Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

spent too much

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 05:46 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spent too much

i decided to get all new stuff for 05. i bought an mp777sp1, ws7II, futaba 3pk, chrome top starter box, and had a rarely used futaba 9402 for steering. i also replaced the steering knuckles and and chassis braces with racers edge and kng headz stuff. i didn't use the aluminum clutch shoes, clutch springs that came with the kit, opting for composite shoes and 1.1 springs that everyone suggests for the WS7II. now i am thinking that this buggy is the absolute best set-up, as far as individual components are concerned. i have had this buggy built and sitting around for about 3 weeks, waiting for the weather to improve. it finally warmed up today so i had a chance to break in the new mill, and see if there was a drastic difference over my old hyper 7 pcr. there wasn't. the hyper 7 had an S7II, was fast, and very durable. the WS7II is obviously a fast engine, but not worth the extra $70. at this point, i have to change shock oil, and try some different diff lube, but the 777 is a bit squirrely. the servo stripped, busted the wing, that's another $95 for one day. at the end of the day, i wish i had my $1500 back.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 AM
JNS

Default RE: spent too much

so your saying you dont want 1200 back and just keep the 3pk? :-p but i cant help but laugh at anything made by kyosho doing something i'd expect it to, uh oh better get xray [:'(]
Old 03-27-2005, 09:04 AM
bill61

Just put thicker diff lube in the rear end and it should help plant it more. The WS7 II is basically the same engine, it should last longer because of the materials that were used to make it. That is why I bought one also. If it lasts a gallon or two longer it is worth it I think. Just go here http://www.rc-racing.com/ and read the Kyosho thread. You will find very valuable information about tuning your buggy. I don't know why some people seem hell bent on bad mouthing other people's buggy choices. Seems to me if you don't like a particular brand don't buy it.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:13 AM
HPIDUDE

you shoulda gotta a ttr s3 or gs racing avenger or jammin xcr1
Old 03-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Mrfranchize02

ORIGINAL: HPIDUDE

That has nothing to do with the problem. Zim was a victim of marketing expectation. I will continue to preach the RC gospel, that all of the lastest cars are too similar to say which is better. Each car comes with its pros and cons. I always hear people say the 777 is twitchy or squirely, but there is nothing a good set up won't fix. Statistically speaking, the current 8th scale buggy has over a 100,000 different setups(counting every change as one). Somewhere in that big number, there lies the best setup for that car and track. If you can find that perfect setup, then you can decide if this car is twitchy or squirely. I almost got rid of my 777 a week after I got it because I was reading posts on this forum that were like the quote I have above. And thats completely non-sense. I encourage you to stick with that car. Its winning most of the pro races, so that should tell you something.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:35 PM
casper7

"Its winning most of the pro races, so that should tell you something." This is a contradiction as you stated "that all of the lastest cars are too similar to say which is better." So is it down to set-up and driver skill or is it down to make of buggie?
[/quote]

ORIGINAL: Mrfranchize02

That has nothing to do with the problem. Zim was a victim of marketing expectation. I will continue to preach the RC gospel, that all of the lastest cars are too similar to say which is better. Each car comes with its pros and cons. I always hear people say the 777 is twitchy or squirely, but there is nothing a good set up won't fix. Statistically speaking, the current 8th scale buggy has over a 100,000 different setups(counting every change as one). Somewhere in that big number, there lies the best setup for that car and track. If you can find that perfect setup, then you can decide if this car is twitchy or squirely. I almost got rid of my 777 a week after I got it because I was reading posts on this forum that were like the quote I have above. And thats completely non-sense. I encourage you to stick with that car. Its winning most of the pro races, so that should tell you something.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Mrfranchize02

You caught me. I could have left that out. But it is true that Kyosho has more drivers than any other company. I believe that all the pro cars and drivers are great so that the winning spot is just a matter of chance. If there is 4 k-cars, 1 Hobao, 2 Xb8's, 1 crono, and 1 mugen. Chances are best that a K-car will win the first spot.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
HPIDUDE

my point was that you dont need a 700 dollar buggy to win a race
Old 03-27-2005, 02:56 PM
casper7

