Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

hyper tq question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hyper tq question

i just finished building this buggy for my buddy. the assembly went perfectly. we broke in the engine, everything functioned correctly. after the 5th tank, we took her to the track and problems abounded. at first it seemed as though the clutch shoes weren't grabbing, just sliding inside the clutch bell. i replaced the stock shoes with some kyosho composite shoes. we ensured that the front and rear diff wasn't slipping. the only thing left to troubleshoot was the center diff. i dis-assembled, then re-assembled the center diff (everything looked alright). however, it seems as though the center diff gears are not meshing correctly. something is wrong in the center diff, and my question is, is there a way to shim the center diff gears? it seems like the diff case is a couple of millimeters too deep, allowing the gears to separate inside, with no power being distributed front or rear. if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. i feel like a j@ckass after talking my buddy into buying this buggy, and assuring him that it would be be a decent buggy.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:05 PM
everspeed

Default RE: hyper tq question

Sounds like operator error. (lol dude.) Cause if the diff were too deep, then it probably would jam against the posts that it mounts in. If the clutch shoes were not engaging, then the engine would rev like very quickly when you aplied the throttle. Try just simply putting the car together, and without the engine running, spin the drive train by hand. Do this while applying pressure in different ways to find out what is slipping. If nothing is wrong, then it's probably a loose flywheel nut. If the flywheel nut is loose, then replace it, AND the brass cone. Cause slipping can cause the cone to wear a groove in the flywheel, and the groove, or lip, will catch, and not let the nut press the flywheel down on the cone, and produce the same problem again.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:06 PM
everspeed

And oh yeah. Make sure the flywheel isn't bottoming out on the smooth part of the crankshaft, just behind the threads. You may need to add a washer behind the cone to prevent this from happening.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 PM
zimzalahbim

wow, operator error. anybody else got any useful advice?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Super_Dave

Haha dude... everspeed is 100% correct and it is 100% operator error. If it is the center diff gears you would hear a bunch of grinding and if the center diff gears don't mesh correctly than YOU didn't read the instructions right by not using shims. I didn't build a tq but every other center diff I have taken apart has shims pretty much behind every gear in there. If YOU didn't tighten down the flywheel enough on the motor than the crankshaft is going to spin instead of the flywheel spinning with it. If the flywheel doesn't spin than neither do the clutchs because the clutchs are mounted to the flywheel.

P.S. Did you put any oil in the center diff.... or the front and rear for that matter?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
zimzalahbim

i am trying to resist the uge to curse, flame, degrade, insult, or embarrass someone with my post. if YOU didn't build a hyper tq, then YOU don't know anything about the instructions, and the fact that there is nothing to read. anyhow, i am not talking about shimming the small gears, i am talking about the large gears. i should have mentioned that in my earlier post.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:24 AM
dockman2

OK on a nicer note.. if the center diff gears are not meshing up it would more than likely have stripped them out. To check the diff set the buggy on a table, hold the spur gear so the diff cant turn and then try to push the buggy. It shouldnt roll.
I will take a wild guess and say that the out drive set screw on the front or rear diff loosened up. Its very common. The drive shaft will spin but the power isnt going to the diff.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:16 AM
zimzalahbim

thanks, that was the first thing i checked. i had a hyper 7 last year, and that was the first probem i encountered on that buggy. i have never seen anything like this on a buggy.