Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Best buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best buggy

I know I'm opening a can of worns OR either "tired" worns but I would like to know of those experience buggy racers, which buggy(s) has been the most reliable in terms of power, little maintanence and quality in built. I've raced on-road cars in the past, MRX, Serpent, Integra, never in great detail but I've been involved. Now I want to do some off-road racing. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated - thanks, Steven
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: Best buggy

Pretty much any of the main brands will suffice, if you have the pockets for them. Th first three that come to mind is Losi, Associated and OFNA. I have no experience with Mugens, but I hear they are great as well.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mugen.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Associated.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM
robg68

I have a mugen mbx-6 eco, all I could say is WOW!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM
elusiveSVT

I have had a few Ofna buggies and had great success with them. Just got a new Hyper 7TQ and am very impressed.No its not a Losi 8ight, but its also 299 vs 599. The best driver can win with the worst buggy, and vice versa.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Sport.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Associated.
lol. You must be joking.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Foxy

John, the Hyper is a great basher, but it's no racer. All of the brands can be driven fast in the correct hands, the differences are in materials, fit and finish, design considerations, even physical beauty, and some are more than just a cut above in those areas. None of those things make it faster round a track, they are all fast round a track given the right setup, but the OP asked whats the best, so if you want to look at best subjectively, you have to look at off-the-track considerations too, and in my opinion, having owned almost all the established brands of 1/8th buggy and truggy (with a fair few exceptions, particularly the new entries, such as Serpent, The Car and Durango, which I haven't owned but hear good things about the serpent), there is nothing to touch Mugen and Xray in the quality stakes (although I wouldn't be surprised if Serpent was equivalent, I have a lot of respect for their stuff, but not the inclination to spend $600 just to find out.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Thanks for your $.02 Foxy. I have been thinking for a while on how to tell this guy what he has is great, but not the best. No offense to you, John, but IMHO and personal experience, I'd take a Vorza or RC8 if I couldn't have my Losi, and nothing before it. The Hyper is great but there are better offerings in the market. I hear the Durango is great too, but I have heard little about the Xray and Mugen so I did not mention them.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

John, the Hyper is a great basher, but it's no racer. All of the brands can be driven fast in the correct hands, the differences are in materials, fit and finish, design considerations, even physical beauty, and some are more than just a cut above in those areas. None of those things make it faster round a track, they are all fast round a track given the right setup, but the OP asked whats the best, so if you want to look at best subjectively, you have to look at off-the-track considerations too, and in my opinion, having owned almost all the established brands of 1/8th buggy and truggy (with a fair few exceptions, particularly the new entries, such as Serpent, The Car and Durango, which I haven't owned but hear good things about the serpent), there is nothing to touch Mugen and Xray in the quality stakes (although I wouldn't be surprised if Serpent was equivalent, I have a lot of respect for their stuff, but not the inclination to spend $600 just to find out.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Fellows, Iappreciate all comments andopinions but I need to revised my question ever so slightly. The basic question still remains the same but the difference I should have mentioned is, "1/8th buggy RTR". I'm not so much as a basher but I'm for sure, built on speed - I fly pattern from the old days, Rossi, YS, ST, OPS - motors that tach 15K on the ground - I'm for sure a speed freak. I have been leaning towards the HPI Pulse in that it has the largest motor (4.6) that I have found for RTR offroad buggy. Again, any comments? - thanks, Steven
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
supertib

My least favorite is the AE car... it is about the most difficult to drive out of all them...it seems to only run decently if its on a ultra high grip track...if the track is slick you couldnt ask for a poorer choice of car...I Also dislike the fuel tank, AE makes the worst fuel tanks in the business.............. Stay clear of this car IMHO....Losi,Serpent,Kyosho,Mugen,Agama will all be much easier to drive and setup..the AE is pretty much only good on high bite,, on a slick track it is terrible
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
HerrSavage

