Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Bought a Duratrax 835B Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bought a Duratrax 835B Buggy

lol good deal. Forgot to mention the front knuckle lower screw came out while i was running the other day. Didnt get a picture but if you look at page 15 illustration 12 the screw (L) that backed out. Not a big deal but might be worth checking those while you are looking it over.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
MastuhWaffles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did tank 1 today, started up perfect and ran just fine. Then I couldnt get to tank 2, the glow starter sucks the life out of c battery's so I couldnt get it to start, then when I was able to find a battery that had juice i couldnt get the idle set right for it to run without the glow starter. My hands have blitsters lol, so I'm just going to wait a little while before i start again. I re adjusted the high speed needle then i adjusted the idle screw.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
MastuhWaffles

So I got a battery that was working and finally went off do doing the 5 tank break in. It all went smoothly and I got the 5 tanks done then started dialing it in for a tune. On the 7th tank I had it dialed in perfectly! You could not ask for a more perfect tune, and it runs great, my hands are pretty bad shape, blisters, dirt, nitro fuel, ouch. But I forgot how dirty the nitros get, the exhaust condensation gets everywhere and puts all this dirty black stuff it picks up on the buggy, looks like I got some cleaning to do, but was worth it, hot today, but now I have a awesome working buggy with a perfect tune. And on the plus side nothings broken! Yet.. After run inspection and cleaning, all's good, the clutch bell screw is still on there and its holding it nice and tight, with the little play I left in it, so thats good. Just gotta clean the gunk off and presto, good as new, the only downside it that the cleaners today had thrown away my body pins! RRRRRRRR

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Zonked

Great to hear, fun little buggy that does run very well. Would recommend a bump box or roto start to save on the blisters lol. Out of the box the toe and camber are on the extreme side so you may want to adjust that.

Dont know if the carb's are different from the old ST .27 but they hold tune much better than the old motors ever did.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
MastuhWaffles

For it to hold a great tune on the 7th tank is pretty good. Yeah, I was going to get the roto start from duratrax. The toe and camber seem like they are fine, but I might go about adjusting them. I just have this lingering feeling something is going to break. I'm just hoping nothing does. Its still breaking in, it says to up to 15 tanks but the major part is done, but yeah the setup for it has right now is perfect for the oval track.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Zonked

Well if it breaks that means you are having fun Gonna take it to the track in a few weeks and give it a good controlled bash or as some call "racing" lol. Picked up a few spare front knuckles and arms incase something does break.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
flatpickhippster

Mounted some Losi (LOSA17759) street tires on the 835B.
Amain had'em for $19 a pair premounted on yellow rims.

Its been muggy and rainy in ChltNC and after a couple tanks dialing engine in I ripped up some slighty wet asphalt in front of the house.
Did some serious power slides and even a lil drifting.

Defintely worth $40 for street tires and rims. It opens up another facet of fun with the 835B.

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21114.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1895826  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Zonked

Nice find ! Just looked and they are now 15.99 a pair . You got any pics with them mounted up ? Thank you for the heads up !!

The weather here has been wet, humid and hot, which makes for some crappy days lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
MastuhWaffles

So I took it to the track today and it ran very well, nothing broke, and it was lots of fun. I'm going to get some new tires and wheels soon, because these tires arn't that great. But I did different setups and had fun sliding it around. I did have some starting problems, the battery int he glow starter was dead. And then I has set the low speed needle wrong, but I fixed that all up and it ran awesome. I did a bit more tuning to keep it running cool and boo yah! I also bought some gloves for starting it and man they help.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Zonked

ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

Mounted some Losi (LOSA17759) street tires on the 835B.
Amain had'em for $19 a pair premounted on yellow rims.

Its been muggy and rainy in ChltNC and after a couple tanks dialing engine in I ripped up some slighty wet asphalt in front of the house.
Did some serious power slides and even a lil drifting.

Defintely worth $40 for street tires and rims. It opens up another facet of fun with the 835B.

YMMV
looks pretty slick with the onroad tires . Look forward to a few of the hop-ups namely springs and the aluminum chassis mounts.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Zonked

ORIGINAL: MastuhWaffles

So I took it to the track today and it ran very well, nothing broke, and it was lots of fun. I'm going to get some new tires and wheels soon, because these tires arn't that great. But I did different setups and had fun sliding it around. I did have some starting problems, the battery int he glow starter was dead. And then I has set the low speed needle wrong, but I fixed that all up and it ran awesome. I did a bit more tuning to keep it running cool and boo yah! I also bought some gloves for starting it and man they help.
Agree the stock tires are not much good for anything but burning off on the road. When i get done running and it's under 265f it is all good.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM
MastuhWaffles

Okay now, I took this screw off the plate in the front to take the gas tank off, put it back on with threadlock and didnt tighten it to hard. Now I can't take it off, none of my keys fit. ***?! I used a 2.5mm now it wants to be a little bigger. Something like 2.7mm.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Zonked

not sure what plate you are talking about ? is the screw head
stripped ?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
MastuhWaffles

