Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

1/8 scale track questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Cookiemagoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 scale track questions

Hello All
I'm a designer and I've been asked to incorporate a 1/8 scale off road rc track into a trade show. WOW! I don't know anything and google, well, I need more help. If anyone can answer any of these questions, it'll mean the world to me =)
1) I've allotted 30'x40' space. Is this enough? I put in a few turns, two of those 3 bumps areas (yay, idk know the proper term....) and a jump ramp.
2) My lanes are 6' foot wide. Is that good for lets say 3 cars/trucks?
3) How tall/short should my ramp be? Also, angle? I don't want it flying off into the crowd. Client probably won't like that..

And anything else that I might not even be thinking about, lol... I'm completely over my head on this and have to design it and then make sure the custom guys build it right.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:06 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to give you an idea without seeing at least some kind of drawn layout of the track. If you are worried about jumps the easiest thing to do is to not have any lead up to the jump I.e you come out of a sharp corner right into a jump. This keeps kids from having the chance to be wide open throttle on the car before hitting a jump so that distance is minimized. When making a good track driver position is important. You want to make sure that from that single vantage point that everyone can see the ENTIRE track. Blind spots will be spots that everyone wrecks (especially if your drivers will be inexperienced). A big one to consider is what cars will be on the track, are you providing trucks? are people bringing their own? Have you established a scale limit? (you should). If you are gunna provide the trucks then using it to guess and check jump distances can be pretty valuable as tracks with a good rhythm are a must. Ok now i'll try to answer your questions lol. 30x40 can be can be enough if the space is used properly. 6 ft wide is ok. ramps shouldn't really ever be above knee height. Angle is the hard one as it depends on the amount of straightaway you have before the jump. Lots of run up means less angle and vise versa. Also since this is inside i'm assuming you're going to use a hard surface for everything instead of dirt then you are going to want to incorporate a bit of curve instead of it being a constant slope to keep things smooth (think back to when you were a kid on your bike and you made a wood jump, super jarring if there is no curve to it). I understand your head scratching with this, its pretty hard to do the first time and i haven't hardly scratched the surface. Hope this helps a little!

Alex
Old 06-11-2017, 08:46 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

30x40 is way too small for 1/8 cars, maybe pro drivers can work with this space but will this be open to the public?

I would talk to the Allison's over here, I've been helping them build a 1/10 turf track and we've been building portable ramps which is what you'll need to do:
*** RCU won't let me link to FB... simply search for Thornhill Racing Circuit and talk to the track owners there.

The lanes on this 1/10 track will be roughly 9' wide, you can probably get away with 8' lanes but I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything smaller than that for 1/10 cars... I would also target a 40x80 track if you can possibly secure that much space... otherwise you might as well just setup a few PC's and do a VRC booth:
https://www.vrcworld.com/about/

Last edited by bill_delong; 06-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.