Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

After-Run Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Savage Unlimited

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-Run Oil??

I am a total newb to Nitro RC so I have no idea about maintenance is it ok if I put in after-run oil, after every session or does it only have to be every now and then(please forgive if this is a stupid qeustion) also how do I maintain this thing, like what do I have too look out for??[sm=confused.gif]

---------------------------------------------
Drive it like you stole it!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 PM
PATchy

Default RE: After-Run Oil??

whats up,

yeah you should use after run oil after every session and nooo it isn't a stupid question[8D]. put some it the carb and take the glow plug off and put some in the crank case too.. make sure your piston is at the bottom though..turn the flywheel over a few times to make sure that the oil evenly spread throughout the inside of the motor and everything is lubricated.

other than the motor, just look out for loose screws and stuff, make sure every screw that threads into metal has thread lock
check for broken parts, take any fuel remaining in the tank out, and just have fun with your car!

patchy
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
EB4man

DON'T start the engine after you put the oil in! That defeats the purpose of the oil. Put the oil in Like Patchy said, put the plug back in and just crank it over a few times without the ingnitor attached to distrubute the oil.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
EB4man

and always try to run your tank out of gas at the end of the day...when your done for the day, you want to burn any nitro that is left in the engine. The alchohol content in the nitro is what causes the corrosion, if its burned out..it prevents corrosion problems. I don't use oil in my engines..they sit for a while at times and I never have a problem.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM
ruffian

I only use afterrun oil when my car is going to sit for longer than a few days between running. Just a few drops through the head, turn the motor over 3-5 times, replace glow plug and you're done. Make sure you clean really good around the glow plug before removing it. No need to get dirt and debris in your motor.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Da Smak
Banned

OK, before you oil it, drain it of fuel, TOTALLY, then try to fire the engine up as normal. Keep trying till it wont fire. Then a few drops of oil in the plug hole will do. As the OS manual says, ARO can deteriorate the o-rings in the carb (bet a lot of you guys didn't know that). So if you do squirt it directly into the carb, ensure it's fully open. Then blast it on the box for 5 secs or give it 10 yanks on the cord.

BDC (Bottom Dead Center) should always be done on engine shut down. This simple check will prolong the engines life.

Air filters need to be cleaned and oiled reguarly, say every hour of running.

Clean as much dirt of the engine as possible as often as possible, this will allow it to run cooler and safer.

Before you ever fiddle with the needles after initial tuning, if it starts to play up, TRY A NEW PLUG FIRST. Many engines are ruined by twidlers, those peole that think they can tune a problem out of an engine. The plugs are the weakest point in these engines and as such tend to fail first. You normally kill a few on break in so don't worry.

GTG now LOST has just started and I want to go watch it.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:34 PM
PATchy

ORIGINAL: EB4man

DON'T start the engine after you put the oil in!
oooh my bad...i'll edit my first post
Old 08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Savage Unlimited

Ok now since you guys are all so helpfull forgive me for taking advantage of this. I am really worried that I have messed up my break-in, The 1st tank I idle'd (Mostly some revving only too keep engine running) then the 2nd and 3rd I ran without any tuning(was and still is very rich with oil and nitro coming out the exhaust) then I started too lean it out the manual said 10 - 20 degree turns tho I think I may have deviated a bit. I am now on my 7th tank just finished running it and I am still running quite rich. Now as far as I underdstand the whole running in thing it's all about your engines temp and well.... my engine hasn't gotten very hot yet I don't have a temp gun but I don't really think I have gotten close too 200 mark I may have on 1 or 2 runs but not sure(it is winter here still and it's quite windy) have I messed up my engine?????[X(]
Btw I am running a GS-Storm RTR plus. I have noticed I am having trouble pulling away and when I start running out of gas the speed really picks up, Should I maybe lean it out quite a bit more or is it a lost cause???

-----------------------------------------------
Old 08-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Savage Unlimited

Btw I am running a GS-Storm RTR plus. I have noticed I am having trouble pulling away and when I start running out of gas the speed really picks up, Should I maybe lean it out quite a bit more or is it a lost cause???

-----------------------------------------------
Nope, it should do that as it leans out. jUST MAKE SURE IT SMOKES ALL THROUGH THE REV RANGE.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Super_Dave

Sorry to say it but you could have messed up that motor. If you run these engines cold then the piston and sleve never expand and run like they would at normal operating temps and if you run it while its cold the piston and sleve fit much tighter giving you more friction and engine wear. When a motors piston and sleve are worn out the motor will run great when its cold but just lose power and cut off when its hot no matter how its tuned because when things heat up and expand you will lose compression in a worn out motor.

