Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Just bought a Kyosho. Quick question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Just bought a Kyosho. Quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Legacy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Kyosho. Quick question.

Hey all. I've been out of this for about 8 or 9 years. I just bought a Kyosho MP9e Buggy, the rtr version.

I'm needing a few lipo batteries and a charger. I think it says I need 2s batteries and I'd like to get 5000 mah ones.

What batteries do you recommend for this buggy and which charger? I'd like one that can charge both batteries at the same time.

Thanks all.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Scott711

SMC batteries have proven to be some of the best bang for the buck. Many people around here swear by them.

Hope this help a bit.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To charge a pair of lipos at the same time you have 2 options. First is a dual channel charger. A dual channel charger has 2 separate outputs that can charge a pair of packs simultaneously. The packs can be the same and charged as a single pack or they can be different and charged independently.

The 2nd option is a series harness. Lipo series harnesses have series connections for the main leads and the balance leads. Plug a pair of 2s lipos in and the charger now sees one 4s pack. Sorry I can't recommend a series harness, I make my own.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Legacy

Thanks for the replies. Can you help me with what type of batteries to get? I think this buggy requires 2 2s lipo batteries but I don't know what the 2s means.

I know mah and will get 5000 or more.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Scott711

Most people are doing LiPo batteries today. They have the best power to weight ratio and offer great run times depending on the mah you get. Think of the mah as a gas tank, the more mah the longer run time you will probably get. That comes at a price though, the larger mah batteries are more expensive and heavier. Generally for what you're running a 2 - 4s battery in 4500mah and up will work great depending on your motor and ESC. You can read up on batteries here. http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ormation_id=10

Have a good one!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Legacy
Thanks for the replies. Can you help me with what type of batteries to get? I think this buggy requires 2 2s lipo batteries but I don't know what the 2s means.

LiPo battery packs are made up of cells just like other battery packs. The difference is one LiPo cell equals 3.7v compared to a NiMh cell which is 1.2v. The "S" , in reference to a 2S LiPo pack, means that pack is made up of 2 cells wired in a series, and you add the voltages of the 2 cells together to get 8.4v for a 2S pack. A 3S LiPo pack is composed of 3 cells wired in a series and you get a 11.1v pack.

I would read up on the usage of LiPo batteries. They are a little bit more involved than yesteryear's NiCd and NiMh chemistry. You should check out ...Everything you need to know about LiPo batteries; Understanding Lipo Batteries , Understanding RC LiPo Batteries etc. etc. There are many different views out there about LiPo, but treat them great, and they will treat you fine. IMO ... no going back to NiMh batteries.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:04 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Legacy

Depending on if you are racing or not...this will sometimes determine what capacity and "C" rating you may want to purchase. Now as far as requirements for your eBuggy, I'm sure there is something in the manual that shows use of (2) 2S connected together (in series) for a total of 14.8v, or use a singe 4S LiPo pack to strap into the battery tray. I have pretty much given up racing at the moment and for me and my backyard track I run 3S packs in my 1/8 scale buggy. I'm not saying you should look into 3S packs, it's just that I'm a backyard track basher and I'm over the crazy speed thing. That being said, my Castle 2650kv is a bit overboard with speed, even on 3S packs. I even strap on () a 2S pack every once in a while for people who show up at the house and want to try their hand at the RC addition.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:18 AM
RustyUs

One last thing before I head out, my only suggestion for a LiPo pack...nothing under a 40C rating for use in a heavier 1/8 scale anything. The "C" rating is sometimes a blurry value, used by manufactures, to make their packs look "more attractive". This is another debate that I won't get into. I'll just say I won't buy/use any more 20C or 25C rated pack for heavier platforms. The truggies I had were used with 25C 4000mah packs. They could not handle the demand of the motor, and the ESC tried to keep up while it sucked the life out of my batteries. Puffing; case splitting, and smelly fun that was.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Legacy

Thanks all. Looks like the kyosho takes 2 2s batteries. I ended up getting 4 of the spc batteries. They are 7200mah and 70c. Heard good things about the spc batteries, hope they are good.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi legacy , get a good dual charger for your kyosho like a hitec , ultra power ,etc yes i have 7000
65c batts for my buggy ok mugey