Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Official Mayhem Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:31 PM
A77ICUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Mayhem Thread

Yes, I know there already is a Mayhem thread with 18 pages but only 5 of them are actually talking about the buggy. So let me tell you now please no random side talk, not to be rude or anything but I want this thread to be strictly about the Sportwerks Mayhem because it is an AUSOME buggy. I have recently recieved one for my B-Day and from day 1, I have not seen one thing wrong with it at all. If you want to read a review on it by Eric Hege, go here:[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=423]Sportwerks Mayhem Review[/link]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Official Mayhem Thread

Ok...I posted this in the other thread but maybe it would be better here. Though that other thread did have some great info tucked in there.

I just picked up a Mayhem. Its my 1st nitro car. I come from a background of on road electric racing. Though I have never built an 1/8th scale car, nor do I have any 1/8th scale to compare to I must say the quality of this car seems pretty good.

A few questions for you Mayhem owners:

What parts have you broken?

and what spare parts do you keep with you?

What upgrades have you found?

I ask because the track I race at has no hobby shop on site....Thanks for your help!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
whtemke

i was wondering if anyone knows the top speed out of box this mayhem buggy is
Old 12-05-2004, 12:23 PM
A77ICUS

So far the only things I have broken on my Mayhem are the clutch (Engine to powerful for a 3-Shoe spring) quick fix for that was the Werks Racing Sliding Clutch and after racing my friends T-Maxx in a drag race down my street I ended up with a bent front shock tower, keep in mind my friends T-Maxx ended up needing a new MOTOR and TRANNY. As for hop-ups get the Pro Mayhem parts. Thats what I did for my shock tower and there is a big difference in part quality the shock tower is a lot thicker 4mm maybe. As for spare parts pick up a Caster/Camber Bag part number SWK3138 the spacers on the uppper suspension arms seem to pop off after about 10 jumps going 20-25 feet in the air no biggy. Lastly totally stock, I found out with the 9mm venturi the throttle is "Explosive" and figuring the police man wasn't screwing around the Mayhem Box Stock with 9mm venturi goes 47.5MPH. Any other questions feel free to post them up.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Bark-RCU

Ive had my Mayhem for about 6 weeks now.It's a nice buggy! I race mine at my LHS and it handles as well as anything else on the track.Mine was the RTR version so I made some basic changes off the bat.I swapped the original radio gear for my trusty M8 ,94359 for steering,and JP-1 header and pipe.

I'd like to hear about some other peoples experiences with this buggy.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:31 AM
JustinWZP

Are you happy with the JP1? Noticable difference?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:37 AM
AVIATOR135
My Feedback: (18)

FOR BUGGY RACING GO WITH THE JP-2 LOW AND MIDRANGE, REMEMBER THESE CARS ARE FOR OFFROAD TRACKS NOT DRAG RACING! HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Engrose

It can be a problem when giving advice to others before you get experience yourself that your advice can be wrong.
If you wanted low and midrange then you should have taken the JP-1!
The JP-2 are for the long tracks and boosts the mid and high end torque.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

good call engrose!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
JustinWZP

I just ordered a hard anodized JP-1 from southeastrc.com. Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Engrose: Thanks for the correction. The people at southeastrc.com confirmed everything you said.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Engrose

Good that it was a help to you.

Always nice to hear that I was right.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Dr. Rod Bender

i just have one thing to say....Get the four disc brake upgrade!!!! the stock brakes were horrible. Now it stops on a dime with an adjustability from mild to just plain lock-up....No brake fade or binding...cheap part big improvement...get some!!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
cardriverx

Im thinkin of gettin a mayhem soon, and i was wonderin how good is it for bashing? I want to mostly bash, maby a little racin here and there.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM
jdheff1982

I just got a Mayhem RTR lst Saturday!! Let me just say WOW!! I have only had 1 day to break in the engine and partially tune it. But so far, it has tons more power than my Traxxas Rustler ever did. I question though. Once I tuned the top side to where I wanted it, then tuned the bottom side where I wanted it, the engine wants to race really high before dropping then dying. Sometimes it will just want to stay racing high. I took the needles back to factory and it still does the same thing. ANy ideas as to what I am doing wrong here?? There is still plenty of white/blue smoke being produced, so I don't have it too lean. Any ideas would really help! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:23 AM
mhood

does anyone know of a 2 speed trans that might work on the mayhem. i want a little more speed when i get it, but i want to be able to change it back. that way i can run it fast or make it single speed again and go off-road without the worries of it being too weak. by the way--- macs hobbies in t-town al. has rtr mayhem for 440 plus shipping. thats where im going.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 AM
moose24

How fast are you wanting to go? And Why?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Engrose

The easy way to get more speed is to get a clutchbell with more teeths. Then you can change back when using it off-road!
You loose acceleration when using larger teethnumber, but gain topspeed.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 PM
punkska20

I bought mine a little over a month ago and it worked great until 2 weeks ago. It started right up every time and wouldn't die until i killed it or it ran out of gas. Then one Sunday it started acting retarted. It would go for a few seconds then die. I noticed that the clutch bell was locked up so i figured that the clutch or springs were bad. I called Horizon and they sent me new clutch shoes and springs. I installed them and now the clutch bell turns freely. Just as that problem was resolved I started having another problem. The carb won't pull fuel into the engine. The fuel lines and gas tank are air tight and there is nothing blocking the fuel inlet nipple on the carb. I guess there is a leak somewhere past the carb that is not allowing pressure to build and the fuel to flow but I am out of ideas. If i put fuel directly into the carb the engine will fire right up then die out. ideas???
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
moose24

On my Mayhem, the fuel filter started to unscrew itself and was leaking fuel and then I lost the Carb retainer during a race causing the the carb to work loose. I had already replaced the fuel tubing( cheap thing to replace and it might help).
Old 02-16-2005, 03:25 PM
punkska20

I put some soapy water around the seal where the carb goes in to the engine block and blew through the fuel line. It bubbled up, so I think that might fix it. Only problem is that when i tightened down the screw that holds the carb in place I stripped it. D'oh! Is there anything I could put around the outside to fix the leak?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:50 PM
slapshot454

Hey, i have been looking into getting a new engine for my buggy and i like the looks of the .26 that comes in the rtr mayhem. what do you guys think of the engine, is it easy to tune and does it have a lot of power. If anyone has been able to compare it to a better engine like an os or novarossi, how does it compare. I dont have the money for the real good engines so i was thinking of the sportwerks, let me know what you all think of it.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 AM
moose24

You can buy another Carb Retainer, if that's what you stripped, for about $6. When I lost mine during a weekend race, I actually looped a header spring around the carb and hooked each end to the engine mount. It held the carb pretty secure.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
gdc02

2 new tuning parts and mayhem at nuremburg fair

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...ber_shimms.jpg

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...lywheel_ha.jpg

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...uremberg01.jpg
Old 02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
mhood

well, around mid 50, but i still want decent accel. i have a 4tec and a friend has a nitro rustler--all i heard til i bought the 4tec was my rustler is this fast and that fast, i know they are quick, but my 4tec naturally beat it, i just want to see his face when my mayhem beats it too!
Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 AM
pkguns

Dr Rod Bender, who sells the 4 disc brake upgrade? I looked at all the regular sites I visit and can't find anything on the upgrade. Also on the clutch bell and shoes, everytime I look for parts I find nothing listed for the mayhem, so either I need to find a good source for parts or what interchanges with the mayhem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.