Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

ok..whats the difference??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:34 AM
04TMAXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok..whats the difference??

well i got a t-maxx recently and im hooked on the nitro thing..now i want a buggy! i know there are a million posts about these things, but i have a question. i really like the hyper 7's...whats the differenve b/w the PCR/PBS and regular rtr kit? i dont really wanna buy a super crazy chassis then add a motor. i will be using it exclusively for bashing..no racing as of yet..any other reccomendations?? thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:35 AM
04TMAXX

Default RE: ok..whats the difference??

oh yeah...i wanna stay in the 500 dollar range..so i want the best bang for my buck..somethin i dont have to replace every part on as soon as i get it!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:51 AM
04TMAXX

and what about the MBX and ultra GT's? whats the deal with them?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:18 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

you should check out www.ofna.com. on the bottom right-hand side of the main page, under nitro talk back, there is a forum. there lies the answers to every question you have about ofna buggies. i have a hyper 7 pcr. it is my first nitro buggy, and so far i can not keep it running. this problem is largely due to my ignorance of nitro engines. when it does run, it seems to be pretty fast. i have invested in a good FM radio, high torque servo, and fail safe. i have also ordered an O.S. 20 E carb. so i spent $450 for the buggy, and another $180 on mandatory upgrades. if you count the $66 for the carb, that brings the total to $247, plus shipping. $700. oh, i forgot you have to get 2 6 cell flat packs and a battery charger for the starter box that comes with the PCR. i also doubt the capabilities of the glow plug igniter that comes in the box, so i also ordered a plug igniter with a rechargeable battery and a power meter.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Nevadastars

I believe the regular RTR kit may be discontinued. I cant seem to find anyone selling it. Plus, its more money than the PCR and has less parts, like the laydown servo option or pullstart. I just bought a PBS/PCS at my the local hobby shop for a smokin' $419. Tower Hobbies still list the regular RTR kit, but dont know if they still have or sell it. I did a lot of research on the Ofna, and other RTR's before I took the plunge. The PBS/PCR is by far the hands down winner as far as value and being able to race it if you desire. The other Ofna kits are made by a different Taiwan company than HoBao who make the PBRs. Supposedly they use cheaper parts, dont have as nice of suspension and dont race real well. You cant go wrong with the PBR/PCS. They are also on ebay well under $500.

Hope this helps
Old 02-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Da Smak
Banned

The regular RTR kit is still on sale. But your better off getting the Sport if that's what you want. But Bang for a Buck it has to be the PBS everything you need for $410 which leaves you enough for Nitro, batteries and a high torque servo. Laydowns would break too much for a basher.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Triggerhappy101

If you want a buggy for pure bashing get the Violator 9.5. Its made for bashing. The hyper 7 pbs is a great buggy. The ONLY mandatory upgrade is a better transmiter/reciver and steering servo upgrade.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
04TMAXX

im a self proclaimed newb to the buggies thing. i only want it for bashing..dont see any racing in the near future...so what makes the violator better for bashing than the pbs/pcr, etc??
Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 PM
04TMAXX

anyone??
Old 03-11-2004, 12:58 AM
RC Maniac

I can't really speak for the other buggies,but the Violator is the ultimate bashmobile! I'm telling you this thing is seriously BRUTAL!! To top it off you can get one for about $420 shipped with almost everything you need. It is 8MM wider than most other buggies. This gives you more stability when thrashing about. The offset kingpin knuckels lets you turn alot harder and quicker. It also helps you "fly" the car when it is in the air ,but watch our it is a finness game. You can over turn it. The Violator is awsome for the jumps. My ramp sends this thing about 14 ft. high. Like I said in other posts, I bash the hell out of this buggy and I haven't broken one part yet. It is amazing! My buddies break stuff all of the time and they aren't nearly as harsh as I am. I may be just lucky, but I wouldn't have anything else.

Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 AM
04TMAXX

ok..im sold..i want somethn for bashing..this looks like the one!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Well the 9.5 Violator is made for bashing, but as said it's width let's it down. But only coz it's too wide for efra rules.

ps before you bite. I know you dont want to race, but the A arms can be trimmed to narrow it, if you do.