Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which Buggy Should I Get

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Buggy Should I Get

There are a lot of buggies out there and i don't know which one to get. Should I get the Tamiya Nitro Force, Tamiya Nitro Thunder, or Tamiya Nitro Blaster, notice I'm staying with Tamiya and nitro.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
schmidty

Default RE: Which Buggy Should I Get

well whether you're bashing or racing, I would stay away from tamiya, if you want to bash the Ofna buggies are OK if you want to race the Hyper 7 is good to start with, I would just stay away from tamiya, just about anything else is OK.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
BAMF90

Why should I stay away from Tamiya?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
crazychris7

IMO the reason id stay away from tamiya is because theres a bog difference between hobby grade and toys... Especially since parts are a PITA to find, and if youre on a budget, theres always like the LX comp and whatnot, but remember.. you get what you pay for.

Chris
Old 08-29-2005, 09:43 PM
BAMF90

I know you get what you pay for, but this will be my first nitro car and I don't want to spend 5 or even 6 hundred dollars right away. Which buggy do you guys think I should get?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Kemo

Tamiya is actually coming back into 1/10th buggy racing with a buggy called the "Desert Gator". Tamiya promised LOTS of hopups and product support for this one. Its definitely gonna change peeps minds about Tamiya... cuz it did for me.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
kx250ryder

Now that I have done it the hard way and upgraded over time, this is what I wish someone WOULD have told me to do up front. Yes it is more expensive up front, but the money I spent buying cheap stuff first, just to upgrad anyway cost more.

-Hyper 7 TQ Sport = 240.00 at ace (car is so upgradable, and so much parts availability, you can upgrade to pro kit off of e-bay as needed)

-JR XS3 Radio = 150.00 ebay (It is the cheapest synthesized radio around. This means you never have a channel conflict again. Also comes with decent servos to get you going, range seems good and its computerized).

-OS RG (p) = 110.00 or 90.00 at tower when they do the $20.00 coupon (great engine, at half the price of engines with similar power)

-Jammin JP-1 or 2 exhaust= 45-60 ebay depending on coating (good pipe for the RG)

-OFNA Chrome top starter box = 80.00 ebay (12 volt motor, room for a dry cell, and has hookups to run a glow starter off of the dry cell)

-Dubro Pit Caddy = 30.00 (comes with 850 cc fuel bottle, jetting screwdriver, glow plug wrench, engine stopper)

-Byrons 30% race fuel 28.00/gallon @ any hobby store (I have tried Blue Thunder, and Odonnel, and found the best results with this fuel for the above engine).

-OS 8 (or A8, I forget) plugs = 5.00 anywhere (I bought tons of these, because I used to go through McCoy MC-8s alot. I have had this same single plug in the engine for months without fouling!!)

-Mugen Aluminum clutch shoes 16.99 ebay (great hook up, long life)

-Mugen 1.0 springs 3.99 ebay

-Ofna clutch bell 15.00 most hobby stores

-12 volt 7ah battery = 20.00 (for starter box)

-36 Energizer AA batteries 13.00 at Home Depot (tons of batteries, good brand, on the cheap for the radio)

-OFNA 6 volt receiver pack 9.00 ebay (don't mess with AA's for your receiver, this will only lead to a low voltage condition and a runaway)

-MRC 969 Super Brain 90.00 on ebay (plug in peak charger that charges 2 batteries at once, can charge/discharge almost ANY battery type used with nitro cars, including 12 volt starter box batteries).

-OFNA PCR temp. gauge 33.00 on ebay (fits in top of engine, so you don't have to worry about lining it up, easy to read display)

-OFNA micro failsafe 17.00 on ebay (Keep your car from going out of control, with loss of reception)

All of this comes in at just under a grand. It seems like alot, but most of this is necessary, not to mention some of the kits themselves cost this much *cough* prospec *cough*. I too thought, that after seeing the ads, that you could get into this hobby for $300-400 dollars. You can, but within a short amount of time, the bargain parts that got you in cheap will fail (I found this out the hard way). Things like stock servos, starter boxes, am radios, etc. will let you down.

I would HIGHLY recommend, resisting the itch to run out and grab an RTR just so you can start two weeks sooner. Save you allowance/pay/salary and you will find SO much more satisfaction with the above. I wish I had done this. Instead I bought used, and basically upgraded to the above stuff over time (I haven't got the hyper yet or the starter box, but those are next). You may not agree with some of the brand selection above, but my point was to select quality components so that you only buy them once, instead of buying junk, getting frustrated, and then buying quality stuff later anyway.

Rant complete.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 AM
human

Man there's nothing wrong with the Tamiya nitros for the fun of it.I've got an OFNA Ultra GT that i club race & a Tamiya TNX for messing around the backyard with that i actually have more FUN with.I got a Tamiya nitro more to see how they compared to their electric stuff & i was pleasantly surprised....anyone that says they're just toys is an idjut.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No they are not, they are stating a fact which at this moment in time is true. I love Tamiya, I started this hobby with tamiya vehicles as did most of us., but that was because at the time, they were just about the only r/c cars worth owning. There are now many and the hobby is huge. Honestly, get a 1/8th buggy, even if it is a cheap RTR, like an OFNA LX or something, it will be SOOOOOOOO much better than those 1/10 scale weeds. I notice nobody mentioned how much bigger and cooler looking a 1/8th is over a 1/10th.

