RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Best 1/8 scale car and wheels

Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best 1/8 scale car and wheels

I realize this will be a widely opinionated subject, what I'm looking for is parts availability, durability and a decent wheel design in an electric 1/8 scale. I have the Redcat Terremoto V2 1/8 scale electric (among other cars), OK design, but the wheels for this car SUCK!!! One crash and the wheels bend and can't be balanced again, which trash any decent handling and of course the wheel is garbage after one crash. Redcat has 1/8 scale with both 17mm AND 12mm hex wheels (very stupid IMHO, keep it uniformed Redcat). I purchased the BS904-014 wheels for my V2 only to find these are 12mm hex (V2 are 17mm hex), these wheels are a fair design as far as structural, the hex need to be farther in the center for structural integrity, but still far better than the BS810-011 structural design.

I run on an off-road dirt track and backyard bash. I want a 50 MPH 1/8 scale electric car that can handle many crashes with sand type tires, like BS904-014. My stock Redcat V2 radar at 25-27 MPH.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:17 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry. Just want to get things straight with the "car" terminology since this thread is in the 1/8 scale buggy section. You have a Terremoto monster truck, and want another monster truck, but want a better/more durable one. Right?

I did not see any questions asked in your post .

Rusty wants a lot of stuff too .

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-30-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, 'car' means 4x4 monster truck. I have a "VW bug" body on my Terremoto chassis so I call it a 'car', wouldn't this be classified as a buggie? The chassis is the heart and sole of any "car", so I'm not seeing the importance of what body I have on the Terremoto chassis.

The wheels are the largest issue, I want to drive, not balance wheels/tires everyday. The wheels I'm using don't stay balanced very long. You like a question? What part number/link of 17mm hex wheels with sand type tires, would stand up to heavy crashing (don't bend) and still stay balanced? What I need is aluminum/steel wheels, anyone make these?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Monster truck it is then. The only 1/8 scale 17mm hex wheels with paddle tires...Kyosho might be your best bet.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the very vague reply.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:31 AM
mugeyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi mavrik1 you can get truggy and buggy wheels and tires mounted and pretty much balanced 17mm from your local hobby shop . companies are AKA , PROLINE and a few more yes you can get 1/8 scale wheel and tires on road and offroad on ebay and also 1/8 scale alumiumn wheels on ebay (expensive ) some guys balance and set up their own for racing and or bashing , hope i helped ok mugey
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
MasteroFlego

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pro-Line sells 1/8 monster truck sand paddles, they also sell several other different 3.8 tires, though some of them are smaller than the stock terremoto tires.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 for a 1/8 Truggy... my personal favorite is the Tekno ET48, by far the toughest truck I've ever owned:
Tekno RC ET48 Truggy Competition 1/8 4WD Kit TKR5600 - Active Powersports

As far as decent truggy tires with a solid balance between price and performance, you can't go wrong with 6MIK or James tires:
https://dialedhobbies.com/component/...facturer_id,0/
+
https://dialedhobbies.com/component/...facturer_id,0/
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tell me about the 1/8 scale car racing circuits. Locations, events, links to these events, etc. Internet searches just bring me to car sales or basic definitions.My interest: 1/8 scale OFF-road electric.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This time of year, there isn't much 1/8 racing in New Mexico, it's pretty much seasonal for outdoor racing in your state during the warmer months. The best I know is indoor 1/10 at Full Throttle Hobbies, I would recommend you check this track out first:
http://www.fthobby.com/

I actually raced there this past Wed night, I'm the guy in the middle of this pic here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	39402515582_efc289a062_b.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2249612

Pretty darned good racers at this club too, many of these guys race both 1/8 and 1/10 cars, we had some close racing where I qualified 3rd (only 1.5 seconds behind 1st qual) but I was able to drive the cleanest and took the win in the main:

Name:	39402515372_621a586058_b.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2249613

Associated is by far the most popular brand ran at this club, so that's what I would recommend running just so you get the best local tuning advice and part support:

Name:	38554859455_4e0d675e24_c.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2249614

As for me, I like to run Tekno, I was the first to show up to this club with a Tekno which is why they now have 1 marked win for that brand. The only reason I might consider Tekno is because their 1/10 buggy handles very similar to the 1/8 buggy making it very easy to transition between both classes without having to drive your lines differently. Let me know if you decide to go Tekno and I'll be happy to provide my setup sheet for what worked well for me at this club. Only drawback with Tekno is that you'll have to rely on mail order parts support if you go this route... I'm a pretty clean driver so I don't go through parts... Tekno is definitely more durable than Associated, but no 1/10 buggy is bullet proof... if you go with Associated, you'll break more parts but at least you'll have plenty of parts in stock at the local track to keep you running.

