Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OFNA PRODUCT DECEPTION?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:08 PM
oldchopdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA PRODUCT DECEPTION?

I recently purchased an R/C from OFNA. On the web-site and on the box it shows the same engine that has a nicely anodized cooling head with the engines name engraved in the top. The engine is shown 10 times on the box and 4 times on the OFNA web-site with this very nice looking cooling head. When you open the box what you get is an ugly flat black painted cooling head with a snap on plastic cover. OFNA told me that this change to the engine was made over a year ago, yet they haven't changed their web-site advertisements or box either. They also will not replace it unless I remove the cooling head and mail it back to them at my expense, which means I wouldn't be able to run a new car for quite a while. I'm pretty much forced to settle for something I did not want!

Be careful what you buy!

Here's what's advertised versus what you actually get:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54432.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	184364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39019.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	184365  
Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Default RE: OFNA PRODUCT DECEPTION?

OldChopDOc-

The Hyper 7's I got almost 1.5 years ago had those same motors in them- flat black 8 port with plastic snap on gimmick.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:42 PM
binaryterror

2 choices here:
1. Accept the change as a production change.
2. Whine about it force Onfa to change it thus raising the price since there would need to be re-sampled print samples and web guy to work.

BTW: If you are buying a car because of the head color...wow.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

You what I'd be curious about is the engine with the black case used to be the 4-port and the purple head is the 8-port
has anyone actually looked at the newer black head engines to see if it actually has the 8-port p/s??
Now if it doesn't, that would be a deception.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

i had one and it IS a 8 port. i got one of the "bad ones" . couldnt keep a tune. and that plastic piece lasted about 1 lap at the track and it keeps heat in. well i guess you need heat this time of year where im from...
Old 10-19-2004, 03:19 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Yea I took mine apart and double checked the sleeves. But I only ran one- just sold the rest- took one look at the inner craftsmanship of the motor and it was soo cheesy- I just sold the rest for $75. I had 3 of em.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
MrSavage

am i missing something? last time i checked, having a black cooling head instead of a purple one wasn't a horrible thing.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
El Pirata

ORIGINAL: scale_only_4_me-RCU

You what I'd be curious about is the engine with the black case used to be the 4-port and the purple head is the 8-port
has anyone actually looked at the newer black head engines to see if it actually has the 8-port p/s??
Now if it doesn't, that would be a deception.
You all might want to write this date down, I am actually agreeing with my esteemed coleauge (however you spell the dern word). I may not know apples from oranges however the only engine that Ofna sells that has a black head and says Hyper 21 on the side is the old hyper 21 rated at 1.9hp vs the 8 port hyper 21 rated at 2.5hp. As far as a sollution to your problem you're unfortunately up a creek. Unless you are a lawyer or have a free one you're better off just accepting things no matter how wrong they are.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 PM
El Pirata

ORIGINAL: MrSavage

am i missing something? last time i checked, having a black cooling head instead of a purple one wasn't a horrible thing.
If it turns out they included the wrong engine then it's a problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: MrSavage

I guess that depends on who you checked with, now doesn't it?
If you think you're buy bling bling and you get blaa blaa, you have a right to be disapointed,
personally it wouldnt matter to me.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:36 PM
livthemoment

You could ask for your money back and if they refuse then take them to small claims court. If they advertise an all metal cooling head, but give you a metal one with a plastic top THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISING plain and simple. You have proof by description. Make hard copies of everything on the website and noterize it. You can take legal action with out a lawyer.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
El Pirata

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

You could ask for your money back and if they refuse then take them to small claims court. If they advertise an all metal cooling head, but give you a metal one with a plastic top THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISING plain and simple. You have proof by description. Make hard copies of everything on the website and noterize it. You can take legal action with out a lawyer.
Hey there now kid, you better watch a few more episodes of the people's court. It is NOT false advertising to include something that is not in the description such as adding an additional part like the plastic head protector. It is false advertising to not include something that is in the description. What is the likelyhood of you actually gaining something from the dispute? Probably slim. Ofna already said they would replace the head if the buyer would pay for the shipping, so they have made their commitment to right wrong things, weak but they still offered. It does cost something that's called MONEY to file almost anything in any city, state or federal court. All in all even if Ofna didn't put the right engine in there or whether they are found guilty of false advertising you're looking at a $50 part awarded to you and $200 in court fees for your lawsuit.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:09 PM
oldchopdoc

I bought the buggy for my son's birthday. I run an MBX5.

Ofna's explanation for black spray paint and plastic "fall off and role away thing" on top, versus anodizing and engraving, is that it cools much better. I guess if that's true the people at Novarossi, Picco, RB Concepts and a bunch of others are way behind in engine technology...NOT!

Some call it whining...I just don't like buying something that is advertised as one thing and then getting something cheaper for the same price. Thought I would bring it up so anyone thinking about one of these buggies would know what they're buying. I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission today about it...Mostly because of the ethics of it all.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:32 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Imm- Novarossi, RB etc. all use a very similar cooling head composite as the Hyper 21's. The old Hyper 21 cooling head was straigh billet- worthless because of its emmissivity it would give false readings. Kinda like buying an oversized bling billet cooling head nowadays- and thinking your motors running cooler- but really the emissivity is shooting your temp gun to read a false reading.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
El Pirata

ORIGINAL: oldchopdoc

I bought the buggy for my son's birthday. I run an MBX5.

