Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Looking to get into racing nitros

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
xNitroAddictx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into racing nitros

Hello, I have a Rustler Vxl with a Mmm setup (tops out at 100) and i own a jato 3.3 and revo 3.3. I love my speed!
Alright, so to the point! So my budget for everything is 1500$, and i was wondering what would be the best 1/8 scale nitro buggy kit for me.
My track is dirt, and i was gonna get the FlySky FS iT4 for my transmittter, but ive heard it's not very good for nitro cars.
Oh, and other things i wanna know are, what would be the best tires, engine and servos? and just other parts i would have to throw on the buggy kit to make it rtr.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
rccheech

Default RE: Looking to get into racing nitros

Reasonable budget, all I can say is start shopping and base it off of local.parts support and what you like.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking to race nitro?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
xNitroAddictx

oh yes, i forgot to mention that. yes nitro, its so much funner then electric
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: xNitroAddictx

..yes nitro, its so much funner then electric

Awesome!
I'm sure any of the big racing manufacturers (Mugen, XRay, AE, Losi, Kyosho, Hot Bodies) will work fine for you. Remember that you'll need other pieces to augment (engine, starter box, transmitter/receiver, servos, etc). $1,200 sounds about right....but it can add up quickly.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So nice to see someone with a realistic budget for their intended goal.

If you're happy to source your parts online, I would recommend Xray as the highest quality stuff and the most fun to build and work on (fit and finish like no other), otherwise indeed it is sensible to look at what's available locally. There is one area where you could save a ton of that money, the transmitter and receiver combo. I've heard nothing negative yet about the fairly new FS-IT4 transmitter, and Flysky's other radios have been perfectly acceptable. Basically, it's a 150 buck radio with the the features of the top 400 buck radios, it even has a touch screen. I would have ordered one myself, but I wasn't quick enough, waiting for the next batch. A reputable and experienced member here bought one and was impressed. If you're set on a top brand radio, [link=http://http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_119/products_id/192959/n/Futaba-4PL-24GHz-S-FHSS-Radio-System-w-R2104GF-Receiver]this[/link] is all the starting racer needs, but more receivers for this unit aren't cheap. Futaba quality is the best by far, imo.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
xNitroAddictx

What would be the best engine? and please no one say throw nitro or a supercharger on it... complete waste of money and i'm not trying to ruin my 400$ racing engine... and i was looking a kyosho buggy, it looked pretty sick. and would a kit version be better then rtr? so like i could choose the engine and stuff?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
xNitroAddictx

Also what would be the best kit for me? Here's a few i was looking at.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
rccheech

The kyosho kit without the any of the electronics and engine is almost 1000.00, way too much for a name if you ask me. As far as engines go Novarossi has the best overall design. For a radio, look into airtronics, they have good stuff too.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
xNitroAddictx

also my budget is now 1500$ (i am trying to get the best racing buggy possible)
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
nitroexpress

Concerning the Flysky FS-IT4 transmitter.Some users have reported the following irritations.When binding a new Rx to the Tx, the previous Rx will lose its bind and it will no longer work Need to re-bind with each car that was previously bound to.The Rx isn't HV capable.The RPM telemetry doesn't reach RPM's high enough for practical motors/engines (16k max).The temperature sensor doesn't reach high enough for nitro engines (100C max).Futaba 3PM-X, KO Propo EX-5, Airtronics MX-3X, and the Futaba 4-PL transmitters might be a safer choice.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM
xNitroAddictx

aww i really liked the touch screen on it.... And it has a freaking button you can press to start heating up your nitro engine! That"s another reason i wanted it.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
nitroexpress

The Futaba (and maybe others) has a •Preset (Throttle Hold) function for startup.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM
xNitroAddictx

oh, but the main question is whats the best kit? and engine of course.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
ssautter

The Kyosho Inferno platform is an 8-time IFMAR OffRoad World Champion:
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/INFERNO...3_p_10854.html

The drawback to the Kyosho 1/8-scale buggies is the parts support.
Many smaller hobby shops stopped carrying Kyosho products, after Kyosho America was opened.
If youlive in a rural area, I can't recommend a Kyosho, unless your local hobby shop is an Authorized Kyosho Dealer.

