RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Brushless combo suggestions

Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Navin1980

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Brushless combo suggestions

What would be the best brushless combo to get for a lx2e? I'm looking for lots of acceleration with a high top speed but also a combo that won't brake the bank!!! Also would I have to change anything else on the buggy to be able to handle the extra speed, such as diffs or anything like that? I am running my current stock set up with two 2s lipos, I suppose I would have to change to two 3s?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Brushless combo suggestions

The 'best' and 'will not break the bank' I'm afraid do not belong in a sentence together. If you ask me, one of the best value 1/8th combos is the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1355/products_id/248585/n/Castle-Creations-Mamba-Monster-2-1-8th-Scale-Brushless-Car-Package-2200kV]Monster Max 2200kv combo[/link] (sensorless). Alternatively, the Tekin RX8 combos (go for the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1355/products_id/36904/n/Tekin-RX8-Redline-T8-1-8th-Scale-Truggy-Brushless-ESC-Motor-Combo-2250kV]2250kv truggy[/link] version for the extra torque) are also very good (sensored). These will run you $250+, but you will only buy them once and they will be good for all the 1/8th cars you ever buy.

None of these motors 'needs' to be run on 6S, you can continue to run 4S if you like and they will still be a lot more powerful and faster than your stock motor. On 6S, these combos are total madness (I run exclusively 6S in my truggy, see pic below, 4S packs in the shot are just for show, and also notice my motor is the HPI version, it's the same as the green one you'll see more commonly just with a different outer casing. It's a real handful, your buggy is even lighter), the buggy will eventually suffer from the massive stress that 5+ horsepower will do to it, but in the meantime it will be savagely fast, able to backflip and wheelie on command, as well as pull triple backflips off ramps. There is nothing in particular you need to upgrade to be able to handle this (apart from your driving ability), the drivetrain is as strong as it can be and when you wear it out you will replace it with the same parts. Like I said if you decide that 6S really is just too mad, you can go back to 4S. Consider appropriate gearing if you go 6S, you will not want to not go over 16t on the pinion. If you run these combos on 4S you will be able to put as much as an 18 to 20t pinion before having any major heat issues, which would be almost as fast on the top end as a 6S with a 16T, but wouldn't get there quite so aggressively.

I know they're expensive, but buy wisely, buy once and buy quality, especially when it comes to electronics. You won't get the same satisfaction from a Hobbywing combo for $150 I'm afraid, or the same longevity, or the same good product support. Also bear in mind that if you ever decide to sell one of those two combos, you can sell them second hand for almost what you paid, they REALLY hold their value.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12954.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1887466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84459.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1887467  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 AM
dirt101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too feel your pain. I just boaght a used lx2e, it had the stock motor and an hpi rage which is a 4s esc. stock motor burnt up on 3s with stock 14/51 gearing after driving it in grass for maybe 7mins. It was junk to say the least. I have a lot of experience with brushless setups and conversions, but I wanted to utilize the rage esc until it burns up so I just boaght a cheap $33 turnigy 3674 size 1650kv motor to run on until I can do a real upgrade. Now i run 4s on the turnigy,with the stock gearing. It is definitely more powerful than stock and runs cooler. Like the previous post I recommend buying the good stuff the first time around as heat will always be an issue with cheapersetups. have run castle in the past. motors are very powerful and run cool even in monster trucks. going to a larger can motor is going to force you to gear up probably 2 teeth atleast due to the rear chassis brace. I would go with the castle 2200 setup gear up to a 16 or 17t pinion and pray you have quality lipos. it will draw over 100amp but will be significantly more powerful than stock. I do not forsee even wanting more power than that. Had a 6s setup on a crt in the past and it was ballistic. seriously too much power unless you just blast around huge fields. Castle is what I plan on putting in mine when my cheap stuff burns up which it will eventually. Im by no means a castle fan boy but I as well as friends have run their setups with good luck. I had one MMM esc burn up which castle replaced, have run their old mamba max on 5s repeatedly. The motors are second to none IMO. Dont have to spend $250 to buy a genuine NEU to get extremely efficient motors anymore.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Navin1980

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really don't have the money at the moment to be paying out $250+ on a new motor and esc combo at the moment, seeing as I've only just paid over $650 on my buggy and battery's and charger a few weeks ago!! Would this combo be any good?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=261198932764&index=2&nav=WATCHING& nid=33124794509

Or are there any other combos out there that would be good for my buck!!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM
Navin1980

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Saying that, what kind of money would my current 1800kv motor and esc make if I was to sell it??
Any takers!!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing wrong with the stock LX2e electrics, stories of failures are rare. They aren't to be kept forever anyway of course, largely due to the fact they can't be programmed, but as an RTR set, they are one of the best. If yours are in good working condition, you can get $100 for the set easily.

That Toro set includes a 6 pole motor, which is going to be phenomenally torquey and draw high current. Here is how it runs in a Hyper 7, a comparable buggy to yours, on 4S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmjCJZHMbM[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM
dirt101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

got some more runtime on my setup yesterday. about 3hrs actually on the track with some new pinions. this is with the turnigy 3674 1650($33+sh) and the hpi rage esc which goes for about $75. Much more impressed with it now that I have went up to a 15t pinion. It seems to be running about 5-10 degrees cooler and has notable more power. Temps are at 140-145 motor 105-110 on both the batteries and esc. For a little over $100 it is a great setup. I will be trying a 16t pinion soon to see if it likes that evenmore and I got a 1522 traxxas villian clip on heatsink to see if I can get even more gearing. 1 tooth was a large difference
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Navin1980

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've ordered a 16t and a 18t pinion which I should be getting next week. I'll try the 16t first on my stock 1800 and 90a esc and see how I get on. I have no temp gun so won't really know how hot it is!! I think I'll try this before going for a new motor and esc. There is a large factory car park near me which is closed down so that's were I go to bash around, I have plenty of room to get it up to speed. Ill probably end up getting a bigger motor and esc at some stage.