Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Using Loc-tite on a new RC extends life and fun.

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Using Loc-tite on a new RC extends life and fun.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Tmtporthole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Loc-tite on a new RC extends life and fun.

Ever buy a "RTR" rc and soon found yourself tightening screws and re-adjusting brakes and throttles. A few hobby shops I've been to say to use Loc-tite on your new RC. I've noticed no conversation about this. The good thing is that doing so you'll loose less screws plus keep your setting perfectly in place. BUT! Using too much on a screw may leave you breaking what its threaded into. I myself had great success using this on tons of projects. I figured I'd drop a line on this topic and see if anyone else has a better idea. Or even never thought of it B4.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2057071  
Old 12-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Tmtporthole

We'll I guess it does not have to be new......... Put some loc-tite on that POS too.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:42 PM
nitroexpress

Keep in mind that Loctite is not meant to be used on metal to plastic applications. Screws going into plastic need another product type. Several brands are marketed, such as --

http://www.slidewright.com/vibra-***...readlocker.php
Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Tmtporthole

We'll I hope that truggy of mine never needs to be fixed. I did the plastic metal loctite deal I'll buy some red locker then. Thanks nitro
Old 12-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Barracuz

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Keep in mind that Loctite is not meant to be used on metal to plastic applications. Screws going into plastic need another product type. Several brands are marketed, such as --

http://www.slidewright.com/vibra-***...readlocker.php

Ive had problems with some general loctite products especially the red and blue kind.

The red would sort of weaken the threaded plastic and in some cases it would even dissolve it.

The blue loctite seemed to work wonders. Worked to well. In crashes especially bulkheads and a arms instead of the plastic flexing and relieving around screws it would simply crack around the area.

If a screw does seem to be loose I fetch a longer or larger diameter screw or one with a different thread pitch.

Last edited by Barracuz; 12-27-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Barracuz

Delete
Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Tmtporthole

I damn near did every fixed screw on my nexx8 with that blue stuff.... Seems like I got future problems, hardening the plastic? Bummer. I was just breaking it in I could have watched the whole thing just shake apart. I wondered why I could not tune it, noticed the engine was nowhere where it was b4. I guess "ready to run" is not the same as "ready to race" or "ready to rip". And nobody wants to be disappointed during a break-in. Do they torque the screws or something?? Who in there right mind would put RTR on a box when it's like that if your trying to please a customer.