Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Optimus

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Navin1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimus

Anybody know anything about these buggys?

http://www.ujtoys.com/DHK-Hobby-8383...p/dhk-8383.htm

they seem good on price and have lipo battery included to get me started.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Optimus

Steer well clear of that, 1/8th buggies run on 4S, not 3S, so the lipo battery you are looking forward to is not even the correct type for the car. If you later wanted to make that car run on 4S, you would have to replace all the electrics (probably including the motor). Really that represents particularly poor value for money when for only 40 bucks more you can get a really good car from a reputable brand with appropriate equipment out of the box. You will not get a lipo or charger thogh.

The OFNA LX2E...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML

I can give you an international savers discount code for 10% off at Tower Hobbies if you like (I don't work for them, they send discount emails to members every month), but delivery is going to be about 50 more bucks, so it's still gonna work out around the 365 mark. Still a lot more worth it than the car you linked.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Navin1980

Thanks for the info. The car you linked look nice alright. I have since found the XL version of the buggy I linked which runs 4s. Here's the link.
http://www.ujtoys.com/DHK-Hobby-8381-Optimus-XL-RC-Car-p/dhk-8381.htm
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Foxy

The OFNA car still represents much better value for money. If the optimus xl were 250 bucks we'd be talking acceptable value for money.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Foxy is correct all across the board and I surely second his opinion. Take my word for it, that man knows his 1/8 scales, and he won't steer ya wrong

Personally after doing some looking and checking reviews here and there I would advise you to stay away from those buggies at all cost. If you want a quick, tough, reliable 1/8 buggy for a low price, then either get the OFNA or shop used for a better brand (Mugen, XRay, Losi, Associated).

I've seen enough of this brand to say that their vehicles looks alone are horrifying, and from what I've read and watched, everything about them pretty much matches those looks. I try not to be one to trash brands, but sheesh, I'd rather show up to race truggies with a Revo before I'd buy something made by them!

ORIGINAL: Navin1980

Thanks for the info. The car you linked look nice alright. I have since found the XL version of the buggy I linked which runs 4s. Here's the link.
http://www.ujtoys.com/DHK-Hobby-8381-Optimus-XL-RC-Car-p/dhk-8381.htm
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Navin1980

Thanks for your help guys, I think I'll take your advice and go for the OFNA.. And foxy I would gladly take that 10% discount code you have, thanks a million. Would you be able to point me in the right direction of lipo batterys and charger?
Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Gearhead8
My Feedback: (2)

I don't see anything wrong with the Optimus. I own one. I would steer way clear of the OFNA. Who wants a copy of a Kyosho or Mugen. Just purchase the Kyosho or the Mugen. But if price and originality is what you are after, then the DHK is a perfect match. Plus you will not need to buy a battery and charger. The Optimus comes with both.

If you are looking to race then don't purchased the Optimus and sure as heck not the OFNA. The Kyosho or Mugen is far Superior to any OFNA for racing. If you plan to just have fun out in a field somewhere the Optimus is perfect.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: Gearhead8

I don't see anything wrong with the Optimus. I own one. I would steer way clear of the OFNA. Who wants a copy of a Kyosho or Mugen. Just purchase the Kyosho or the Mugen. But if price and originality is what you are after, then the DHK is a perfect match. Plus you will not need to buy a battery and charger. The Optimus comes with both.

If you are looking to race then don't purchased the Optimus and sure as heck not the OFNA. The Kyosho or Mugen is far Superior to any OFNA for racing. If you plan to just have fun out in a field somewhere the Optimus is perfect.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Navin1980

I went with the OFNA in the end with two 5000  2c lipo batterys and I and very happy with it. I have it a week and have had it out two or three times. I'm delighted with the buggy, it handles really good and it's quite fast too. It is also a good strong buggy.
Thanks Foxy for your input and help with the buggy and lipos.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Foxy

Hm...I hope that you don't honestly believe that stuff.

OFNA has a legendary reputation as some of the best pure bashers around. They are not race machines usually because of weight, cheaper and thicker materials are used to maintain the strength of racing buggies while keeping the costs down. OFNA is better supported not only than DHK, but also Kyosho and Mugen. The LX kit is less than half the price of the Mugen kit. The LX2e is not a clone. The battery and charger supplied with the Optimus are probably tragic, but I might be wrong. THe OFNA is perfectly track worthy with a few hopups, the DHK would need a lot more. If he just plans to run around a field, the OFNA still represents much better value.