If you're willing to travel out of state, I'd highly recommend visiting the local club in my area, I think it's arguably one of the best tracks in the US:
https://www.thornhillrc.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39402515582_efc289a062_b.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2249608   Click image for larger version

Name:	39402515372_621a586058_b.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2249609   Click image for larger version

Name:	38554859455_4e0d675e24_c.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2249610  

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ABQ is about a 3 hour drive for me, Hutto, TX, 9 hours, it's why I built my own track and when the weather is nice, it's a short walk to my backyard verses a 6 hour round trip drive to ABQ (the nearest track that I know of). I never updated that thread because there didn't seem to be any interest.

The Thornhill track rules seem restrictive, while I can understand a gearing restriction (how do they enforce that, disassemble your car and count teeth?). But if one is smarter than the "child" that designed the production model car, it should be allowed (after all, production models are for profit, not quality). It looks the interest in this track is to promote car brands and not racing. I have Redcat because of parts availability on eBay and I don't have a local hobby store. I do like the large aluminum base frame on the Terremoto, when other cars are seem to be mainly plastic

My 1/10 scale car (Redcat) is about as fast as my 1/8 scales, but 'squirrelly', but I haven't concentrated on the 1/10 scale very much, I just wanted to see if a 1/10 scale would be fun on my track. Kicking around the idea of opening it up to the public, liability concerns is stopping me. I don't want to be sued because some dork twisted an ankle walking around on my track. I will certainly look forward to kicking your ass on the race track if I find myself in Hutto TX.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:25 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Mavrik1 View Post
... I will certainly look forward to kicking your ass on the race track if I find myself in Hutto TX.
I race pretty much every imaginable electric class out there, looking forward to running with you, whatever you got to bring to the plate and happy to serve it up brotha

Originally Posted by Mavrik1 View Post
It looks the interest in this track is to promote car brands and not racing.
I think it's just for fun... I probably wouldn't have pushed myself as hard as I did in the main if not for them scoring brand wins... I'm a pretty laid back driver but I really wanted to see Tekno up on the board, this promoted more competitive racing IMO.

If you don't have a local shop then I would encourage you to consider Tekno or XRay as your top 2 brands... Tekno rises to the top in my book because they not only do they offer some of the best support, they have a lifetime 50% discount on any broken parts you send in with no questions asked making them the least expensive brand to maintain over time

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, you probably will kick my ass on the race track then.

I have not been impressed YET with the Tekno brand, the link of the car you posted was a plastic tray chassis design. My Terremoto is a 1/8" thick full length aluminum frame. So far I have broken one part on my Redcat (I'm an aggressive driver), the body bracket post (now re-engineered with heavy springs instead of plastic posts, unbreakable now). I bend the wheels all the time, but these are a poor design.

If it's not clear yet, I look at things at a design engineer standpoint. Impress me mentor Bill.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure which link you're referring to, but every single Tekno chassis is made of aluminum, when it comes durability I don't think there is any other brand that can top Tekno, they offer the thickest plastic molds and just as many upgrades as luxury brands (like XRay).

If you want to be competitive on a track, then it really helps to have team driver support to get a setup sheet with track conditions similar to where you're racing... don't expect these setups to be exactly what you need, but they will help save you a lot of time and frustration to get you in the general ballpark to have a very good performing car right out of the box:

https://www.teknorc.com/setup-sheets/

There's nothing wrong with racing a RedCat, no doubt in the hands of a seasoned driver it can be very competitive, however they don't have team driver support so it might be very challenging to get a decent setup going which can put you at a significant disadvantage

Just to give you a little background on me... I've got about 7 years of racing experience and have raced roughly 20 different brands of cars before finally settling down on Tekno as my overall favorite, if there is a class isn't offered by Tekno, then alternate favorite is XRay with the caveat that XRay is a bit more pricey, but generally worth it for what you get. My next choice down the line would be Mugen if you need to cut some costs, but they aren't known for durability like Tekno and XRay are.

Best of luck in your decision!

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-01-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting, I didn't realize this setup sheet thing. While I noticed adjustment holes for things, didn't realize they had a real purpose.

My background, I have been driving RC cars for about 2 months and have no clue what I'm doing (backyard basher), I'm not a "car guy". I have repaired industrial machinery professionally for several decades, it's why I look at durability and design. I'm retired and need something to do. I used to fly hobby grade helicopters, but got tired of the extensive tuning if I crashed, which was fairly often because I was into aggressive acrobatics. A car I can just flip back over and I'm having fun again.

Would you have a link where I can learn what adjustments are needed for common handling issues?