Total bunk.. All people do is rave about the RC8.2 being a massive improvement over the RC8B, and I did alright with my RC8B against Mugens and co, and that against guys with more experience AND anal-retentiveness about setup. I didn't even change my shocks or diffs from whatever the setup had been on it from the guy I bought it from. And my local track is very loose and rough. Stop throwing around BS commentary you know nothing about just to spread all your ranting biases, and in the case of buggy brands, you know nothing about Associated buggies obviously. Not to speak of the two Ryans, who are constantly at the top of the pack with the 8.2, but so are many others all around the world.. The RC8.2 has a ton of steering with the box setup, so - as with ALL buggies, change the setup to fit your track - that's how it's done, right?.. Most of the changes Associated did were to make the RC8B much more like the Kyosho, THE standard which all brands seem to aspire to. AE just manages to sell a car with practically the same quality and competitiveness for hundreds of dollars less... Oh wait, you sell Mugens and Serpents, right?..

The fact is, obviously, there is no best buggy. All the top brands - Associated, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, X-ray etc are all "the best".. A LOT has to do with the driver and the setup, tires, bla bla.. But of course when you have a thread asking for the "best", everybody will post their brand. Which is what I did, jokingly, because it was clear how this thread would develop..

OP, for an RTR, get the Losi. It's the most complete package out there for an RTR. The Hyper is meant to be a good basher, but the Losi will be too, along with being more competitive on a track..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: auggie622

Fellows, I appreciate all comments and opinions but I need to revised my question ever so slightly. The basic question still remains the same but the difference I should have mentioned is, ''1/8th buggy RTR''. I'm not so much as a basher but I'm for sure, built on speed - I fly pattern from the old days, Rossi, YS, ST, OPS - motors that tach 15K on the ground - I'm for sure a speed freak. I have been leaning towards the HPI Pulse in that it has the largest motor (4.6) that I have found for RTR offroad buggy. Again, any comments? - thanks, Steven
The HPI Pulse is an entry level car, no comarison to the cars we've been talking about here, you said you wanted to know which the best is? If you are not going to be driving on a track and want a car that will be durable and go very fast, save your money and get a Hyper 7, as suggested above. The engine in the Pulse is pretty bad, but then you won't be getting the best engine with any RTR. Although I'm not a losi fan at all, I have to agree with Herrsavage, that the losi RTR is the most complete RTR package on the market. Good car with a good radio and a good engine, but you will pay through the nose for it. As for 15k rpm on the ground, good surface nitro engines rev to 40k.

Perhaps the better angle to approach this from would be for you to tell us how much you want to spend and we'll take it from there.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 AM
supertib

Do not buy a AE RC8.2 it is terrible........... handles very very loose and struggles on anything but a high bite surface......this is fact......
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 AM
supertib

Total bunk.. All people do is rave about the RC8.2 being a massive improvement over the RC8B, and I did alright with my RC8B against Mugens and co, and that against guys with more experience AND anal-retentiveness about setup. I didn't even change my shocks or diffs from whatever the setup had been on it from the guy I bought it from. And my local track is very loose and rough. Stop throwing around BS commentary you know nothing about just to spread all your ranting biases, and in the case of buggy brands, you know nothing about Associated buggies obviously. Not to speak of the two Ryans, who are constantly at the top of the pack with the 8.2, but so are many others all around the world.. The RC8.2 has a ton of steering with the box setup, so - as with ALL buggies, change the setup to fit your track - that's how it's done, right?.. Most of the changes Associated did were to make the RC8B much more like the Kyosho, THE standard which all brands seem to aspire to. AE just manages to sell a car with practically the same quality and competitiveness for hundreds of dollars less... Oh wait, you sell Mugens and Serpents, right?..

The fact is, obviously, there is no best buggy. All the top brands - Associated, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, X-ray etc are all ''the best''.. A LOT has to do with the driver and the setup, tires, bla bla.. But of course when you have a thread asking for the ''best'', everybody will post their brand. Which is what I did, jokingly, because it was clear how this thread would develop..

