Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Hyper 7 differentials, questions in need of answers!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 7 differentials, questions in need of answers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hyper 7 differentials, questions in need of answers!

ORIGINAL: proptop

I wonder if maybe there is a manuf. flaw in the plastic cup, or maybe a hairline crack somewhere around the threaded hole?

Silicone RTV sealer would probably work O.K.? I don't think the silicone diff oil would disolve it, once it's had a chance to cure throughly? Let the sealer cure over-night before introducing the diff oil perhaps? (you probably already know that you don't want to use loctite on plastic parts like that? )
Why don't you want to use loctite on plastic. I didn't know that. Sorry I don't know a bunch. I will rebuild with rtv
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there is a lot to learn...a continuing process...believe it or not, even some of us "older farts" don't know everything...! (major sarcasm here )

The solvents (or also known as the liquid "vehicle" or "carrier" of the solids component ) can eat into a lot of different plastics.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tamiya threadlock is fine with most plastics.

I bought the kit version in 2004 and it's still going strong, even the original Hyper 21 engine. I should really strip it down and check everything is ok.

Is there anything in the build manual that i can post a picture of that may help you ?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well before I read the post of not using thread lock I put blue thread lock on it and screwed it back in. That was last night, ran it today and no leaks. I guess we will see if the threadlock holds. It seemed to do the trick today.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything gummy will block it....but RTV would be more usual.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole Loctite thing started years ago... some of us out at the flying field were talking of the (then new ) Hitec servos with Karbonite gears.
Hitec said Do Not use any loctite on the servo arm retaining screw(s ) or failure of the output shaft could result. I don't know why anyone would feel the need to use it with that sort of set-up... that kind of screw threaded into plastic doesn't typically back out easily? But anyway....from then on.........

It's common practice to use it on the output arm screws in metal geared servos though, so the output arm doesn't fall off while you're driving / flying...

The plastic that hitec calls Karbonite is similar to the plastics used in a lot of r/c car chassis, suspension and drive line parts...

Your grub screw should be fine...there's no real stress on it...It's probably partially bonded w/ the diff cup...your leak should be stopped up now! If it ain't...then...hmmmmm....
Old 12-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proptop
your leak should be stopped up now! If it ain't...then...hmmmmm....
Fingers crossed.