I believe there is some truth in what you are saying, so when recommending buggies we should push best value for money and not best marketing company or best manufactor that has most drivers?[X(]
Old 03-27-2005, 03:03 PM
HPIDUDE

what i am saying is that driver is more important that machine, you could give a noob a 777SP1 and Pavidis a Hyper 7 RTR and who do you think would win
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
casper7

So why when the threads appear "which buggy should I get" "which is the best buggy is best" do the replys say get a EB4 S3 or get a K3 etc, why not say get the buggy that you like the look of best and can get spares easy as they are all basically the same and you dont have to spend too much[X(]
Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM
HPIDUDE

what are you saying
Old 03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
casper7

I am saying get the buggy that you like the look of best and can get spares easy as they are all basically the same and you dont have to spend too much[X(]

Also we need to be lead by others experience not by clever marketing[>:]
Old 03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
dryvr

zim, you have a great buggy. In fact, buggies have come a long way. Most buggies are a good buy and each one has their own characteristics. I'm sure you know this. All you have to do now is set the buggy up to your preference. You would have to do this with any buggy you would've bought. I'm sure you know that too. Figure out what your buggy is not doing for you, and do some experimenting to make it suit your preferences. Take into account "all" of the tuning options that are available on your buggy. Don't make all your changes at once. Your first changes may not work, and sometimes it can take a while before you get close. When you get your setup like you want it, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it's performance.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:20 PM
HPIDUDE

are you saying that the ttrs3 and storm are being cleaverly marketed and that the coolest looking buggy is the one that you should buy
Old 03-27-2005, 03:29 PM
casper7

Everyone wants the best buggy, the one thats being driven by the the National Champ "What ever", so if they all do the same job, why not pay the same money, it does not happen as they are marketed as being a cut above the rest (Now I am not naming any manufacture here, this is general) so I am saying I would buy the buggy that I like the look of not the one thats winning all the nationals, I would also buy the buggy that I can get spares for. I would not spend or recommend anyone spending too much just to have the in buggy or buggy of the moment.[X(]

PS this is not a dig at you
Old 03-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Da Smak
Banned

what are you saying
Possibly what I have always said, "KYOSHO ARE OVERPRICED AND OVERATED".
Old 03-27-2005, 04:41 PM
HPIDUDE

well we all know that
Old 03-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Mrfranchize02

ORIGINAL: Uberchav Alex

what are you saying
Aren't all cars overpriced? It's just a little plastic, and aluminum.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Kysi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang, howd you manage that? the only thing ive broke in my almost a year of ownership is a set of arms.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Kysi

ORIGINAL: Mrfranchize02

ORIGINAL: Uberchav Alex

what are you saying
Aren't all cars overpriced? It's just a little plastic, and aluminum.
Hear! Hear! yes, they ARE overpriced, but since thats the way things are, we cant do anything about it. as for kyoshos being overpriced and overrated, the 777sp1 costs about the same as other pro level buggies out there, the prospec being the most expensive @ about 650. behind the second part, there wasnt a little "ofnas are underrated" was theyre? its the driver that counts more than anything, and it just so happens that a good number the winning drivers are sponsored by and drive kyoshos.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:05 AM
zimzalahbim

i will probably end up falling in love with it after a couple more runs, and after i change the suspension and diff oils. if i want to get rid of the lsd diff, all i have to do is take out the metal blocks, and change the diff oil right? at this point, i have 500 weight oil in the front shocks, 400 in the back, red lsd oil in front diff, 4000 in center, 1000 in back. i think i would prefer non lsd with 5000, 7000, 1000, and use lighter weight in the front shocks. my track is pretty rough, and i don't think the suspension is working fast enough.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:09 AM
sh0wtime

you'll need to fit the complete Std front diff gears including changing the cross shafts as they are different to the TCD

i recently changed my diff setup on 777 to 5-7-3 and fitted the 2 degree rear anti squat!

not tested it yet as i've been using the XB8
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

and give that motor a chance to get good and broken in. its new and wont run to its potential yet.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 AM
zimzalahbim

track conditions changed, dried out quite a bit, and i am loving the buggy now. i have ordered the diff shafts to replace the lsd stuff, but haven't made any changes. guess i just had to get used to it a little bit. the motor is fast, replaced one of the shock bushings which cured the leaking shock. this buggy is a bit tougher than i thought it would be. i have a long double on my track that i rarely make, but attempt often. the buggy has taken some pretty hard licks so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.