OP, for an RTR, get the Losi. It's the most complete package out there for an RTR. The Hyper is meant to be a good basher, but the Losi will be too, along with being more competitive on a track..

your such a fanboy its not even funny !

the AE car sucks..... it is the loosest, most tail happy machine on the market, and the fuel tank outright stinks.......... I recommend people to stay clear of this one.......I have no less then 2 dozen friends who have tried this car and more then half of them have already dumped them because of this....the only ones still running it are the sponsored guys, all the rest have cleared them out..a Mugen or K-Car drives much much better ! Also this new AE car has some durabili8ty issues coming to the surface....its definitely not the car the internet hype was making it out to be........ this is fact based on real world track experiences by many racers far more skilled and knowledgeable then Patric here........In the end unless you are a highly skilled driver with exceptional skills setting up a chassis I would recommend staying clear of the 8.2......
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 AM
supertib

I Asked one of the guys to summarize the 8.2 vs the Mugen.... here is what he says

Mugen more stable and planted, 8.2 very loose needs a lot of set up to make drivable. Mugen you can drive it hard, 8.2 can't be driven hard.

Tim G

Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Tib at it once again, who'd have thunk it? [&:]

I really am not a huge fan of Associated, but the few times I have driven RC8b and RC8Be, they were both very controlled and well behaved, both outdoor and indoor. Anything, even the Slash, can be a track star in any condition given the right set up. Of course, I am sure myself and several others have been through this with you before, and it resulted in you reverted to solipsism and petty name calling. Bottom line, if you do not know how to set up or tune a vehicle for a specific track, then no, it will not do that well. And trust me, I drive EVERYTHING hard. RC8 is just as good as any other, if you are not a tool who has no tuning skills...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
HerrSavage

Supertib used to shout down everybody's throat how nothing else compared to a Mugen for toughness, never once mentioning that the 6T had about the most brittle A-arms in the whole truggy world.. Etc.. Just one ex. For no other truggy do you see forum threads trying to get a petition to RPM to make arms for it..

I researched getting a Serpent, Mugen, or Associated, and ultimately opted for the AE because I already had a bunch of parts and clutch-bells etc... for it, and was also going for a buggy+engine deal which simply included a car and engine that I was keen to have. So that was it.. I do want to try a Mugen some day though, and the MBX6R is very tempting.. Read around and the word on Serpent is something less than %100 positive or unequivocal. What put me off them was hearing from various sources that it's high-maintenance and set-up picky.. NOWHERE else on the internet do you read this kind of silly criticism of AE. In the main AE threads, though yeah it's kind of annoying that all anybody talks about is running Kyosho shock springs and pistons(but a good answer was given for this - people do this with ALL brands..), you see PLENTY of guys coming from Mugen or Serpent or X-ray or whatever with overwhelmingly positive things to say. You didn't used to see that so much with the older versions of the AE buggy, but I see it a lot now.

In any case, as soon as people started answering this thread with their fanbody brands, I threw in my brand just to be ironic. Of course AE is not the "best" buggy of all the brands - unless of course your name is Maifield or Cavalieri(except when they lose to Tebo/Kyosho and Tessman/Hot Bodies bla bla...) But then if they drove a Mugen or any other brand that would be best.. Which is the point - it's less about the brand, more about the setter-upper, and driver of course... But whatever, here I am getting drawn into a stupid discussion I really just wanted to make fun of...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Foxy

Supertib used to shout down everybody's throat how nothing else compared to a Mugen for toughness, never once mentioning that the 6T had about the most brittle A-arms in the whole truggy world.. Etc.. Just one ex. For no other truggy do you see forum threads trying to get a petition to RPM to make arms for it..

I researched getting a Serpent, Mugen, or Associated, and ultimately opted for the AE because I already had a bunch of parts and clutch-bells etc... for it, and was also going for a buggy+engine deal which simply included a car and engine that I was keen to have. So that was it.. I do want to try a Mugen some day though, and the MBX6R is very tempting.. Read around and the word on Serpent is something less than %100 positive or unequivocal. What put me off them was hearing from various sources that it's high-maintenance and set-up picky.. NOWHERE else on the internet do you read this kind of silly criticism of AE. In the main AE threads, though yeah it's kind of annoying that all anybody talks about is running Kyosho shock springs and pistons(but a good answer was given for this - people do this with ALL brands..), you see PLENTY of guys coming from Mugen or Serpent or X-ray or whatever with overwhelmingly positive things to say. You didn't used to see that so much with the older versions of the AE buggy, but I see it a lot now.

