Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

My new buggy!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Nitro Andrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new buggy!

Hi everyone,

Hereare some pictures of my new race car I got for Christmas. It's a Losi 8ight 2.0. I am going to break in the engine on Saturday. It's so clean right now Idon't want to get it dirty, but I know I will.

I caught my dad taking a picture of one of his cars next to the fireplace, we all made fun of him, so decided it will be a tradition for each new car!!

I'm going to run Nitrotane 30% on this engine. Do you think that is okay, or should Igo with 20%, which I use on my other cars? I also want to get some AKA City Block tires for when I race it. Ilove the transmitter that comes with it, and Iam going to get the same receivers for my other cars so I can sync them up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10566.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	1836398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68481.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	1836399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55159.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1836400  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Nitro Andrew

Default RE: My new buggy!

I also noticed that it has a two-shoe clutch setup and that surprised me. I will try it with 2-shoes, but want to upgrade when Isave up some money. I've read where some people run 4-shoes on this buggy, but was thinking about the M2C 3-shoe. The part number is M2C6090. Do you have any recommendations on this?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, nice car! I assume your local track will tell you what fuel you should use in order to be in line with their rules. If they allow it, go for the 30% (will this engine need a shim for 30%? I don't know, but you should check with people who do know). As for clutch shoes, I'd say try it as it is until the stock one wears out, at least then you'll be able to say what you need for the next one, rather than going pot luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice buggy! The 8ights are nice. If you run 20% in everything else it would make sense to just run 20% in this one too just for simplicity. But running 30% won't hurt it at all. You don't need to shim it either. 30% will give you a marginal performance increase. I did some testing with 20% vs. 30% fuel about a year ago to test the RPM and speed difference between the two. I did the testing in a 1/8 truggy with a couple different engines ( LRP .28, Werks B6 and an OS .21Vspec) and the difference was roughly the same between each iof them. 2-3 MPH increase in top speed with 30% fuel and an increase of approximately 1000-1500rpm. One benifit of 30% over 20% is you have a wider "tuning window" so it will be slightly easier to tune. All these differences are marginal and really can't be felt in the real world. But it does increrase power and performance slightly.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Question, when is it needed and what does shimming do when you are running a higher percentage of Nitro.? I also see turbo head buttons listed a lot, what does that do for the engine?

Also nice buggy, very promising.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

Question, when is it needed and what does shimming do when you are running a higher percentage of Nitro.? I also see turbo head buttons listed a lot, what does that do for the engine?

Also nice buggy, very promising.
My understanding is that adding shims reduce compression as it affects head clearance and consequently ignition timing (i.e. avoid overheating). I'm unsure, but assume turbo heads allow you to use turbo plugs. I've heard it provides more power and better fuel mileage, and I've heard that it does the opposite. I'm sure others on here can chime in with better intel, but this is my understanding.

p.s. Yakfish, that is VERY interesting regarding your fuel tests. I've always wondered if anyone had ever conducted a test as such.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thin metal gasket/shim between the cylinder sleeve and the head button. Some engines require an extra shim to be placed under the head button to run higher nitro content fuels. Adding a shim reduces compression by adding volume to the combustion chamber which in turn lowers cylinder pressure and retards the ignition timing. In the case of high nitro content fuels this reduces the chance of detonation which is the fuel igniting before it is supposed to. Whatever power lost to reduced compression is made up by the higher nitro content in the fuel.

Turbo heads require turbo plugs. When installed they have a combustion chanber shape that is supposed to be more efficient and produce more power This is because the plug doesn't sit into the chamber obstructing the burn and flow like a standard plug. Instead it sits flush and helps form a smooth rounded shape in the chamber to help improve the burn and flow. Thats the theory, I've never tried to prove or disprove it. In my experience turbo plugs did seem to last slightly longer though.

Edit: JohnP2 good call on the ignition timing, I missed that totally. And at first I thought you were referring to port timing, either way I had to edit my post.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive
Edit: JohnP2 good call on the ignition timing, I missed that totally. And at first I thought you were referring to port timing, either way I had to edit my post.
Ha ha! Thank you sir. I learned the hard way about shims. One time I bent the shim while jacking with the engine on my Exceed Forza. It would not even start. Itore apart the engine again and started putting 2+2 together, and voila! Once the shim was fixed, the engine fired that is when I became interested in how compression works. I'm still a novice, but LOVE trying to figure out this sort of stuff. I'll get there one day, i'm sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
the imitator

nice pick up
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 AM
mattster1971

