Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend on your nitro buggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

How much do you spend on your nitro buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you spend on your nitro buggy?

I've had my 2wd SC10 for 2 years now and I've been enjoying racing it. I was thinking maybe I'll have the patience to get a nitro vehicle running now. If not I got the SC10 to play with until I get the tuning right. I mostly worry about the cost of fuel. I don't think parts will cost more than a 1/10 scale SCT will it? So how much do you spend on your nitro buggy? I'm just wondering. I'm not able to get a nitro buggy in a while.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How much do you spend on your nitro buggy?

1/8th buggy is a MUCH more expensive class than short course. Imagine doubling your costs, for the car, for consumables, for everything.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
cirec

Maybe I can be cheap on getting a nitro buggy. I have a Redcat dealer by me. (Well right now there moving a bit farther away.) So the Hurricane XTR sounds like a good option. I will not seriously get into nitro racing but it sounds like a blast. When you said 1/8 buggies are more expensive do you mean electric ones too?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a Hyper buggy and have a blast..

Racing is an uptight money-pit.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cirec

Maybe I can be cheap on getting a nitro buggy. I have a Redcat dealer by me. (Well right now there moving a bit farther away.) So the Hurricane XTR sounds like a good option. I will not seriously get into nitro racing but it sounds like a blast. When you said 1/8 buggies are more expensive do you mean electric ones too?
Yeh, setup costs for electric are very high too (expensive cars, expensive batteries, etc) but running costs are pretty good. Tires and wheels basically.

If you want a cheap buggy, as Herrsavage said, get a Hyper 7. $300 ready to run.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
celica49

Really, fuel doesnt cost that much. You should be able to get a case of fuel (6 gallons, more than enough to last a couple years) for about $110. If you think about it, you could only get 2 decent batteries, or one really "top shelf" battery for that cost. Other than that you just have consumables like your tires and wheels, clutch shoes, fuel lines, and glow plugs. Honestly I dont see a whole lot of difference, just because youre initial inversment is a bit less as well than it would be for a strong electric.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nitro 1/8 isn't that expensive, tires are not that bad if you go with duratrax (they are good tires, just inexpensive) durability is very high, almost no money is put into repairs and spares. startup is high, but in my opinion, its one of the cheapest classes in the long run.

I'm not sure what the hubbub is about costs, you don't need a $370 engine to be competitive, a $160 is enough to do the job, and will last 6-10 gallons between rebuilds.

1/8 electric IS expensive, $200 batts, $200 chargers $400 motor combo's screw that!

some people are just racist to nitro and 1/8....
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Haddi Taha

This may sound stupid but how long can you drive for each gallon (I know it depends on your driving style just need a ball park figure) with a 8 scale buggy?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 AM
The_Shark

I can go to the track and run 8 hours of practice time (car running the whole time) I get fuel for $20 a gallon, VP power too.
and thats running the car slightly rich and running it very hard.

I put down probably 24 hours of running on my buggy at the track (hyper 9 2.0 GL) and only busted a $3 part. and thats running hard, hitting tubes, a couple mid air collisions and one or two lawn-darts into a jump, the tires I bought before I ran it still have 75% of life left and where $50 a set of 4.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get into organized racing though, you eventually start feeling pressured to have a second kit for parts, a backup engine, three-four sets of tires, etc... Hell, you can easily drop $150 just for a preheater with batteries.. - and lots of people do.. I think for what it is, 1/8 scale racing is very expensive. You can show up with an RTR Losi for ex.. But within a season you'll double your investment at least.. Not including fuel..

And that IMO is about as cheap as you can really do it.. Double the cost (minimum) of a Losi RTR not including fuel.. As an exception some may be able to pull it off cheaper, but not many will.. My opinion anyway.

I guess it's different all over. But here in Germany anyway, if you want to really get into racing, you need a mobile home/RC garage. Seriously..

Each track in a given series has only a couple races a year, so you have to travel around to the different races. At every race the parking lot is always filled with mobile homes... So yeah, take that Losi RTR and multiply the price times 50 or whatever...
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Haddi Taha

If conditions here change and I get a 8 scale buggy (hyper 7 rtr) it will be for bashing only, I don't race anymore. It seems that if you take care of your nitro buggy, you don't need much other than fuel, tires, spark plugs, clutch shoes and fuel lines. Not to bad and will be nice to run every now and then. Can't get it now, just got a awesome thunder tiger mt4 so I don't want another RC till i bored with it.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

If you get into organized racing though, you eventually start feeling pressured to have a second kit for parts, a backup engine, three-four sets of tires, etc... Hell, you can easily drop $150 just for a preheater with batteries.. - and lots of people do.. I think for what it is, 1/8 scale racing is very expensive. You can show up with an RTR Losi for ex.. But within a season you'll double your investment at least.. Not including fuel..

And that IMO is about as cheap as you can really do it.. Double the cost (minimum) of a Losi RTR not including fuel.. As an exception some may be able to pull it off cheaper, but not many will.. My opinion anyway.

I guess it's different all over. But here in Germany anyway, if you want to really get into racing, you need a mobile home/RC garage. Seriously..

Each track in a given series has only a couple races a year, so you have to travel around to the different races. At every race the parking lot is always filled with mobile homes... So yeah, take that Losi RTR and multiply the price times 50 or whatever...
and thats what makes the hobby more daunting than fun.

have a couple spare arms, shock shafts, knuckles and wings. two sets of tires and call it a day,
Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM
jonnytitelips

I paid 175 for my GS storm and it only had 1/2 gallon thru it when I got it. Raced it for a season bent the shock tower, put it up and left for the army. Now that I'm out, I got to get a few things for her now but has under 2 gallons thru her total. Now I have had the thing for about 5 years.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

Don't let cost keep you from getting into 1/8 scale. My kids and I have been driving 1/10 scale for years and some guys at the track let them drive their 1/8 scale nitro buggies and it was on from there. Our first 1/8 scale was a Ofna Ultra LX comp that my son traded a brushless Losi Mini T for that he was selling for $75. Over several months he has spend about $50 on parts, a gallon of fuel and a servo. Has had hours of fun with it. The car is starting to get a little worn out so rather than spend a bunch of money on it, he just picked up a brand new Hot Bodies D8 roller for under $200. Now I am in the market for an 1/8 scale buggy as well.

Buy used, there are a lot of nitros out there for great prices, or even the Ofna RTRs new are under $300, great deal!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

If conditions here change and I get a 8 scale buggy (hyper 7 rtr) it will be for bashing only, I don't race anymore. It seems that if you take care of your nitro buggy, you don't need much other than fuel, tires, spark plugs, clutch shoes and fuel lines. Not to bad and will be nice to run every now and then. Can't get it now, just got a awesome thunder tiger mt4 so I don't want another RC till i bored with it.
I've had my 8ight 2.0 for almost 2 years. I have got 4 gallons of heavy driving and abuse through it. In those 4 gallons I have not broken a single part (other than glow plugs). I have never taken the engine out,even stripped a gear or even broken a suspension arm. If you want durability, its got it.