Seriously, unless you're a little kid, skip tamiya and come play with the big boys...the OFNA LX is a great starting buggy with plenty of parts availability...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 AM
breakin2

I have a Tamiya TNX that I wouldn't trade for anything. It runs very well on the track, as well as being fun for just messing around.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

the 1/8 buggies makes the tamiya buggies look puny. the tamiyas don't even have aluminum oil shocks. the turnbuckles look crappy, and over all, i'd much rather have any 1/8 buggy over those tamiya things
Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Kemo

The TNX isnt a buggy. They dont even have a 1/8 buggy. They have OIL shocks for their 1/10ths though
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

Hyper 7 Pro - 350 minus engine
Picco 27 Outlaw - 165
JP-2 - 60
16t vented cb - 20
Futaba S9350's - 220
Spektrum DX3 - 200
Ofna Chrome top starter box - 80 /w battery

Thats my current setup and it seems to be RIPPING!! Little over a G and you have a VERY strong and relaible buggy!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 PM
MBX5T Maniac

dx3 for 200? from ebay i suppose? i can only find it for 250. where'd you get urs from?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rccars411

The TNX isnt a buggy. They dont even have a 1/8 buggy. They have OIL shocks for their 1/10ths though
Errrr, nobody said the TNX was a buggy, or that Tamiyas didn't have oil filled shocks. I pointed out that the tamiyas that he mentioned were 1/10th buggies, I don't even know why he brought up his tamiya monster truck....anyway, then mayhem maniac said they don't have aluminium shocks which they don't.

Also, before someone says that 'Tamiya make great racing machines as well!', I just want to point out that I know that, but we're talking about the difference between the 1/10th tamiya nitro buggies and the significantly bigger, faster, stronger 1/8th variants that we all know and love, which sadly, as pointed out above, Tamiya don't make...
Old 09-14-2005, 05:17 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

dx3 for 200? from ebay i suppose? i can only find it for 250. where'd you get urs from?
If you watch ebay you will see some are auctions and not only buy it now. That is how I got mine!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 AM
fishboy

As a few people have mentioned the Ofna Ultra LX Comp is a decent bashing buggy. I own one and have found it to be very durable. Just make sure you do your research and then get what you feel suits your needs best. Keep in mind the following things.

1) availability of parts
2) plastic pasts vs. aluminum parts
3) What do you intend to do with it
4) how much use will you get out of it

Parts availability and customer support are a huge factor IMO. I'd probably stay away from Ebay for the purchase of the vehicle itself. The reason for this is that there is no customer support and buying from Ebay likely voids the warranty. I have also found that many of the items you see on Ebay are priced higher and have higher shipping than the online hobby shops. Always research the value of items before you bid.

Good luck with whichever buggy you decide to get.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
tonytiger

tamiya lol
dip wad listen to what these guys are tellin ya.....go with the hyper 7rtr around 400 bucks....dont want to spend 5 or 6 hundred right now...mayby you should reconsider this hobby then cuz 5-600 is just the tip of the ice berg......spend it now or spend it later

Tamiya is actually coming back into 1/10th buggy racing with a buggy called the "Desert Gator". Tamiya promised LOTS of hopups and product support for this one. Its definitely gonna change peeps minds about Tamiya... cuz it did for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:34 PM
MBX5T Maniac

some guys spend more than 700 for a kit
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: motopro

tamiya lol
dip wad listen to what these guys are tellin ya.....go with the hyper 7rtr around 400 bucks....dont want to spend 5 or 6 hundred right now...mayby you should reconsider this hobby then cuz 5-600 is just the tip of the ice berg......spend it now or spend it later

Who's the dipwad? If you mean I, then I strongly recommend you reconsider who you are talking about. The Desert Gator is a electric, hell of a racer too. Tamiya is tryin to hop into the 1/10 nitro market, as you can all see. Soon as the desert gator is "perfect", you'll see better nitro tamiya buggies.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 PM
tonytiger

call kevin at the rc hobby shop in michigan he has thios radio for 217 call 810 632 7084
ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Old 09-14-2005, 02:45 PM
tonytiger

well i meant the topic starter but since you answered first and are a huge tamiya fan then i guess you can be the dipwad....also the part about strongly reccomending i reconsider had me rotflmao....mayby youd like to meet me at the bike rack behind the school at 3pm tomorrow....lol....

ORIGINAL: motopro

tamiya lol

Who's the dipwad? If you mean I, then I strongly recommend you reconsider who you are talking about. The Desert Gator is a electric, hell of a racer too. Tamiya is tryin to hop into the 1/10 nitro market, as you can all see. Soon as the desert gator is "perfect", you'll see better nitro tamiya buggies.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM
tonytiger

would an yof you drive a car called a gator let alone a desert gator....gators dont live in the dessert they live in the swamps of florida....lets not forget other such classics from tamiya like the grasshopper the clod buster the pumpkin and the lunch box......who the hell gets to name these the owners niece in the 3rd grade or what
Old 09-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Kemo

Whats with criticism of a company for picking a name? Sure beats letters and numbers: rc10, xxx, mbx, MP and so on. Its called creativity.

Also, for the record, I am NOT a tamiya fan. I still give them a LOT of credit for how they are doing and what they have done in the past.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
connsax

Has anyone stopped to concider what this person is looking for in a rc. Maybe he wants a nice toy. Not a basher, or racer, he is asking in the wrong forem as this is the 1/8 buggy, but none the less not every one is wrapped up in the "mine's bigger than yours" mind set. That being said, you can pick up a nice ofna RTR for around $300, which if you do want a nice toy, that will be more than plenty and it comes with great part support and upgrade possiblities if you decide that you want to get more serious.
Just a thought. You can stay under $400 for every thing you need and have a great buggy to play with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.