It doesn't look like it's stripped, I can turn the allen key around in it without it catching anything. I guess it is? I never did anything to it to strip it though. I don't know how I'm going to get it out. A 2.5mm barley doesn't fit and a 3mm does not. I don't know where I can find one in between. I took it out before, put some threadlock on it and put it back in, I didn't tighten it hard at all. Heres a pic from the track today tho.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
flatpickhippster

Look forward to a few of the hop-ups namely springs and the aluminum chassis mounts.
There is a guy on ebay outta South Carolina who's mfg carbon fiber 835B shock towers (F/R) replacing the aluminum.
He also has CF front brace. I assume they are lighter and just as strong/stronger? Stiffer springs are next up for me.

I've adjusted my break bias for a light pull on the rear shaft and softer front end in hope that this will aid in loosening up the rear end and allowing me to break the rear end lose a lil with these new street tires.

Have phun!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 PM
MastuhWaffles

The plate Im talking about is where the screw holding the gas tank closest to the front the plate on top of it and the right screw is the one thats stripped.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
flatpickhippster

My std Integy hex drivers work fine in all the screw heads. Replace screw and chk that your drivers are not worn or not up to tolerence.

There are several kits out there for backing out a stripped screw head. HomeDepot, Lowes, Tru-Value all have them.....you need a drill w/ reverse drive...attatch bit and back out screw.....

Good Luck
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Zonked

The plate Im talking about is where the screw holding the gas tank closest to the front the plate on top of it and the right screw is the one thats stripped.
You can try grabbing the screw with needle nose pliers adn try pulling it out but if it is holding the fuel tank properly I would just roll with it and call Duratrax Monday.

Sorry I did not understand what you was saying yesterday. Blood sugar crashed and I barely knew where I was lol.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM
MastuhWaffles

Oh, well there is the screw holding the fuel tank towards the front. And above that screw is a plastic plate with 4 screws on it. One of those is stripped.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Zonked

Oh, well there is the screw holding the fuel tank towards the front. And above that screw is a plastic plate with 4 screws on it. One of those is stripped.
Got ya.

Cleaned the diff grease out and replaced with diff fluid, helps immensely with the way the buggy turns. Still has a sligh push but is far more aggresive now

7 Front
5 Center
2 Rear

Wonder if changing the rear toe plate out for the optional 2 degree would help increase turn in on power DTXC9335 ? Also using the forward most ackerman settjng.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM
MastuhWaffles

Okay so I ran it today, and I had trouble getting my settings right at the start, but eventually got it running like a champ. I noticed it smoked but I found out thats just the nitro that spilled and that stuff.
Damage report.
Pull start deciede to be a saw and cut through the body so I cut a hole to give plenty of room for starting.
Battery box pin decided to say bye bye.
Tires are pretty much gone for.
I might get a starter box sometime hopefully I can get one that fits, my last buggy I had to shave down the opening to the flywheel to get the wheel to reach.
Also anyone have a good idea on what a good engine would be to swap?
I have so much stuff I need to get, like a temp gauge, I have some plans on upgrading this puppy.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Zonked

Okay so I ran it today, and I had trouble getting my settings right at the start, but eventually got it running like a champ. I noticed it smoked but I found out thats just the nitro that spilled and that stuff.
Damage report.
Pull start deciede to be a saw and cut through the body so I cut a hole to give plenty of room for starting.
Battery box pin decided to say bye bye.
Tires are pretty much gone for.
I might get a starter box sometime hopefully I can get one that fits, my last buggy I had to shave down the opening to the flywheel to get the wheel to reach.
Also anyone have a good idea on what a good engine would be to swap?
sounds like a good day.
engine wise I have been looking at the reedy 121VR .21 and a GO .21 5port. They are both about the same price 200.00 but the GO engine has more power. A good .21 will make quick work of the ST.27 while using less fuel.

Ofna, Duratrax make affordable boxes and either will work on the 835B, just have to adjust accordingly. Purchased a temp gun from harbor freight and no issues so far.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
MastuhWaffles

I'm not sure if I should leave the pull start on if I get a starter box, but then again I'm not sure how to take it off lol, and if I need a plate or something to cover it up or such.
Those look like some cool engines, might get some lighter clutch shoes, or just reuse the clutch assembly off the 835b.
If anything though a roto start looks like it might be a better deal.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Zonked

Take the pull start off. I believe ST makes a rear cover but it is not necessary if you keep the area clean, no exposed bearings.If you decide to go with the roto-start shoot me a pm. Have a few of the backplates and extra wand w/ battery.

I find bump boxes easier to use, just more cumbersome to pack around and they go through Nimh packs pretty quick. They make a larger much longer lasting battery but it is additional 25-30.00.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM
MastuhWaffles

Sounds good, for now I'm just going to run with what I have for now, I may just end up getting a new engine. First things first, tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.