Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

REX P5 vs. OS .21 v-spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default REX P5 vs. OS .21 v-spec

I notice that these two motors are in the same price range...and there have been a lot of people on here raving lately about the P5. I had planned to get a v-spec almost straight away for the Hyper, and I posted a while ago asking for my best engine options for $300 +/- 10%. How come the REX never got mentioned? If there are other engines I should be considering in this price range, please let me know.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 AM
UF DUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REX P5 vs. OS .21 v-spec

the P5 (5 port) and V-spec (3 port) are both excellent engines. both have lots of torque and plenty of top end for most tracks. the V-spec is known for its good fuel economy. the P5 is probably the favorite around here; its very reliable and very satisfying. another engine in this range is the novarossi 421 (check ebay for good prices sometimes). this is more of a top end engine (8 port) from what i have heard, but there are plenty of people who love this motor. i think showtime really likes this motor.

i have the v-spec. ive got just under a gallon through it and i love it. easy to tune and very good power all around. i dont have the others (although i did sell a 421) so i wont comment as if from personal experience.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 AM
MassiveMods

P5 Awesome !
+'s : Loads of bottom end, easy to tune, economical , reliable, Parts easy to get
-'S : Pistons have been known to shatter

Vspec Awesome !
+'S Even power band, easy tune, economical,reliable
-'s Back bearing goes after 1 to 2 gallons, parts hard to find
Old 05-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Om3ga
My Feedback: (7)

MassiveMods has covered everything to a breakdown where there is no point to argue what he had said!.

Words of wisdom there!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Foxy

Thanks for the info guys. Now I really don't know, they both sound so good [sm=confused.gif]

Does it help you all at all if I tell you that my local track is short and technical?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM
mmaise

I have a P5 and I love it. I have around 3 gallons on it and it still has great compression. Tuning is very easy, and I hardly ever touch the needles. I would highly recommend it, these days you can get it for about $260 all the time. Sometimes you can find it even cheaper.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

i have the top & rex p5's they are idenical as far as the specs go. i broke the rex in 2 gals ago and i still cant turn it over by hand. these are stump pullers and great for your type of track. i had a V and hated it really --- it was harder to KEEP a tune and would just die for no reason and i hated not knowing when it was going to happen again? the turbo plugs are not cheap either-$9 at least. i run the reg button on the P5's. they both KEEP a tune and run like apes ( well faster than a ape lol) just get a P5 and i promis you will love it completely!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:04 PM
hord1080

I can't say from experience, but I was in the same position as you. Basically, would you chose an engine that everyone raves about and lasts forever, or one that is awesome but has flaws that many people complain about and it may or may not happen to you(bearing failure, tuning difficulty, turbo plug hassle). They are both top engines for sure, but the p5 is cheaper and the only bad thing i've heard was about the pistons shattering, which I feel is not a common problem. I chose the novarossi 2005 p5, the guy at nitro house told me Nova obviously would make their engines the highest quality cause it has their name on it, and the Rex and Top versions just don't last as long. Whether this is true or not, I don;t know...it is probably slight at best. They just had no 2005 Rex engines yet with the better bearing.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 PM
UF DUB

i havent heard of anyone LATELY having bearing problems wiht the V-spec. every engine has teething problems. but they seem to be all sorted out. i think now it is one of the best engines out there. if u look at big competitions, u are going to see pros using this engine pretty often.

as far as the engine being hard to tune, i just dont see that as being a legitimate argument (so long as there are no air leaks). it is EASY to tune and holds a tune well (OS is especially known for holding tunes well). ill keep u updated on the performance of mine as i keep using it.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Alden

The v-spec is brilliant, zman just keeps complaining bcos he had a problem with his. Ive seen p5s with problems straight out of the box and im sure many other people have and yet no one is complaining about them. My track is being overtaken by v-specs, a guy with a Jp b5 mod is even changing to one because they are just SO good. And none of them have problems, mine has NEVER flamed out in a race and has excellent fuel consumption. I cant understand why you had a problem zman but ive seen people with similar problems with there P5 and I havent come onto forums and started telling everyone not to buy one.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: foxy42

I notice that these two motors are in the same price range...and there have been a lot of people on here raving lately about the P5. I had planned to get a v-spec almost straight away for the Hyper, and I posted a while ago asking for my best engine options for $300 +/- 10%. How come the REX never got mentioned? If there are other engines I should be considering in this price range, please let me know.
The V-Spec is available for $100 less than a p5 so they aint in the same price range.