Ofna's explanation for black spray paint and plastic "fall off and role away thing" on top, versus anodizing and engraving, is that it cools much better. I guess if that's true the people at Novarossi, Picco, RB Concepts and a bunch of others are way behind in engine technology...NOT!
Not calling your logic on the cooling wrong but there are a few things that you didn't think of, Ofna takes 22 seconds to spray the head and an additional 3 hours waiting for it to dry versus having to send it off to be ano'd and laser engraved which takes at least a day and costs more than a can of krylon. So in theory they are not lying, the engine stays cooler because it's putting a cooler profit in their pocket.

The complaint was a great idea and hopefully you see something come back letting you know the deal.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
bugninva
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: oldchopdoc

IOfna's explanation for black spray paint and plastic "fall off and role away thing" on top, versus anodizing and engraving, is that it cools much better. I guess if that's true the people at Novarossi, Picco, RB Concepts and a bunch of others are way behind in engine technology...NOT!

it is very commonly known in aircooled engines, that a flat black surface does indeed transfer heat better than an anodized or bare surface....not new, been that way since early 1900's....
Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 PM
SKYLINE350GT

!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:03 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: SKYLINE350GT
it takes millions of dollars in R&D to make a motor- The stock cooling head is definitely a top consideration in that R&D as well.
LOL, are you saying it took over 2,000,000 to develope an engine they are selling for $120 retail, what ya think they are making per piece? $20
Boy, they better sell a bunch of them, to bad they didn't spend some of those R&D $$$ on the Carb
Maybe that's why the carb sucks so the only have to sell about 100,000 engines to break even, think how much they would have to sell to cover the cost of R&D on a decent Carb
Old 10-19-2004, 08:22 PM
El Pirata

Exactly. Why do you think RB, Nova, OS, Picco all have flat painted surfaces- not anodized! That's why all those BIG HEAD bling anodized aftermarket cooling heads out there are a waste of money. Thehead on your motor is designed specifically for that motors characteristics. it takes millions of dollars in R&D to make a motor- The stock cooling head is definitely a top consideration in that R&D as well.
First off it's an ENGINE, not a motor, ask a mechanical engineer the difference. Secondly, it does not cost millions of dollars in R&D for each engine model that comes out. We're not talking major inovations here just a little at a time improving an engine that was originally created decades ago.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:33 PM
chuckyegg

oldchopdoc...I'd say you were lucky all in all.

Firstly, anodised purple......is it just me, or does anybody else thing is seriously.........gay? I dont want a pink anything. Or a purple one. A purple petrol head toy? Its so....eurgh. The Savage, with all that purple stuff...its hideous. Have you seen how the PINK pipe coupler looks on it? Like something you're supposed to attach to your dong, not your MT. And the springs (on the SS)?? They're a truly nasty purple, that just scream out "BUY SHOCK SOCKS"!

Secondly, it is probably the best cooling head for the engine, as everyone else is saying. All you need to do, is lose that icky PINK cap off the top, and you're all set. Lucky you......I like the black. Sadly, my RR Sacker buggy (lightning to you americanos), came with a purple PAINTED cooling head! Would you like it? Its revolting, but who cares really? The buggy drives great, and when its in motion, its sort of a big blur....Im not driving round thinking "Hmm....this is fun, but it'd be alot more fun if I didnt have that purple head on it".
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM
SKYLINE350GT

!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
SKYLINE350GT

!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
El Pirata

If the color of what you're using has your manhood threatened then maybe you need to reevaluate your manhood. Pink, blue, green purple, etc just so long as it runs.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:15 PM
El Pirata

You obviously have no idea about how the Business World works. Here's a tip- Remove foot from mouth- now!

How much do you think the machines alone costs to produce the motors- more than a few million. Than the design- testing, man hours, reliability, durability, extreme testings. marketing, packaging, distributing ETC. ETC. ETC.
More than a few measly million by the time the motor is launched.
You're talking like each and everyone of the companies that produce a 2 stroke engine invests a million into each and every design that they have. Frankly if you expect me or anyone to believe that you probably expect them to believe you have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell them too. The 2 stroke engine has been out for decades upon decades. It's not a new design. Every new engine that comes out, say the sirio monster 27 which added more ports to the engine totalling 11. You're telling me they spent millions on this idea of say taking where Ofna had gone with their 8 port hyper 21 and adding 3 additional ports? Real car engines I might buy off on millions of dollars of research but not an item that will be selling for anywhere between $100 - $500, the vast majority of which will sell for under $200. This is twice in the same day I am wholeheartedly agreeing with scale_only_4_me-RCU.

There's a fat chance of me removing my foot from my mouth since it is not in my mouth but you ought to smell what you are shoveling. Let me pull up me boots a little higher because the stuff is getting thick.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 PM
fhm101

While the exhaustive testing may have been done in the past, it seems these days an engine goes from the CAD system to production, then to market where WE get to do the exhaustive testing at OUR expense. It's not just engines, companies have figured out that (especially) in rc, there are enough people that want to be the "firstest with the mostest" that a bit of hype is enough to get a decent test sample out to the public. Even if the product bombs it does not seem to have enough negative impact on sales to force the company to do the right thing by those they have porked. I guess it would be safe to say for the most part, rc product manufacturers see us as just another heard of sheep lining up for shearing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.