For after run oil I open the throttle all the way and take out the glow plug. Put 5 or 6 drops of after run oil in the carb and turn the motor over with your starter box, roto start, or pull cord untill you know its cycled through the motor and I do this after every day of running. After run oil really helps your motor last longer because it keeps the piston and sleve lubricated so you don't dry start the motor and getting metal on metal contact before the lubricants in the fuel can lub up the piston and sleve.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Savage Unlimited

Man that really sucks maybe it has picked up some temp and it just cooled down already byt the time I had touched it the exhaust has gotten really hot a couple of times, that is a good sign right??[] Also I am only on my 7th tank could it have done a lot of damage by now?? Should I start too lean it out? Because I am still running it quite rich like I have mentioned lots of oil coming out the exhaust?
Please don't tell me I have messed up this engine, what does a new sleeve and piston go for??? I knew I should have gone too the track to get some advice, I can't believe I have messed up my engine already!

------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 AM
SManMTB

Just lean it out and make it rev nicely. If it runs nice ----- no problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Savage Unlimited

Well as soon as it leans itself out when the fuel runs out that thing starts to rip so I guess it should be ok I really truly hope so. I don't wanna mess up my 1st engine already, though if it is messed up it's only a matter of replacing the piston and the sleeve right?? How much do those things go for? I am optimistic that it should be ok though. I really hope so that is thanks for all your help guys I am really glad I discovered this forum it has been a lot of help!!!

------------------------------------------------
Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 AM
vti-chris

Since you have run 7 tanks alreaduy through your engine it's time to start making real power out of it.
According to your info i suppose your ambient temp it's at around ~50F.So you don't want your engine to run hotter than ~230F.(Get a temp gun,it's realy difficult to temp it when cold outsite...).
OR you could try and tune it by smoke and sound as most do around here(in the forum).
Start from your HSN,try leaning it until it starts reving well without gurgling.Then STOP.Go on the LSN and lean it until when you come from a WOT high reving run to full stop and let it idle, it will load up and lower rpms after ~15sec.
If you need more info on tuning make a search or just ask around!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Savage Unlimited

I really hope the engine will be ok but like I say when the tank is running on fumes this baby really starts to rip so there is lots of power, I will start leaning it out a.s.a.p and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help I think this should become a technical post for all newbs so if anybody else has questions please post them up here.[sm=idea.gif]

Sorry for asking what seems to be yet another dumb question but what does WOT stand for???
-----------------------------------------
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Korn9898
My Feedback: (2)

"what does WOT mean"

i myself have been wondering also
Old 08-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Savage Unlimited

Well I am just returned from a run with the old Storm and all I can say is WOW that thing ripped in fact it ripped so hard one of my tyres came unglued. And the only tuning I did was to put the HSN flush with the tube. That thing ripped like crazy I am pretty sure the engine for now anyway is quite fine. I can't wait too take it too the track on saturday to have a few jumps with it. Just have too fix that one tyre and then all should be well. I am so stoked now about this storm and can't wait to enter a few races!!!
Thanks once again for all the help guys tho I am still wondering about the meaning of WOT??[sm=confused.gif]

-------------------------------------------
Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM
SManMTB

WOT - Wide Open Throttle

Glad to hear it works. These small engines are not as fragile as some people say they are. Sure they will break and work less than good if they are abused and broken in completely wrong. Just keep it clean and air tight and let them run at 230-260 or so and they will last a long time.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
zilla500

read the side of your nitro bottle it says dont use after run oils......
Old 08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
PATchy

ORIGINAL: zilla500

read the side of your nitro bottle it says dont use after run oils......
don't use after run oils? then tell me how your supposed to maintain and avoid corrosion of your engine?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Korn9898

ive never heard anyone say not to use after run oil , i use hpi's fuel and they highly recommend after run oil after each use
Old 08-15-2005, 12:27 AM
UF DUB

odonnells has lots of rust inhibitors and good oil. just run it dry, and u will never have problems.....
Old 08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
dxm2

I don't use after run oil any more. I've found that the risk of dirt getting into the engine when the plug is removed isn't worth the benefits.
I use O'donnels 20%, run it dry and then move the fly wheel to BDC.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Korn9898

why u take a air compressor and blow everything out of the head then take plug out
Old 08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
EB4man

One thing I like about O'donnells!! the oil it has in it. great stuff, never use after-run oil.... run it dry, BDC on the piston and thats all she wrote till the next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.