Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

are there any good bashing buggies that come in kit form?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

are there any good bashing buggies that come in kit form?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 PM
R/C car guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are there any good bashing buggies that come in kit form?

i think i may want to get a buggy instead of a monster truck. i just saw a buggy going over some fairly rough terrain and it convinced me to want a buggy instead of a monster truck. it dominats over any monster truck i have seen in speed and handing.

so my question is which buggy would be best for bashing? i have heard many people ask this question before and it usually comes down to the ultra mbx pro and the x-terminator. but i would like a kit. keep in mind that i am going to be bashing a most likely no racing, unless i can find people to bash with then i may race with them. but nothing at an organized track or anything(for now). i don't really want to spend more than about $500 including radio, servos, and the kit.

i don't want something that i will have to hop-up in order to be good and it would be nice to have an engine with a good amount of power but it doesn't need an outragous amount of speed, but fast enough.

here's the vid

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/eroyer/inferno/KyoshoMP75.wmv]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/eroyer/inferno/KyoshoMP75.wmv [/link]
Old 11-05-2003, 09:57 PM
dagass

Default RE: are there any good bashing buggies that come in kit form?

I know this is going to sound crazy, but most of todays RTR's should almost be considered as kits. I say that because anyone who buys one would have to be considered crazy if they didn't tear it apart and loctite everything. When I got my PBs, I tore the whole thing down and looked at everything just so I was familiar with it when I needed to repair something. I know it sounds like a little bit of a stretch try and classify an RTR as a kit, but people pass up a lot of good buggies just because they want a kit. Personally, if I wanted a particular buggy that wasn't available in kit form, I'd buy it anyway and take it apart. After looking everything over, I can satisfy my need for building while I put it back together.

O.K., I'm done rambling! If you want a bonafide basher and you have set a 500.00 cap, take a look at the Ofna Violator. Ofna built it to be the ultimate basher and since it's basically a modified Ofna 9.5, you can upgrade if the mood strikes you. You've been around here long enough to know how fond I am of the PBS. You've seen the videos and know that it's a capable basher as well. Then you have the tried and true Ultra MBX pro and the up and coming XTM X-Terminator. Rest assured that whichever you choose, you will be getting a quality buggy that will take a serious beating.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:14 PM
R/C car guy

why is the ultra mbx pro so cheap? it is $330 and the violator, pbs, and x-terminator are over $400. by the way i am looking at the x-terminator delux if you are wondering why i said it is over $400.

i think i will do what you said and get the best buggy for me and not worry if it is a kit or not.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:21 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Hey RC check out this guy on Ebay. He has a couple of Ofna's

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50

Also www.NitroHouse.com Has all of the Ofna's in stock!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:23 PM
dagass

I think the big difference between the Ultra MBX Pro and the other buggies is in the attention to detail. While all the other buggies are solid performers that not only perform well, they look good too. If you look at the PBS, Violator and the XTM, not only are they well built, they are visually appealing and have a few extra features. The Ultra MBX Pro on the other hand is built to be a pitbull and the components don't have that "pretty" look to them. The Ultra MBX Pro was built to go fast and take a beating.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Nitroaddict

kits - well, all the bad boys are great bashers as well as racers, the kyosho inferno, the mugen mbx5, the Thundertiger EB-4 s2LE, the gs storm pro.

i own a storm pro, and eb-4s2 LE, and love them both. wont get in under 500 though.

the thunder tiger eb4 S2 is a great kit, and is can be found for about 350.00 - engine radio, misc items will put u in at about 600-650, not too far off.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

well i went with Mugen MBX4 RR, and upgraded the SNOT out of it, OS RZ motor, Front and Center Thorsen Diffs, a little graphite, and a TON of extra parts that i haven't needed yet..... this thing is SOLID as a basher!! ALSO SUPREME on the race track... i like Mugen products but you have to Pay for them!!!

I have an OFNA worlds before, which i believe is now called the ofna MBX R2... and it was a GREAT buggy for me.... i think all 1/8 scale buggies are built solid and all will take a great beating..... just my 2 cents...... get something that you think is kool!! and will enjoy!!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:41 PM
R/C car guy

since the ultra mbx pro and the violator are the only two that have been specifically designed for bashing, would it be a correct statement to say that they are the best for bashing?

of course when i say "the only two that have been specifically designed for bashing" i meen the only two out of the buggies previosly mentioned.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:47 PM
dagass

I kind of feel like a "homer" always throwing the Ofna name around everytime somebody asks about a buggy. I do it for a reason though. First is personal experience and second is the availability replacement parts (not a word Casey!). Bashing takes a toll on a buggy and having to wait to mail order parts just plain sucks! The Ultra MBX Pro and the Violator both were designed to bash and the fact that you can get parts for them almost anywhere makes them a great choice.

