Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

engine bearing shot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:57 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine bearing shot?

i haven't run my RB S7 all that much, and it has been running irratically late. the engine would start off running great, then begin to loose bottom end response, and temps shot up. there was also a heavy amount of oil residue under the carb, and behind the flywheel. this is very much like the way my hyper 8 port began to act when i decided to trash it. i disassembled the bugy this afternoon for cleaning, removed the clutch and flywheel, and discovered that the front engine bearing has noticeable wear. i took it out, held it up to the light, and could see through cracks in the bearing seal. so my question is, how often do you guys replace bearings, and is this a common event? i haven't kept track, but i am quite sure that i haven't burned more than a couple of gallons in this engine. thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 PM
viper463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine bearing shot?

Bearings need to be replaced when they need to be replaced. Theres no way to tell how long they will last. If you have a few gallons through the motor then go ahead and replace the bearing. If it has cracks in the seal like you say then it's a airleak. Any airleak will cause the temps to shoot up. Check the pinch also you may have a problem there to. If the bearing is bad it also could be causing the crank to make contact with the case and that will cause a heat build up also. Just check everything out and replace what is needed and you should be up and running again. I've had to replace bearings in a motor after 2 gallons so it's just something that happens