Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Buggy to Truggy conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
dodge4219

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy to Truggy conversion

Okay this may be a stupid question. I am just wondering because I haven't heard it addressed specifically, Is a Truggy basically a buggy with wider wheels and tires and a cab-forward bulldog body? I would like to try this conversion if it is that easy. And yes I know about the center differential thing, but don't most buggies have a center diff? In the old days I was able to make my RC10 gold pan into a MT with just a rim/tire change and the body posts and body. Am I missing something? Is the Truggy wheelbase longer?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Buggy to Truggy conversion

ORIGINAL: dodge4219

Okay this may be a stupid question. I am just wondering because I haven't heard it addressed specifically, Is a Truggy basically a buggy with wider wheels and tires and a cab-forward bulldog body? I would like to try this conversion if it is that easy. And yes I know about the center differential thing, but don't most buggies have a center diff? In the old days I was able to make my RC10 gold pan into a MT with just a rim/tire change and the body posts and body. Am I missing something? Is the Truggy wheelbase longer?

Not that familiar with the RC10 gold pan, but wasn't that a 2wd 1/10 scale? A proper truggy is always a 4wd and themajority are 1/8 scale.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 1/8th truggy differs from a 1/8th buggy in that...

1) It has a longer chassis and wheelbase
2) It has longer arms making it wider
3) It has much larger and wider tires.
4) It has a truck body.

Aside from that, the differences are incidental. Converting a 1/8th Buggy to Truggy involves changing the chassis, all 6 of the driveshafts, all the arms, usually the wheel hubs, and of course the wheels, tires and body. It is often more economical to buy a truggy kit outright.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 AM
dodge4219

Thanks Foxy, that is the straight forwad ranswer I was looking for. I still think just for kicks I will try some larger tiresand wider rims on my RC8b2e
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in the days when truggies didn't exist yet I built this from a hyper7 rtr,, it was very difficult to control off the jumps being so short.. Good times

Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Back in the days when truggies didn't exist yet I built this from a hyper7 rtr,, it was very difficult to control off the jumps being so short.. Good times
I built one of these out of my hyper 7 this weekend! I used Savage wheels and tires so it was a bit of a project, but looks very simular to what you have pictured here. I finished it yesturday but it was raining buckets so no beat down run yet....
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 AM
dodge4219

Looks great! Just remember to toe-in the rear tires 2 degrees and put some negative camber in there also about 2 degrees. This will help stabilize the squirelly straight line shots.