Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which RC buggy to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
chillan757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which RC buggy to get

I'm new to RCU, but basically I'm getting out of my old hobby (Professional Gaming) and I want to get into Nitro RC Racing. I have a HPI Firestorm 10T but it's not really setup for racing. I was going to get into truggy racing but I think buggy racing is more popular. So I've been shopping around and two buggies have caught my eye, the HPI trophy buggy and the Losi 8ight buggy. Which would you guys recommend? Please keep in mind I'm going to be new to racing and I don't know much about the 4WD RC Cars. Also, I am open minded to other buggies if you guys have another recommendation.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: Which RC buggy to get

I would drop the HPI from the list and start a top three run: Losi, Team Associated and OFNA, this was what my possibilities list looked like before I got my Losi 8ight!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
chillan757

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the regulation motor size for racing .21? Or does is go by the race? I'm just curious because most of the motors in those buggies are .28 and I thought they were it was supposed to be .21.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Check with your local track, as every track follows their own rules. Here, they don't really care, especially if it is an RTR motor.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
chillan757

Thanks for the info FahrtAutoRC. Now, from what I've seen, I'm thinking about the OFNA Ultra lx2. Any objections? Decently priced, not to old, IMO seems decent. But you guys probably know more than I do. Please be critical I don't want to get something that is crap
Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: chillan757

Thanks for the info FahrtAutoRC. Now, from what I've seen, I'm thinking about the OFNA Ultra lx2. Any objections? Decently priced, not to old, IMO seems decent. But you guys probably know more than I do. Please be critical I don't want to get something that is crap
What is your budget? Is this for racing only or bashing also?Keep in mind that top levelracing buggys can top outat over $1000 Not to saya beginning racer needs atop level vehicle, but don't expect a $300 buggy tobe in the same league.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
chillan757

$300-$400 but absolute max is $500 is my budget. I still have my firestorm for bashing. But I don't expect to be top level racing right off the bat so an ok car will do for me especially seeing as I'll probably tear it to pieces. Any other buggy suggestions?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
chillan757

Also Fahrt why did you recommend removing the HPI from the list? Is it because they use cheap parts or something? I thought my firestorm was a pretty good rc car.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Personally I think HPI is great, just not quite as good as the other ones, overall. Plus, I do not know about you, but here you pretty much have to order off the internet for HPI parts, and they seem to be 2x the price of other companies. I have no problems with HPI. Check into buying a used Losi or Associated for sure, they will be withing your price range and you will likely have enough left over to throw some upgrades on if you like. Check that with your local racers, too, as that is usually where I've found the best deals on things!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
nitroexpress

With a $500 max budget, you can drop the Losi from your list. The Losi kit is $589, add your own engine and electronics. The Losi RTR is $700.

Buying used is always dicey unless you areknowledgeable and personally know the seller. Online descriptions have a way of being very charitable.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
FahrtAutoRC

All he needs is to know what to look for, which comes with doing your homework. I bought mine for $200, had only 5 races on it, another $60 for some used LiPos and I was good to go! Guy had a nitro sitting right next to it, same condition, for $150 minus radio gear and servos, buuuut I am just not interested in nitro. I've messed with my friends rides enough to know the ropes, and someday I'll have one, just not yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

All he needs is to know what to look for, which comes with doing your homework. I bought mine for $200, had only 5 races on it, another $60 for some used LiPos and I was good to go! Guy had a nitro sitting right next to it, same condition, for $150 minus radio gear and servos, buuuut I am just not interested in nitro. I've messed with my friends rides enough to know the ropes, and someday I'll have one, just not yet.
Good for you, but chillan757 probably doesn't have your knowledge. If someone can't see it, touch it, watch it run and look the seller in the eye, it's a crapshoot.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
chillan757

Wow thanks guys for both of your input. I'm still leaning towards the HPI Trophy though. Not because I'm a HPI fanboy or anything, but because the trophy meets the requirements of the 3 tracks in my area.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM
chillan757

Now I'm considering the HPI D8S. Not sure why but I keep going back to HPI. Now it's between the D8S and the trophy 3.5.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM
rccheech

Go with what your heart desires, but keep in mind parts availability...not only at your lhs but at the track as well. Whatever most people are running, the chances are they will have a part to help you out if you break down, sometimes the stupidest little things will put you out of a race for the day and its nice to have a "common" rig.... Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

If your not looking for the new 8.2 kit an RC8 RTR is $500 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA0&P=ML
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
JoePit

You will not be competitive at all with the D8S. The engine is way underpowered compared to other RTR engines. The center driveshafts are also a very weak point on these cars. The Hinge Pin holders are plastic and will need upgrade before you drop that thing on the track. The radio is also bottom of the food chain. If you want a new RTR spend the $650 on the Losi. If that' too much then look for a used buggy here http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade-16/
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
lez1troubles

KYOSHO.