Are they the only worthy buggies out there? Heck no! But, when you look at the big picture and the overall experience when it comes to running and repairing, they are hard to beat.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
R/C car guy

what are some radios and engines that would be a good choice for the thunder tiger eb4 s2? remember that i am on a budget but i am willing to spend more money if the product is worth it.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 PM
joelacrane

A $500 buggy for BASHING?!!!!! You must be rich! I can't even afford an RC10GT for racing OR bashing[X(]!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Nitroaddict

rc guy - good radio for a budget is the airtronics mx3 - about 120.00 and fully loaded.

i use the hitec 3d fm, but its quite pricey

as for engines, i use the OS .21RZ, again, a lil expensive, the ofna hyper 8port and the OS .21RG are both good engines, and around 170, 120 respectivly

if u want more info on the EB-4, i posted a HUGE thread about it a while back, with tons of pics. if u cant find the thread, PM me and ill send u a buch of photos of the build process. u can also see tons of info, and a step by step build at www.twf8.ws - the best buggy site on the planet!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:51 PM
R/C car guy

i think the thunder tiger buggy is a little too expensive for me. with the kit, radio, and engine it will be about $600. i think the ultra mbx pro or the violator would be better for me. unless the thunder tiger would actually be that much better, but then again i'm not racing so i don't really want to spend fortune on it.

could someone give a comparison of the mbx pro and the violator? considering this is my first nitro car i'm not very good at comparing the details of similar cars.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:10 AM
dagass

There are a few big differences between the Ultra MBX Pro and the Violator. The Violator has the Offset C-hub design while the MBX Pro is PBS (in the front). The Violator has Quad disc brakes and the MBX Pro is dual disc. The violator has a 135CC gas tank and the MBX Pro has a standard 125cc tank. The Violator comes with longer (adjustable) arms which push the the width to 330mm for increased stability. The Violator also comes with Ofnas new Roto start while the MBX Pro is pullstart. The Violator has swaybars in both the front and rear while the MBX Pro is rear only. And lastly, the Violator comes with the polished 9.5 tuned pipe while the Ultra MBX Pro comes with a black aluminum one.

There are quite a few differences between the two and in my opinion, the Violator is worth the extra money. Toss in a hi torque steering servo and a Nimh battery, and you should come in right around $500.00.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

I went with a Mugen MBX4 Works. Othther than a $.28 Joint pin, I've yet to break anything!
I've only put a gallon through this thing, but still. I'm surprised I havent creamed anything. I get some major air out of this thing at my local track.
Build quality is excellent! I would buy another mugen in a heartbeat.
The Kit was 350 and well.. yeah ok the whole thing was kinda exponsive..

Ram
Old 11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
R/C car guy

i think i have decided that the violater would be the best buggy for me, thanks to you guys. but i still have the decision of going with the violator or the savage ss.

just out of curiosity, how fast can the violator go?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Nitroaddict

it depends on how the vehicle is tuned - but most buggies go from 35-45mph
Old 11-06-2003, 02:38 PM
dagass

Yeah, the Violator is going to get you 42-45 out of the box (according to RC Car Action when they reviewed the 9.5 MBX. Pretty much the same buggy) and with a clutchbell change you'll be in the high 40's.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:19 PM
R/C car guy

is this thing going to have a good amount of HP and torque out of the box? or will there have to be some changes made for it to have power? 40mph is fast enough for me, i just want to make sure it has power too.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:23 PM
dagass

The Force .26 has a ton of power! The Violator should be a rocket out of the box. If you need more power than that, you're an "adrenaline junky". In box stock trim, the Violator should take off like a bullet and reach top speed very quickly. No need for a power upgrade.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Nitroaddict

ORIGINAL: R/C car guy

is this thing going to have a good amount of HP and torque out of the box? or will there have to be some changes made for it to have power? 40mph is fast enough for me, i just want to make sure it has power too.

it depends on what u are expecting. if u are coming from RTR ST's then yes, it is gonna be very fast. however, if u are used to RB Rody modified big blocks, and Paris Racing engines, than no - it will seem slow as a pig.

if this is ur first buggy - it will be plenty fast for u. even the slowest of the crop are more than fast enough to have fun with. remember - its not usually about top speed, its about acceleration.

a 299 dollar Ofna LX and a 3500 dollar kanai II modified are gonna be within 10-20mph of each other. the diff is how fast they can get to top speed, and how the handle.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:55 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

You guys stop talking about my Violator I can't get any work done. I have a smile from one ear to the other! It will be here tomorrow!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:58 PM
dagass

Give us your address, I wanna bribe your local UPS driver to drive by your place 50 times and not stop. Oh the pain!!! Betcha don't sleep tonight!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Mavericman

i liek the inferno .15 size it looks cool, but its 1 10 scale and it does not have a low speed needle on the engine.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:12 PM
studysession

I read most of the posts - Just a thing before you get the violator. Most tracks it is not race legal. So make sure it is what you want. Bashing I think it will be very good, think it would be a good racer also if the track allows it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.