Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

P5, S5, S7...Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:53 AM
jeel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P5, S5, S7...Need some help.

After spending HOURS reading through the posts on various engines, I am hoping to get some help to determine what the differences are between these 3 engines...P5, S5, or the S7. I race on a tight, medium length course on hard soil with limited traction. My car is an MBX5.

My priorities are...
1. Reliability/Longevity
2. Holds a tune
3. Performance

Of the 3 engines and my priorities can you suggest which engine you would choose and why?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:03 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: P5, S5, S7...Need some help.

well that sounds like my track and the P5 and S5 are both great and hold a tune very well. i run the P5 and my good friens has the S5. we are very close but i have a bit more bottom than he does. i also have the S7 but i just keep putting the P5 back in. i hardly ever have to mess w/ the needles. the S7 i have has been modded also but it just dont have the punch that the P5 has. it is smoother(S7)not so agressive but i like agressive. ALL 3 are great motors i think it just depends on your driving style?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Mrfranchize02

On a tight track the order like HP1 said is P5, S5, S7. And if broken in properly, they all will last several gallons. I have 5 gallons through my S5 and it still has great compression, when it dies I'm going to get another one.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

i have the S7II, and can vouch for its reliability, and very good performance. it is a happy high revving engine, but offers little in the low end grunt department. however, you can compensate for this by installing 1.1 clutch springs. i also just received my WS7II, but don't have the pipe yet, and have also installed 1.1 clutch springs. these stiffer springs allow for the engine rpm's to spin up a bit before the clutch engages, allowing you a violent exit from tight turns.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Alden

Have you considered the v-spec? All the engines you mentioned are good, although I have seen and heard of many problems with the P5.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:07 PM
MassiveMods

you will want to consider avalability of parts too , the P5 parts are easy to get whereas the RB range a a little harder..
Old 03-20-2005, 12:10 PM
MassiveMods

ORIGINAL: Alden

Have you considered the v-spec? All the engines you mentioned are good, although I have seen and heard of many problems with the P5.

Yes they both have problems.. the V Spec has a rear bearing problem, it goes within the first 2 gallons , and the P5 has been known to Shatter pistons. Both Problems are easy fixed..
Old 03-20-2005, 12:21 PM
monte100

P5, try the Jp version JP Fx B5-t (my choice).
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

you gotta be kidding me? ive NEVER heard of any probs at all? and ive seen lots of guys using them. as for the JP's just a waste of cash if you ask me? but thats just me(sorry monte) you can almost get 2 of the novarossi base ones.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
djray77
My Feedback: (6)

I've never had any probs with mine or seen any others at my track have probs with theirs.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Alden

Just my experiences, just like you experience flameouts and tuning probs with the v-specs u have seen while at my track none have problems.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:12 AM
qwertydvorak

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

Yes they both have problems.. the V Spec has a rear bearing problem, it goes within the first 2 gallons , and the P5 has been known to Shatter pistons. Both Problems are easy fixed..

yes there are problems they are. Bad tuners, bad maintenance. and they are both easily fixed ~ usually.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
monte100

ORIGINAL: hyperpmp1

you gotta be kidding me? ive NEVER heard of any probs at all? and ive seen lots of guys using them. as for the JP's just a waste of cash if you ask me? but thats just me(sorry monte) you can almost get 2 of the novarossi base ones.

hows it going hyperpmp1[8D], no need to apologise, dude but i did get the stock version, not the modified, and over here in the UK, it is CHEAPER and better (as sooooo many people have claimed) than the stock novarossi/rex/top/RS5, P5's.

honestly you are gonna have to try the stock version (just ask skyline).

i don't know the price in the US, but it's gonna be way cheaper than the UK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99998.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	247098