Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Running in below zero to 20 degrees...!

Is it safe for me to run my buggy in these temps. Cause im getting sick of looking at it. I know the thing will be pretty brittle and if i hit something it will probably smash but good, but anyways will it hurt the motor . Any tips besides wrapping the cooling head with only a fin or 2 showing???
    \"SUA SPONTE\"
    (Of Their Own Accord)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Running in below zero to 20 degrees...!

i ran mine when it was 15 out, and the next day at 15 degrees, the motor temp diff between both days were a wild swing.
    id keep a CLOSE eye on the temps, and like someone else sugested, put a sock on the head.
    that cols crisp air will tend to make it run on the lean side, so becareful at those temps.
    XB8
    RB S5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would not run it in that weather. Personally - I don't run mine unless it is 50 - 55 degrees outside. Even then they don't like it and things break real easy.

I know how you feel. I have rebuilt the tranny on my 1/10th scale ST and rebuilt the shocks and just got a set up station and will be playing with that.

Your other option is to do what I am going to start doing in the next week or so - PAINT THE KITCHEN!!!

You may want to look into the threads a little deeper because just with in the last week there was the question asked - I think it is/was cold weather running or something like that.

slicks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

running it in the cool like that is just like over heating it.. i like mine to run over 180 deg or i don't run it..

p.s. cool weather suck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you guys are lucky in some ways we never have snow and we like never go bellow 10 degrees cellsius. i wish we had snow it owuld be so fun i live in australia. it is an awersome place. but i am temproarly at idle because i am buying a new rb mod c5 ans a new k3 that and my hitec aggressor crx is temporarly broken. once i get them i will be going crazy. i am manly waiting on my remote so i can run my other 2 cars at the moment.
    Mbx-5 with rody c5
    what a powerhouse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL come live at my pad for a winter , i garantee you will be scurrying back to the land down under in a hurry...! LOL I would love to go to australia and see a kangaroo and push 1 of my buddies in to it to see what it does to him LMAO. ! good plus of the snow which is now at 4.5 feet is the snowmobiling is outrageous. Launching off 12 foot drifts at 80 90 mph is a real adrenaline rush.
    \"SUA SPONTE\"
    (Of Their Own Accord)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think i would like living where it snows we never hae it and i think it would be awersome. especially if i had a crazy dad like you who was launching his snowmobile off 12 foot jumps that woul be awersome. and the funniest thing would be if you stacked and hit a tree. but anyway hereis always fun we have warm to hot days and we have nice beaches.
    Mbx-5 with rody c5
    what a powerhouse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run my Nitro MT in 0C temps sometimes, I try not to take it out under 0C though. The .15CV heats up easily due to the stupid square head (gets up to around 250F), but if you can get a smaller cooling head for your engine, it'll warm up easier, and you can lean the top end out to bring up the temps (it'll be lean enough already anyways). For say if you have a S7 or WS7 you can throw on an RB Econco head or so.
    - OFNA Hyper 7 / Hyper 21 8P (soon RB WS7-II)
    - HPI RS4 Nitro MT / Sirio SP12TRP (2-speed)
    - HPI RS4 Nitro MT / RB CS 5-port (Wolfgang .21 conv.)
    - Team Losi XXT graphite / 10T D4

Don\'t buy Smartech!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: slicks
    Personally - I don't run mine unless it is 50 - 55 degrees outside.
    I second that. Running in the cold is very hard on the engine. I said this in detail on the last thread about this. It's just not a good idea.

What I've done this winter is turn to building. It's just as fun to build RCs as it is to run them (for me). Sure, I can't burn any nitro, but fixing stuff up and building stuff is fun.

-RobH
    race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear ya on the cold, so i havent ran it ecept for an idle in the heated garage. I bought a BVM Super Bandit Turbine Jet. Gonna start flying jets now instead of my planes and helis. Just gonna take alot of time to get going.
    \"SUA SPONTE\"
    (Of Their Own Accord)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: slicks

I would not run it in that weather. Personally - I don't run mine unless it is 50 - 55 degrees outside. Even then they don't like it and things break real easy.

I know how you feel. I have rebuilt the tranny on my 1/10th scale ST and rebuilt the shocks and just got a set up station and will be playing with that.

Your other option is to do what I am going to start doing in the next week or so - PAINT THE KITCHEN!!!

You may want to look into the threads a little deeper because just with in the last week there was the question asked - I think it is/was cold weather running or something like that.

slicks
    u dont like to drive in 55 degree weather? you wuss, I wish we had that here. I'd be running right now in like 20 degree if it wasnt snow covered and massive flurries right now..

55 degree is WARM!
    RC\'\'\'\'ing since I was born.. basically... hah

Brushless FLM E-Maxx on Lipos
    Stock 2.5 Tmaxx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its in canada and -15. I run mine, just cant get the thing to tune correctly, I have to lean it out to start then I richin it then go [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: caseyddr
    u dont like to drive in 55 degree weather? you wuss.
    I think my personal cut off is 45-50 degrees. Anything below that and I wont start 'em up. The reason however is for the engine and not myself. If I though it was OK to do, I'd be out in the single digits wrapped up in fur like an Eskimo, jumping the snow mounds with my RC.
    race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it... race it... break it... fix it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i run my savage every weekend in this cold weather. and haven't had an issue. no temp problems or starting or tuning issues. i just check the tune and set it for the cold. i'm kind of new to nitro motors but if the engine temps ok then there shouldn't be an issue correct? i can't see the cold affecting anything other than the tune which you can adjust for the conditions your running in .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

most ppl worry about the dense air, I run extremely rich in cold weather to make sure my motor doesn't lose any lubrication, and I also wrap the head to retain heat at the same time. Works great long as there is no snow.
    RC\'\'\'\'ing since I was born.. basically... hah

Brushless FLM E-Maxx on Lipos
    Stock 2.5 Tmaxx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a ofna pbs and my limit well . . . no limit lol but im jus fine no temp probs can start it up within 10 seconds and iceee and snow ball fights and 10 drifts to jump but i wont do that or ill loose it in the snow have to find it but my dad let me jump from 2 storiy house in to drifts and then i dig my self out very very very fun.
    ok here it is im getting a gas rc car and the guy im getting it from runs on 20% blend beause he live were its cold so he says that i should switch to 30% blend will that due any thing to the engine???