In any case, as soon as people started answering this thread with their fanbody brands, I threw in my brand just to be ironic. Of course AE is not the ''best'' buggy of all the brands - unless of course your name is Maifield or Cavalieri(except when they lose to Tebo/Kyosho and Tessman/Hot Bodies bla bla...) But then if they drove a Mugen or any other brand that would be best.. Which is the point - it's less about the brand, more about the setter-upper, and driver of course... But whatever, here I am getting drawn into a stupid discussion I really just wanted to make fun of...
As for the A-arms, you exaggerate that story more every time you tell it. It was a few cases, nobody seems to really understand why it became so public. Nobody in Greece has had problems with the A-arms as far as I know (and I did ask, way back when this story first appeared). Mugen hasn't and as far as we know, isn't going to update them, so clearly they don't believe there's a problem. Even a google search for 'mbx6 weak arms' doesn't turn anything up written by anyone I trust, and in fact, seems to show as many people saying they never had a problem, as people who don't even own one saying there is.

As for the rest, if you ask me, after driving one and seeing plenty up close and personal, I don't have a major problem with the AE car, it's 'ok'. Wouldn't be my choice, but I can understand why some people like it. As for people going from other brands to AE, sure, there are just as many going from AE to mugen or xray.

You say, there is no best as its all down to setup and driver. OK, lets take those out of the equation, what have you got left to decide 'best', you got looks, quality, materials, fit and finish, durability, upgrades needed, etc. The thing for me about Mugen and Xray is not just materials choices (particularly Xray's steel parts and Mugen's use of carbon fiber), fit and finish of parts, design quality, the durability that is inherent when a model fits together so well, but mainly its that they both come out of the box ready to be built, setup and placed on a track. Absolutely no upgrades required. Plenty of options if you like that sort of thing, but no 'upgrades'. That's what makes them 'the best' for me.

But hey, as you say, we're starting to get a bit off topic, lets see what the OP wants to spend and take it from there.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
HerrSavage

I've reached the point where frankly I am very keen to buy and try a Mugen or an X-ray - the MX6R and XB9 are sexy to me in a way their predecessors weren't. But that doesn't mean AE sucks. Or is worse in any way whatsoever. ALL the top brands are "the best". I only got my RC8.2, not because I am a "fanboy" - as several people here are, some admittedly.. - but because it just seemed easier since I already had parts laying around, and okay it was 100 bucks cheaper.. Still, some guy with a "cheap" Hot Bodies D8 who pays attention to setup more than I do will have a "better" buggy than I will, or anybody with a Mugen or X-ray who doesn't invest the effort into that he does... And so it goes..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
supertib

all cars are not equal............ every car has its different nuances rooted into the design of the car that are beyond what can be changed with setup....... No car is everything... SOme cars are much better at some things then other cars are.......The AE car is a good car, but it is extremely aggressive and twitchy, especially if you run a lower traction surface..... It is probably the most aggressive car on the market today..... It has razor sharp reflexes and can turn under any other car........Because of this nature the car can be quite difficult to drive for the common joe racer... This car is not forgiving in any way shape or form.... If you have razor sharp reflexes and some serious skill there is no faster machine then the 8.2.......However I have seen time and time again the average Joe get very frustrated with the car and its tendency to be twitchy and tail happy...... This car takes some serious skill to wheel fast.it is very capable, unfortunately it is just too much car for most racers at the club level........ For the average Joe there are far easier to drive, more forgiving platforms available...... Unless of course you run a track that has exceptional traction, then the 8.2 can be quite manageable by the average Joe, but if the track is slick the car is a major handfull to keep under control..............IMO if a person is on RCU asking what buggy to buy the AE car is probably the last car he should be looking at, it is far too aggressive IMHO....
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
FahrtAutoRC

What you are implying is finesse. I drove the balls off of each one and found out the more power it has, and the harder I drove it, the better it was. Just likes to be driven fast, that is all.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

What you are implying is finesse. I drove the balls off of each one and found out the more power it has, and the harder I drove it, the better it was. Just likes to be driven fast, that is all.

so you have the skills to drive like that.... where do you race ? and what races have you won ?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I race local tracks, and win local races, and not that often for either at the moment. Why would it matter, though?

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

so you have the skills to drive like that.... where do you race ? and what races have you won ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.