Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

What can and can't be taken on an airline?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What can and can't be taken on an airline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:35 PM
turbo900rr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can and can't be taken on an airline?

I just landed a job that involves alot of travel but I want to take my 1/8 buggy with me to check out different tracks on my down time. Anybody else who travels know what can't go?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:58 PM
1CE

Default RE: What can and can't be taken on an airline?

GAS CANT GO WITH YOU
Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 PM

to be on the safe side you should only carry your car and your tools with you as long as your tools are not in your carry on luggage it will be fine lol, buy the fuel at a local hobby shop you should also be carefull with aerosols and other chemicals that can be affected by the change in pressure on the plane + (you never know when an over zealous German Sheppard will sniff out your bag and land you in a lot of trouble)so it's best you don't carry any chemicals at all...
Old 09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
crazychris7

gotta pull the gas tank and either throw a NIB tank in with your clothes or buy one when you get where youre going, no fuel, new fuel bottle, fresh fuel line and thoroughly clean your motor/pipe with after run oil or equivelent because if they smell and remains of fuel, you have to ship it home or give it to a lil kid before you leave. I've flown all over and carried my truck or buggy with me and rebuilt it on the plane and whatnot just for something to do... Just make sure its all cleaned up and no traces of fuel or youre screwed... once i went on the plane with a new tank and lines since there was no smell... just be nice to the scanner guys, that always helps

Chris
Old 09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

When I went to Philippines and bring two of my cars, found that I can't take or bring the gas, and batteries, batteries might leak due to changing pressure in the cabin. It is good if you have a pull start type engine so only thing need to get is batt. for your remote and igniter that equip with std batteries. Better to check the airline you were taking. Leak on batteries might coz explosion specialy in the cabin............
Also remove the gas out from the car tank..............
Old 09-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Airlines may not allow Batts on board because of leakage, BUT not because they may explode, ITIS BECAUSE of the corrosive properties of the chemicals within the batteries. Should the acid or alkaline from a battery hit the Aluminium frame of the aircraft then that aircraft is out of action for at least 2 days whist the affected components are X-Rayed to ensure the damage is not extensive. This is something that some airlines are not willing to stump up the bill for, so should your batts cause all this you will be looking at a BILL of at least $25,000/day on the ground. BTW the last time one of our aircraft suffered from a batt acid leak it was on the ground for 3 weeks whilst all components affected where replaced at a total cost of just under $1,000,000. So new lines, tank and batts at the other end will always work out cheaper.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Engrose

Are you not allowed to take normal rechargeable batteries with you on an airplane?
How about all those batteries that are in normal stuff like camera's and electric shavers?
Or is it just in the cabin?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Most airlines will let you take them on after inspecting them. Anyway who takes old dead leaky batts on holiday with them?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Titaniumracingtiger

i've taken my Electric Buggy, Batteries, and Charger on Delta and Jetblue. They just examined everything and said it was fine.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:08 AM
jkulhanek

I'd imagine any fuel, after run, filter oil, cleaning spray or any other aerosol/flammable would need to be left behind or shipped via ground prior to departure.

Replacing lines and tank is almost overkill, perhaps remove, clean, and place in a tupperware container instead.

I haven't taken my R/C via plane, but I did take it on a ferry to travel interstate...some jube wanted to take my nitro fuel/after run/filter oil, but the other security dude had "some" idea of the value of all these products and let me keep it...