold of a FUTABA S9157 Digital servo, Max Torque is 425 Oz-inch and its fast,bit expensive though.
great servo! use a LiFe pack and you'll get even more out of it

Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Foxy

This is primarily a plane servo, but ok, whatever floats your boat. I hope you have a SERIOUS receiver battery (a nicd or a lipo) or the servo will be starved for current and operate eratically under load. A regular cheap 6v NiMH reciever pack will struggle to deliver the current it needs, and it will also drain your battery much faster than most servos. I really wouldn't use this servo in a car, it's massive overkill.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: Foxy

This is primarily a plane servo, but ok, whatever floats your boat. I hope you have a SERIOUS receiver battery (a nicd or a lipo) or the servo will be starved for current and operate eratically under load. A regular cheap 6v NiMH reciever pack will struggle to deliver the current it needs, and it will also drain your battery much faster than most servos. I really wouldn't use this servo in a car, it's massive overkill.
that is not true at all, that servo drains the battery less than the BLS servos... there are plenty of servos out that have just as much torque. they are plane servos but they actually can take more abuse than ones made for cars..... and just a little more to add, if you know racing then you probably heard of Ryan Lopez (100% losi driver), he runs that servo on his buggy/truggy, he runs the same setup as i do....

Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

that is not true at all, that servo drains the battery less than the BLS servos... there are plenty of servos out that have just as much torque. they are plane servos but they actually can take more abuse than ones made for cars..... and just a little more to add, if you know racing then you probably heard of Ryan Lopez (100% losi driver), he runs that servo on his buggy/truggy, he runs the same setup as i do....

Not true at all? It's completely true. Whether you CARE or not is another matter. The fact that you can get away with it in a car isn't under dispute. The fact that it's an unnecessarily high current draw servo is also a fact. I'm not disputing you can use it in a car, but a decent 200oz-in would be a much better choice. And I say again, if you want to actually utilise all 400+oz-in, you are gonna need more current than a standard rx pack will give you. To be fair, you are unlikely to ever cause it to pull more than 300oz-in and that would be burst current from a sideways landing or hitting a big bobble in the track under full lock, and therefore the current draw MAY never be a problem, however, if it were regularly subjected to full load, it would kill a regular rx pack pretty quick. Not something Ryan Lopez is worried about I expect, being sponsored

Hope you see what I'm saying. There's a reason Futaba themselves recommend a nicad or lipo for this servo.

I have quite some experience with high power servos. My FG MT is running a 1200oz-in
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63222.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	1604198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60234.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1604199  
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
jmaxey51

Not true at all? It's completely true. Whether you CARE or not is another matter. The fact that you can get away with it in a car isn't under dispute. The fact that it's an unnecessarily high current draw servo is also a fact. I'm not disputing you can use it in a car, but a decent 200oz-in would be a much better choice. And I say again, if you want to actually utilise all 400+oz-in, you are gonna need more current than a standard rx pack will give you. To be fair, you are unlikely to ever cause it to pull more than 300oz-in and that would be burst current from a sideways landing or hitting a big bobble in the track under full lock, and therefore the current draw MAY never be a problem, however, if it were regularly subjected to full load, it would kill a regular rx pack pretty quick. Not something Ryan Lopez is worried about I expect, being sponsored

Hope you see what I'm saying. There's a reason Futaba themselves recommend a nicad or lipo for this servo.

I have quite some experience with high power servos. My FG MT is running a 1200oz-in
im sponsored by futaba also, so i know what these draw out, the BLS351 pulls more current than the S9157, just saying. it may be a little over kill but i would rather have plenty instead of not enough, for pro level racing IMO you need 250oz-in or more for steering. ive ran less and you can really tell it. ... and futaba say NiCD, NiMh or LiFe is better becuase they cant handle high voltage

Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

im sponsored by futaba also, so i know what these draw out, the BLS351 pulls more current than the S9157, just saying. it may be a little over kill but i would rather have plenty instead of not enough, for pro level racing IMO you need 250oz-in or more for steering. ive ran less and you can really tell it. ... and futaba say NiCD, NiMh or LiFe is better becuase they cant handle high voltage

I'll bow to your experience in this matter. I raced buggies long ago, but really I'm a 1/10th nitro on road man. As long as we agree its overkill and that it will work a standard rx pack hard, I'm happy
Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 PM
lez1troubles

It works good, no problem with the batteries I use and it dont give my receiver no problems.
Could I use a 7.2V NiCD or Life battery pack???
Yes it's over kill but so am I.
By the way, I've put it in my KYOSHO MP7.5 MK3 just for fun buggy.
I was using a FUTABA S3305 which I thought was a good servo for the steering, did'nt have any problems with it in the years that its been up front, going to put it in as the throttle servo.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Foxy

To be honest, unless you are really working the servo hard, you will probably be fine with a high quality nimh pack. It might be a good idea to check how hot the battery is after a race. Don't use 7.2v, the servo is rated for 6. A LiFe pack would be a good investment for peace of mind probably, but don't take my word for it, wait for jmaxey to post again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.