Navin, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you with the discount code, it totally slipped my mind, I hope you found one prior to ordering. Glad you are loving the car. Did you fill the diffs with oil yet? It will handle even better when you do. Put 10k in the front diff, 50k in the center diff and 5k in the rear, it will handle even better (a LOT better!). You can also increase the top end speed without creating excessive motor heat or affecting acceleration by adding a couple of teeth to the pinion. It's a 12t in the box, right? Try a 14t and see how you like it.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Gearhead8
My Feedback: (2)

I won't argue about my claims of OFNA.

DHK is new as far as I can tell, so I would expect that Mugen, Kyosho, Ofna, Team AE and Losi are better supported than DHK. That I assume would be normal for any new company. Here in the states OFNA is the red headed step child and often times laughed at.

As far as value, the OFNA does not come with a battery or charger. So there is another 100 to 200 dollars you need to spend on extra equipment that the DHK includes in the box. And again I own the DHK. The charger that is included, is a basic charger that is a balance charger. It eliminates any kind of mistake a person could make with a programmable charger, especially one whom may be new to electric power r/c.

Dare I get into the servos that typically come with OFNA RTRs that need to be replaced immediately?

As far as the track, both cars would need to have a few parts changed to last a race. That is about norm for anyone trying to race a RTR in Novice class or sportsman class.

That is the idea of the forums, isn't it? To share and ready opinions and facts about our fun hobby.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Ofna LX2e! Don't look at anything else. In what seems to be your spending value, the LX2e will be the best bang for your buck. Gear it up 2-4 teeth, get two gens ace 50c 2s lipos, some 50k, 10k, 5k silicon diff fluid, and you have a mean buggy. I had Foxy help me on getting a new RC and he pointed the Pfna to me. I have no regrets of buying this buggy and love the hell out of it.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Navin1980

The OFNA came with a 14 tooth pinion gear with it. Is there alot of stripping down to do to change the diff oil? I had read that the oil should be changed so was planing to do it, hopefully I won't have a few parts left over when I think I have it back together again!! The Optimus would of cost me €399 plus €50 shipping, the OFNA and batterys and charger cost me €450 including shipping so would of been the same. Although I was hit with a €70 tax charge when it was delivered to me but I would of had to pay that with the Optimus anyway. Plus the batterys I got are 5000mah 2s 50c which would be better than the ones that come with the Optimus and the charger is pretty good too. All in all I'm very happy with what I got. I'm not knocking the Optimus cos iv never used one but I am happy with the OFNA. The steering servo is quick and responsive too, so far anyway, it's a lot better than anything iv had before
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
cumminspower5.9

You have to remove the sway bars, and then the rear of the rear diff case, and the front of the front diff case. You might as well change the pinion when you take the center diff out as well. If you can remember or label where the screws go, it will be very easy.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Eman77

As far as value, the OFNA does not come with a battery or charger. So there is another 100 to 200 dollars you need to spend on extra equipment that the DHK includes in the box. And again I own the DHK. The charger that is included, is a basic charger that is a balance charger. It eliminates any kind of mistake a person could make with a programmable charger, especially one whom may be new to electric power r/c.

True, but the electronics that come with the DHK are not acceptable. A 3s LiPo and 60A ESC on a 1/8? I'd say that's tragic indeed, and would have to be swapped out anyway, so it's a moot point when comparing to an Ofna w/out electronics.

I'm in the States, and Ofna has a solid reputation in my book, and from what I've read from forum posters from all over. Not sure where you get your info.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Eman77

True, but the electronics that come with the DHK are not acceptable. A 3s LiPo and 60A ESC on a 1/8? I'd say that's tragic indeed, and would have to be swapped out anyway, so it's a moot point when comparing to an Ofna w/out electronics.

I'm in the States, and Ofna has a solid reputation in my book, and from what I've read from forum posters from all over. Not sure where you get your info.
In addition, the lipo is only a 20c discharge. That will puff up in no time. There are 1/10 brushless systems that will kill that battery. So either way, some lipos, new esc, and motor are going to be needed to get 4s.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Foxy

I won't argue about my claims of OFNA.