The P5 is worth raving about, it's getting long in the tooth now but is still one of the best mills.

I run a -Spec in one of my Hypers and it's more than happy.

Rex is another brand name for Nova Rossi and so it's still a P5 no matter who brands it.

Another engine to consider is the Picco P7-R. It has the best of both the above mills and is serving me very well indeed.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Foxy

I've seen the p5 for $275, and I thought the v-spec was about $290?? If there is a big price difference, I'll get the cheaper one, since they both seem to be very good. What's a good price for a P7R? I thought it was out of my price range...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:13 AM
mmaise

On ebay you can get them shipped for around $245, thats a great deal.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Foxy

Time to put some cash on the old paypal then....sounds like it'll be the P7R, just to be different and 'cos that's a fantastic price... <where the hell is the sticking out tongue smiley around here?>
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 AM
MassiveMods

Ive had my problems with the P5 too.. shattered 2 pistons and a few rods. solved the problem with another brand piston.. As far as the V Spec goes you can get replacement bearings from Boca bearings, get the ceramic hybrid bearings.. I have done every mod possible to the P5 and it was a complete mennace !! couldnt run the engine , waaay too much power.. spin all four wheels on road with rubbers down a 80 Meter straight.. Chewed through my whole drive train.. I run it mildly worked now with a poly filled crank, ceramic bearings and a nova race pro head, its a dream !! 13.5 mins to a tank, smokes all the cars on the track,

As far as flame out goes, probably 50 % of flame out has nothig to do with the engine ..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:08 AM
vti-chris

Wait until next weekend J',i'll let you know how the V-spec goes compared to Ws7 II,Collari XS-400 and Hypers.
I'm not an expert,but the fact that i've never seen these engines in my life i can see the differences i think.I won't know about longlife and things but at least i can say for performance.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:11 AM
Foxy

Don't forget to take some piccies! And maybe a vid or two?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 AM
dxbman

i have a novarossi 421b, it's a great engine i run it rich, lots of power. all of my friends have V spec and they are having flam outs every time and they just cannot follow me in the long track.
Both engines are great but it depends on who tunes them and how they are tuned. novarossi runs very hot and it like it i had to richen it and use a smaller carburetor sleeve to reduce the power for the track. The secret is to use low oil fuel and 25% nitro on the novas.
rule of thumb if you are a good engine tuner get a novarossi and take you time while tuning if you go it the sweet spot you'll never change it, if you want no hassle engine get an os V spec but change the front bearing before anything, the front bearing leaks air, so to get a good tune change it and keep both bearing covers on.
Furthermore both engine are picky regarding fuel, sometimes same fuel specs but deferent manufacturer make a deference, this is from experience
Old 05-30-2005, 03:44 AM
Foxy

Thanks for the info...how much does the 421b cost?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 AM
dxbman

290 $ on rc mushroom they the cheapest. the v spec is 270 $
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 AM
q8

you can find a new JP stock for 290 you should with it if thats ur price rang
Old 05-31-2005, 01:55 AM
Foxy

Whats the full part number on the JP? Just searching for JP doesn't seem to be getting me very far...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:17 AM
q8

You can find them at your favorite website (Stores – PDL Racing) for $293
Old 06-01-2005, 01:31 AM
q8

sooooooooooooooooooooooo what did u end up buying
Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Foxy

<insert your own bunch of the worst swear words you can think of here>...buggy hasn't arrived yet! NINE WEEKS!!! Not happy. [:@]

Will prob order a JP or a 421B or a V-spec, or maybe a P7-R...gonna see what people at my track are using, break in the hyper, and then make a decision.

I'll keep you all up to date on the buggy arrival situation and when I make a decision about a motor....thanks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.