My track is powdery desert dirt, my 1/10 scale is squirrelly, I have to ease the throttle to full speed to keep control. What is this car lacking? My first thought is a more aggressive tire tread, like sand type tires. My 1/8 scale I can full throttle off the line and it's very stable on the same track. Both cars radar at about the same speeds. I like 1/8 scale because of the heavy weight is more realistic to full size cars.

Could you recommend a 1/8 scale electric Tekno model?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tekno offers one of the best tuning guides on the market:

Name:	Set_Up_Guide.pdf
Views:	27
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2249698

For your track conditions, I would go with James Dot Evo in Super Soft compound:
https://dialedhobbies.com/component/...ategory_id,51/

The EB48.4 is a great kit:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr8000...ric-buggy-kit/

I currently run the older .3 release and it's doing really well for me, I quickly bumped up from the upper level sportsman class into the middle of the expert class at my club after switching from XRay over Tekno. I plan to sell my .3 soon and will be buying the .4 within the next couple of weeks

What part of NM do you live in? I may be coming back out for another ski trip in March and might be willing to meet up at a local club in your area if they have any 1/8 racing going on around that time. I'd also be happy to help you work your setup so you get the best potential on the track. The single best feature about the Tekno cars is they offer "Low Frequency" springs, they seem to provide the best traction of any brand that I've ran... XRay is my second favorite with their progressive springs.
Attached Thumbnails Set_Up_Guide.pdf  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This Tekno EB48 is considered an 1/8 scale? It's considerably smaller than my Terremoto. I would like your point of view on this.

Please explain how the 'softer' rubber tires with these 'pin' tread patterned would do better than paddle type tread on my powdery dirt track. These look like they are for asphalt racing.

The pinion/spur gears on the EB48 are exposed and not lubricated. Please tell me the advantages of this and why lube seems to be unimportant at this high stress junction?

There is no RC clubs remotely close to me that I know of. If you want to try my basher track, your welcome.

Thanks for the informative links

Last edited by Mavrik1; 01-02-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What city do you live the closest to?

The ET48 is a truggy and is considerably larger, I currently own the ET48.3 as well and absolutely love it:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5602...kit-pre-order/

This was the vehicle that I linked to originally but for a distributor that showed to have them in stock... it's currently the most popular truggy at just about every track I've visited in my state so not surprised to see that Tekno themselves are currently out of stock for it.

Paddle tires are best for bashing around on a sandy beach, they tend to have thick heavy rubber and will suffer in performance mostly because the compound is way too hard for a race track. I have raced on some tracks, even with a sandy/loamy mix and those Dot Evo's have nice long pins to dig into the fluff and provide excellent traction.

Exposed pinion/spurs are traditional, I've never had a problem catching any debris, even on a rough pitted track. The spur is made from delrin which is self lubricating... I have a delrin spur gear that is 4 years old too!

Here's a recent race with my ET48.3 to give you an idea of what to expect from the chassis as well as a sample of my driving skill on a smooth dusty medium to low traction track:

This is me with my truck here starting the race on the #1 position of the grid:

The top 3 finishers were all Tekno at this race with 28 entries in this class:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38293902346_2bd565e24c_c.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2249716   Click image for larger version

Name:	38372855192_a57868087f_c.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	2249717  
Old 06-11-2018, 03:36 PM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After a long absence...I got a couple of Truggy's; Losi 8eight-E and Associated RC8.2e that's in transit. All I can say is WOW. These are very stable, like it's bolted to rails. My favorite thing to drive now and I can see why you guys like them.

I got these brands because of large parts presence on eBay.

Turning mine into half bashers with large Pro-line Badlands tires, mainly because I like large tires and on my track it's impossible to get out of the vegetation with smaller tires.

BTW; I already fried the Losi ESC with larger tires, under the hood everything got blistering hot.

Last edited by Mavrik1; 06-11-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
mugeyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi mavrik1 , #1 you need to get rid of the vegetation on the race track buggies and truggies will run faster when track is groomed , when running your losi eight and rc82e check your temps on the esc and motor every few minutes with a temperature gun this will help you to keep from cooking the esc and motors ,and you can drop down a couple teeth pinion to help from burning up the esc , and motor when we race , we are on hard packed clay with mini pin tires , square pins fuzzies etc. soft compound for the grip on the hard rolled track , hope i helped
mugey
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Mavrik1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The vegetation is outside the track, clumpy desert grass, I do run off the track once in a while. Sometimes for bashing fun. I like a car that can go anywhere, 60 mph flat track to 2 foot high desert grass. (sometimes on the same run by accident, LOL)

Excessive heat can be cause by several factors. Undersized wire and ESC, too high of KV motor, gearing, tire diameter, ect. The manufactures lie about ESC amp capacity, which doesn't help sizing. The Losi should have done fine, with large tires, wire size and ESC was the problem there.

BTW; the stock Losi never cogged, impressive for a non-senor system.