Kyosho International was hit by the tsunami; but, this doesn't seem to affect the availability of the Inferno kits.
Good luck finding a SeaWind or a FairWind, if you know what those are....

AmainHobbies is a great online vendor; but, does not stock every part for every model carried.

Because of the limited availability of Kyosho kits, I suggest considering an Associated or Losi 1/8th kit or RTR:

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC8.2/
http://www.losi.com/Products/Start.aspx

Or an HPI or Hot Bodies:

http://www.hpiracing.com/hpikits/n-off/
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/cars.php?lang=en

So, go for a Kyosho if the parts are available in your local area; but, you may want to consider a different manufacturer, if you need faster parts support.

Good luck....
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
JohnP2

Out of those three you listed....I'd say the XRay. You're here in TX, right? The guys that dominate our track drive them (but at least one is a factory driver). I'm sure they would win with any quality setup. I've also heard from numerous people that they are great to wrench on.Don't dismiss Mugen, either. Lots of folks having success with them.

Regarding, Kyosho...I think it's for the really good drivers. I see guys coming in last and see them break down just as much as any other vehicle. At the same time, theones that can drive them? WOW!They are worth the money to a select few. Also, the best looking truggy I've seen is a Kyosho.

We have two Losi buggies and both are beyond perfect! The one manufacturer I'd recommend over any other. However, I'd want to see the 3.0 run some before investing in the price they are going for. They figured out they should charge more than they do, and that sucks.

Regarding engines, most folks will recommnend what they have.;-) Novasand Werks are popular at our track..As fortx/rx, I like Spektrum. To date have had no problems with them andthey are a bigbang for the buck, IMO. For steering servo, I recommend HiTec 7955....it's violent!

Finally - think past upfront costs. Whatever you get. you'll probably want to continue to upgrade to suit your style. Thus a $599 buggy with$300 of your personalized upgrades is better than an $899 stock buggy.....that'show I feel at least.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
xNitroAddictx

Part's really arent a problem for me. In my city there's 3 hobby shops and 2 of them are big warehouses that are like 3000+ square feet.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM
supertib

Mugen MBX7 !
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
xNitroAddictx

@john Yes i am here in Texas, and i was turning towards the spektrum also. I am probably gonna start ordering parts friday! oh and also what would be the best pipe? (obviously i dont know much about 1/8 scale parts because this will be my first 1/8th scale)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: xNitroAddictx

@john Yes i am here in Texas, and i was turning towards the spektrum also. I am probably gonna start ordering parts friday! oh and also what would be the best pipe? (obviously i dont know much about 1/8 scale parts because this will be my first 1/8th scale)
If you want the best and you have the cash to spend, then it comes down to 2 in my opinion (and I'm talking build and materials quality, all the top cars will allow you to win a race), Xray XB9 and Mugen MBX7.

The MBX7 is the current world champ if that means anything to you, and the Xray is widely known to be the highest quality RC out there. The only problem with Mugen is that they tend to have a rep of being for the rich RCers, because they release regular updates to their cars, usually with significant changes from the previous, and quite quickly discontinue parts for older models, necessitating regular updates.

I really don't recommend spektrum. I am a spektrum user, and I regretted making the switch. They have shorter range than many other FHSS radios, receivers are unreliable in my experience, and they just represent poor value for money in my opinion, compared to the Futaba stuff. Not to mention the receivers are the same price as the better brands, so there's not really anything to gain.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 AM
xNitroAddictx

what would you recommend for rx/tx setup then? what model of futuba?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 AM
xNitroAddictx

I am stuck on the Xray xb9, thats the one im gonna get i think. I just fell in love with it after look at all the pictures and specs and everything. It's a beast!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Foxy

For the radio, the Futaba 4pl, the one I linked earlier.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM
xNitroAddictx

I did a little research on the 4pl, and alot of people are saying its very easy to crack the stopper behind the steering wheel.
have you had any experience with theKo propo Eurus EX10? That looks like a pretty nice radio.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
xNitroAddictx

And im also thinking about getting my engine from novarossi. Anyone got any experience with these engines? and if so which one is the best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.