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive
Ha ha! Thank you sir. I learned the hard way about shims. One time I bent the shim while jacking with the engine on my Exceed Forza. It would not even start. I tore apart the engine again and started putting 2+2 together, and voila! Once the shim was fixed, the engine fired that is when I became interested in how compression works. I'm still a novice, but LOVE trying to figure out this sort of stuff. I'll get there one day, i'm sure.
Ah, thanks guys, I am going to up shim my hyper .28 since I am running 30% nitro and see how that feels with ignition. And again, sweet ride Andrew. Pretty soon I am going to set up my son who is 10 with his own forum name so he can get in the mix.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Anthoop

No need to add extra shims to run 30% on the Macstar .28.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
mattster1971

really? Why do you say that? And what would be the result of shimming it a little thicker? Like .03 instead of .01. I have both sizes.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I haven't owned a nitro Losi, but I've gone head to head with them against my Tekno conv. 8ight, and I was impressed how well they did box stock.

When you are ready to upgrade, I've heard many local racers praising the Ryan Lutz Alpha engines like no other. They seem to work very well, too, from I've seen
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Anthoop

really? Why do you say that? And what would be the result of shimming it a little thicker? Like .03 instead of .01. I have both sizes.
I used to run 30% in my Macstar.28 without problems with the standard shims, I now run 25%. Adding more shims will decrease the compression ratio and increase the squish band clearance giving less performance. You will not hurt anything by adding an extra shim if you want to.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
mattster1971

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

I used to run 30% in my Macstar.28 without problems with the standard shims, I now run 25%. Adding more shims will decrease the compression ratio and increase the squish band clearance giving less performance. You will not hurt anything by adding an extra shim if you want to.
So you say it won't hurt anything but in the previous sentence you said it will give less performance. So increasing the shim will degrade performance? Will it have any benefit? Why is increased shimming sometimes warranted, why did I hear increase in the nitro methane percentage requires increased shimming? Thanks..

Andrew... How is the new buggy running? I have been looking for a vid from you guys with it running. How do you like it in comparison to your Hyper 7? Thanks...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Anthoop

So you say it won't hurt anything but in the previous sentence you said it will give less performance. So increasing the shim will degrade performance? Will it have any benefit? Why is increased shimming sometimes warranted, why did I hear increase in the nitro methane percentage requires increased shimming? Thanks..
I meant adding more shims than you need would not physically hurt anything (as in- you would not damage the engine).

Thinking more about the performance thing now- if you could adjust the compression ratio without altering the squish clearance then, higher compression will give more torque and less compression will give more rpm. However unless you are making your own head buttons you are stuck with shims. Here is an article on squish (if you were wondering) http://www.rcboat.com/cr.htm

An engine will have a compression ratio that is suited to a range of nitro percentage, if the compression ratio dictates that 25% would be the maximum you could run then you would need to lower the CR to run 30%. I have found that the Macstar will run 30% without any alteration, it may run 35% without...I do not know.

You could start up a thread...we have gone pretty off-topic.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Nitro Andrew

Andrew... How is the new buggy running? I have been looking for a vid from you guys with it running. How do you like it in comparison to your Hyper 7? Thanks...
The buggy isrunning great. It is much faster than my Hyper 7. My dad, who is JohnP2and I raced at the school last week. He was driving his D8T which is sick. He won but it was my first time going full throttle on the Losi 8 so I just need more practice. I do think my buggy is just as fast as his truggy.I don'tthink Iwill ever go full throttle on the track.We are spending the whole day at the track on Saturday. That is where I will test how tough it is. I predict something will break and I cant race that day, but I want to fix anything that might break before I enter the race anyway. I do not think it is as tough as the Hyper 7, but we will see. Hopefully there will be kids there to pick up the cars when they turn over so my dad and I can race on as real offroad track.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM
mattster1971

ORIGINAL: Nitro Andrew

The buggy is running great. It is much faster than my Hyper 7. My dad, who is JohnP2 and I raced at the school last week. He was driving his D8T which is sick. He won but it was my first time going full throttle on the Losi 8 so I just need more practice. I do think my buggy is just as fast as his truggy. I don't think I will ever go full throttle on the track. We are spending the whole day at the track on Saturday. That is where I will test how tough it is. I predict something will break and I cant race that day, but I want to fix anything that might break before I enter the race anyway. I do not think it is as tough as the Hyper 7, but we will see. Hopefully there will be kids there to pick up the cars when they turn over so my dad and I can race on as real offroad track.
Cool, good luck to you both, let us know how it goes. Its 15 degrees outside here so I am stuck just tinkering around indoors. Ugh
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
jleblanc
My Feedback: (17)

nice buggy bud!!!....Love the paint scheme