DHK is new as far as I can tell, so I would expect that Mugen, Kyosho, Ofna, Team AE and Losi are better supported than DHK. That I assume would be normal for any new company. Here in the states OFNA is the red headed step child and often times laughed at.

Dare I get into the servos that typically come with OFNA RTRs that need to be replaced immediately?

As far as the track, both cars would need to have a few parts changed to last a race. That is about norm for anyone trying to race a RTR in Novice class or sportsman class.

That is the idea of the forums, isn't it? To share and ready opinions and facts about our fun hobby.
OFNA is only in the US, so US opinions are the only ones, and you are the first I've heard to make such comments.

Yes, the forums are for sharing and reading opinions and facts and it is the duty of we who know, to make sure the correct information is available to other forum Users. I promise you this is my only goal, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just making sure the best info is here.

1/8th buggies or truggies I own or have owned in the past...

Hobao (OFNA) Hyper 7
Xray XB8
Mugen MBX5
Mugen MBX5T
Xray XT8
Losi 8ight
Team Associated SC8
Team Associated RC8B
Thunder Tiger EB4 S3
Kyosho Inferno GT
Xray 808e

Others I have extensive experience with due to friends running them...

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3
HPI Trophy truggy
Durango whatever the model is I can't remember, nice car actually.

and I also had an OFNA Jammin SCRT10 until recently, which is a fantastic car.

I mostly bash, I raced many years ago, nitro touring cars mostly but a little buggy too.

And here's what I know...

The DHK is supplied with under spec electronics, much worse than those supplied with the OFNA cars.
The DHK battery and charger are bottom of the barrel (I checked), 20C is not enough battery and neither is 3S. A good battery and charger can be had for $80 plus delivery, much better than the DHK supplied kit.
When you factor all that in, the DHK is poor value.
OFNA are the distributor for several other brands, 2 of those brands are Hong Nor and Hobao (Hobao has now been passed to HPI), and another is now TeamC/Absima, I assume the replacement for Hobao. Absima is the Euro brand that used to be called Ansmann, another budget OEM with a good reputation. Anyway, Hobao and Hong Nor are the main brands on which OFNA built its reputation, and both brands have MANY National Championship wins and worldwide reputations for durabilty and value. The TeamC stuff we will have to wait and see.
Nobody who knows what they are talking about laughs at OFNA. Not even I, who run Xray kit with Castle electronics mostly, the absolute top-of-the-line, and I still respect OFNA greatly.
All RTRs need their steering servos replaced sooner rather than later.
The OFNA is club legal out of the box, the DHK is not, due to the fact it doesn't have a 4S battery. Installing a 4S battery would require replacement of all the electronics and the battery.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Navin1980

The OFNA came with a 14 tooth pinion gear with it. Is there alot of stripping down to do to change the diff oil? I had read that the oil should be changed so was planing to do it, hopefully I won't have a few parts left over when I think I have it back together again!! The Optimus would of cost me €399 plus €50 shipping, the OFNA and batterys and charger cost me €450 including shipping so would of been the same. Although I was hit with a €70 tax charge when it was delivered to me but I would of had to pay that with the Optimus anyway. Plus the batterys I got are 5000mah 2s 50c which would be better than the ones that come with the Optimus and the charger is pretty good too. All in all I'm very happy with what I got. I'm not knocking the Optimus cos iv never used one but I am happy with the OFNA. The steering servo is quick and responsive too, so far anyway, it's a lot better than anything iv had before
Ask cumminspower what he runs in his as far as pinion, but the LX has a big spur, so I'm sure you can add a tooth or two more to the pinion without having a problem with heat or cogging.

The stripping down isn't too bad, but the whole process of changing diff oils is not something you want to do often. Makes sure you get yourself some extra diff gaskets when you order the oil, it is very difficult to remove the old ones without damaging them, often impossible, and the diff will leak if you use a damaged one, which makes a hell of a mess.

Shoot me a PM when you get around to doing it and I'll jot down some pointers for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 AM
cumminspower5.9

The diffs are wierd on this buggy. Only the center diff has a rubber "o-ring" type gasket. The front and rear didn't have one that I saw, but I have no leaking fluid either. But let me tell you, switching the fluids made a whole difference.