Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buggy to Truggy conversion

Okay this may be a stupid question. I am just wondering because I haven't heard it addressed specifically, Is a Truggy basically a buggy with wider wheels and tires and a cab-forward bulldog body? I would like to try this conversion if it is that easy. And yes I know about the center differential thing, but don't most buggies have a center diff? In the old days I was able to make my RC10 gold pan into a MT with just a rim/tire change and the body posts and body. Am I missing something? Is the Truggy wheelbase longer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Buggy to Truggy conversion

ORIGINAL: dodge4219

Okay this may be a stupid question. I am just wondering because I haven't heard it addressed specifically, Is a Truggy basically a buggy with wider wheels and tires and a cab-forward bulldog body? I would like to try this conversion if it is that easy. And yes I know about the center differential thing, but don't most buggies have a center diff? In the old days I was able to make my RC10 gold pan into a MT with just a rim/tire change and the body posts and body. Am I missing something? Is the Truggy wheelbase longer?

Not that familiar with the RC10 gold pan, but wasn't that a 2wd 1/10 scale? A proper truggy is always a 4wd and themajority are 1/8 scale.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A 1/8th truggy differs from a 1/8th buggy in that...

1) It has a longer chassis and wheelbase
    2) It has longer arms making it wider
    3) It has much larger and wider tires.
    4) It has a truck body.

Aside from that, the differences are incidental. Converting a 1/8th Buggy to Truggy involves changing the chassis, all 6 of the driveshafts, all the arms, usually the wheel hubs, and of course the wheels, tires and body. It is often more economical to buy a truggy kit outright.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Foxy, that is the straight forwad ranswer I was looking for. I still think just for kicks I will try some larger tiresand wider rims on my RC8b2e

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back in the days when truggies didn't exist yet I built this from a hyper7 rtr,, it was very difficult to control off the jumps being so short.. Good times

You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Back in the days when truggies didn't exist yet I built this from a hyper7 rtr,, it was very difficult to control off the jumps being so short.. Good times
    I built one of these out of my hyper 7 this weekend! I used Savage wheels and tires so it was a bit of a project, but looks very simular to what you have pictured here. I finished it yesturday but it was raining buckets so no beat down run yet....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great! Just remember to toe-in the rear tires 2 degrees and put some negative camber in there also about 2 degrees. This will help stabilize the squirelly straight line shots.