Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

What 1/8th scale Buggy For RC10 Guy

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What 1/8th scale Buggy For RC10 Guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 05:25 PM
tcr1016

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 1/8th scale Buggy For RC10 Guy

I have raced RC10s and XXX-NTs for about 3 months. No Offence, but this 31 year old guy hates getting beat by the high schoolers in the expert class. I always see the 8th scale GUYS and I would rather be beaten by them. Yeah know image thing Well now to my question: What buggy should I get for starters? And one that is bulletproof like the RC10, not fragile like the XXX-NT. I have heard the XTM is good, OFNA breaks, and Mugen is great but you will need to give your left *** to afford it. I am on a limited budget, my wife is getting pissed about my helo (aerohawk), plane (GWS A-10), so funds are low.

Thanks for your help,

Todd
Old 11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What 1/8th scale Buggy For RC10 Guy

the ofna buggys are great ! they will beat most of any thing on the track if tuned right!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:30 PM
royta

OFNA's break? You should run that by dagass and see what he has to say about that.

Roy
Old 11-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

I've got an XTM X-terminator and love it. I don't know about the others but the guys that have ofna's seem to like them also.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Aerobirdbrain

Ofna buggies have proven themselves over and over and just about everyone that buys one falls in love with em because of their reliability, durability and just straight up all out good performance. Though I am a Mugen guy myself, the fist buggy that I drove (might as well say piloted)was an Ofna buggy and, of course, it got me hooked!
http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=OFN34310
http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=OFN34956
Old 11-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Henderson

royta
OFNA's break? You should run that by dagass and see what he has to say about that.
Be your own man Roy. Give me your opinion, not somebody else's.

tcr -

Welcome to Ofna's official cheerleading site. Gooooooooooooo OFNA!!!

Actually they are good buggies for the money. They have some nicely priced RTR packages. Seeing as you're a racer, stick with a Hyper 7 Pro, PBS or PCR if you go with an Ofna. Most of their other models are bashing buggies that have outlaw engines and dimensions (too wide).

Mugen is great but you will need to give your left *** to afford it
True. Kyosho Kanai's and Mugen MBX-5's cost big by the time you're done outfitting them, but most Ofna's that are raced regularily end up hopped-up over time to the point they cost just as much. There's no cheap way out if you wanna race 1/8 scale every week.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:04 AM
royta

Hey now. I wasn't recommending them or even saying they were a better buggy than the Frog.

I simply stated that they were sturdy buggys. Have you seen some of the videos that dagass has posted? I can't imagine the OFNA as being an easily breakable buggy after seeing dagass' footage.

Roy
Old 11-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I am happy with the XTM Xterminator... It is funny, I was gonna buy the OFNA buggy. I had my
heart set on it. When I went to the shop to drop $400, the guy was SUCH an azzhole, I walked
right out and to Hobby People and bought the Xterminator for $340 20 minutes later.

It is a good car so far. It is unbelievably fast with the 24.7. I have no complaints really to
speak of.

I think if you are a good driver with a <$400 budget, an OFNA Ultra MBX PRO or the XTM Xterminator would
have my vote, and you will still be competitive with the other buggies.

If you have $500 or more, I would consider the other buggies these guys mentioned too.

I hear you about the wife... Mine might force me to sell my xterminator soon...
Old 11-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Nitroaddict

If you want to race - you are going to need to do two things.

1. Goto your LHS and see what they stock, nothing worse than breaking something during qualifing, and not being able to repair it since it isnt in stock.

2. Figure out how much money you want to spend. Entry level racing is fine, but if you are a die hard racer such as myself, then 8th scale is gonna cost ya.

Regardless of the Ofna dominance here at RCU, I still dont like them. To me they are a great bash buggy, but arnt yet up to par with the big boys. If your budget allows, my recommendations for buggy/engine combos would be the following, in this order.

Buggies:
1. Kyosho Inferno 7.5 (not kanai)
2. Thunder Tiger EB4-S2
3. Mugen MBX5
4. GS Storm Pro

Engines:
1. RB Concepts C5
2. RB Concepts WS7 II
3. OS Max .21RZ(VO1B) - if u can find one
4. Sirio .21PRO

Here is a great site with a wealth of buggy info. The guys who run it are all top notch world champion buggy racers, so they know their stuff!

www.twf8.ws
Old 11-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Henderson

My buggy list:

1. Kyosho Kanai III (yep, sight unseen. an evo of the venerable KII; offending center LSD replaced with standard diff).
2. Mugen MBX-5
3. Everything else