Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Can't decide on 1/8 Scale Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Vertiviper
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on 1/8 Scale Buggy

Hi Folks,

I've been doing a bit of research for a 1/8 buggy. As we all know there are many brands. I'm having a tough time deciding on which buggy to get. I thought I'd ask you opinion on what you guys like using?

A few things that might help you help me are:
-I enjoy building from the ground up
-I would rather spend more up front and do it right then patch together something
-I have experience in RCs, mostly heli's and 1/5 scale Bajas

Of course the best bang for the buck is always welcomed.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Can't decide on 1/8 Scale Buggy

You looking to get seriously into racing, or more just messing around?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: Vertiviper

Hi Folks,

I've been doing a bit of research for a 1/8 buggy. As we all know there are many brands. I'm having a tough time deciding on which buggy to get. I thought I'd ask you opinion on what you guys like using?

A few things that might help you help me are:
-I enjoy building from the ground up
-I would rather spend more up front and do it right then patch together something
-I have experience in RCs, mostly heli's and 1/5 scale Bajas

Of course the best bang for the buck is always welcomed.

Thanks!
What is your budget?Racing or Bashing?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Vertiviper

I'm mostly looking to mess around. Durability for bashing is VERY important, and I also like speed. Budget is 3-600.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
nitroexpress

I'm mostly looking to mess around. Durability for bashing is VERY important, and I also like speed. Budget is 3-600.
Bashers are usually RTR and racers are usually kits.

With no weight limits, bashers can be tougher. Vehicles for racing are targeted to specific weight limits. Racers can be strong, butweight limits enter into the durability equation.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 AM
bizackodil

hi

my favorite is caster racing EB_1
its really really strong and very good basher and racer. the elektronik engin is fusion 2065KV its speed can up to 75 KM

so i preffer that
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

OFNA Lx2e kit. $200 at TowerHobbies. Toro brushless motor/esc for 1/8th scale buggies at Hobbyhot.com ~$160. Yur choice of radio/receiver. Lipos from Hobbyking. I have been recommended these and am waiting to purchase till I have the money. And the minute I have the money, I will be pressing the order button.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Vertiviper

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

OFNA Lx2e kit. $200 at TowerHobbies. Toro brushless motor/esc for 1/8th scale buggies at Hobbyhot.com ~$160. Yur choice of radio/receiver. Lipos from Hobbyking. I have been recommended these and am waiting to purchase till I have the money. And the minute I have the money, I will be pressing the order button.
I've been hearing a lot of good about the lx2e kits. I'll have to look at those Toro combos, too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 AM
cumminspower5.9

I've been hearing a lot of good about the lx2e kits. I'll have to look at those Toro combos, too. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem. The Toro system can handle up to 6s lipo. But just as any other RC, the drivetrain will be saying ouch if bashing on 6s and you will be stripping gears and blowing diffs. Save that for speed runs.. I will stick with 4s and once in a while run 6s, depending on temps. The brushless system looks pretty well made too. Nice combo. The lx2e looks like a well built rc and I can't wait to get it and put it together. Plus, you can't beat the price.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Vertiviper

No problem. The Toro system can handle up to 6s lipo. But just as any other RC, the drivetrain will be saying ouch if bashing on 6s and you will be stripping gears and blowing diffs. Save that for speed runs.. I will stick with 4s and once in a while run 6s, depending on temps. The brushless system looks pretty well made too. Nice combo. The lx2e looks like a well built rc and I can't wait to get it and put it together. Plus, you can't beat the price.
What kind of servo's are decent?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything over 160oz-in of torque at 6v for steering. You will also want decent speed as well. The TowerPro MG996 is a cheap option, but you can get much better if you are willing to spend more. My favorite 1/8th steering servo is the XP DS1015, but it's a $90 servo. If you ask me, you shouldn't go cheap on the stuff that makes sure you stay in control of the car.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Vertiviper

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Anything over 160oz-in of torque at 6v for steering. You will also want decent speed as well. The TowerPro MG996 is a cheap option, but you can get much better if you are willing to spend more. My favorite 1/8th steering servo is the XP DS1015, but it's a $90 servo. If you ask me, you shouldn't go cheap on the stuff that makes sure you stay in control of the car.
10-4 on the not going cheap for servos. I come from a history of flying 90 sized helis 3D. Last thing you want is to go cheap on something that ultimately controlls your investment.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM
MorganSS

if you are just bashing around look for a good replacement roller for parts

just get some rtr unless you want to race it later, then you need something with a bit more refinement
Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Vertiviper

So, i've decided on the OFNA LX2e kit, Tekin RX8 2050kv, and DS1015 servo.

What kind of batteries do you guys like? Ideally i'd like to run 6s for those "Crazy" times, but less when i'm not feeling adventerous.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
cumminspower5.9

Try some lipos from hobbyking. 40c or more. If your charger can handle it, buy a single 4s, or 2 2s lipos and run them in series. Get two 3s lipos and run in series as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Vertiviper

Try some lipos from hobbyking. 40c or more. If your charger can handle it, buy a single 4s, or 2 2s lipos and run them in series. Get two 3s lipos and run in series as well.
How's the quality of those at Hobbyking?

What sort of mAH you recommend?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Mufasa_719

Turnigy and gens ace are the "cheap" but very good batterys