Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Any gain from titanium cvd's? Less rotating??

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Any gain from titanium cvd's? Less rotating??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any gain from titanium cvd's? Less rotating??

I was wondering if a full set of titanium cvd's would be stronger and possibly help me run a lil faster from the reduced weight?

Ideas? Opinions? [:-]
Old 10-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Any gain from titanium cvd's? Less rotating??

I mentioned (and quoted atomic weights) of various materials once before, but can't remember where now. Basically, the important thing about Ti, is that it is NOT lighter than aluminium, and is only fractionally lighter than steel. The advantage is strength. You can increase strenght without changing weight by adding Ti in place of aluminium. Comparing 2 bars of equal strength, one of Al and one of Ti, you will notice that the Ti bar will be a LOT thinner for the same strength, giving the illusion that the material is lighter, when simply less material is being used. Hope that makes sense. So, if the Ti is of similar thickness to the aluminium or steel, then you will get great strength benefit, but compared to Al you will be INCREASING the rotating mass quite dramatically, compared to steel, you'll probably reduce it fractionally (certainly not enough to justify the cost, unless you want the strength benefits as well)...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Haulin bass

Titanium is also soft and wears easily on metal to metal contact
Old 10-18-2005, 01:11 PM
rwong21

ORIGINAL: Haulin bass

Titanium is also soft and wears easily on metal to metal contact
It's true, what is the reason to use titanium part.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Super_Dave

Titanium is soft? I always thought of it as one of the hardest and strongest metals there are. Oh well.... the only difference in handling you'll notice is going from CVDs to universal shafts. The universals have more direct power but even than its bairly noticable.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Little Stampy

Titanium is soft? I always thought of it as one of the hardest and strongest metals there are. Oh well.... the only difference in handling you'll notice is going from CVDs to universal shafts. The universals have more direct power but even than its bairly noticable.
Titanium is 'soft' but strong. That's why you see bicycle frames made in titanium. They have some flex contrary to aluminium which is very stiff.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:03 PM
plaidfish

Ti has a "memory" and will snap back to shape from severe bends where steel and aluminum will stay bent...Use Ti in places of high stress where flex is needed...Chassis, Braces (for rougher tracks), wheel hubs to plastic rims, shock Towers, A-arms....parts like that but a universal IMO would not be as good since you can flex it more than aluminum or steel....well most steel anyway......there's more to making these parts than what materials they are made out of....you can use 10 different types of the same metal and have 10 different parts that all wear and react different.......company A might make a set of Ti Universals that actually work well and have the correct hardness to reduce stress but not be too brittle, where company B would take the design from A and use inferior Ti....they can both call it Ti because it is, but Company B's product is crap......
Old 10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Titanium is 'soft' but strong. That's why you see bicycle frames made in titanium. They have some flex contrary to aluminium which is very stiff.
Titanium are used in bicycle frames because of the weight/strenght relationship. You want the bicycle frames to be as stiff as possible with as low a weight as can be obtained. You certainly don't want any flex if it can be avoided.

Titanium are normally an alloy treated to obtain specific characteristics in an element. Normally you want a high yield strength which means that since the atomic structure is elastic when the element is exposed to a force lower than the yield strength and plastic above it the element will once not exposed to the force anymore return to its original shape if the force wasn't higher than the yield strength.

So if the titanium alloy has a higher yield strength than the aluminium alloy, it doesn't "flex" more than the aluminium if they are both exposed to the same forces, but it has the ability to return to its original shape from forces that would leave the aluminium out of shape.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
plaidfish

ORIGINAL: Engrose

Titanium are used in bicycle frames because of the weight/strenght relationship. You want the bicycle frames to be as stiff as possible with as low a weight as can be obtained. You certainly don't want any flex if it can be avoided.

Titanium are normally an alloy treated to obtain specific characteristics in an element. Normally you want a high yield strength which means that since the atomic structure is elastic when the element is exposed to a force lower than the yield strength and plastic above it the element will once not exposed to the force anymore return to its original shape if the force wasn't higher than the yield strength.

So if the titanium alloy has a higher yield strength than the aluminium alloy, it doesn't "flex" more than the aluminium if they are both exposed to the same forces, but it has the ability to return to its original shape from forces that would leave the aluminium out of shape.
Depends on the Type of Ti used......I raced road bikes and had horrible time trying to get used to Titanium....it flexed almost as much as my columbus slx steel frames did and that was the first Litespeed Ultimate w/ the teardrop downtube.....the shape was suposed to be stiffer but the alloy was way softer......I hate frame flex.....I'd rather ride a super stiff aluminum frame w/ CF forks / bars / seatpost.....but Ti does flex in general....I happen to be heavier than most racers were so they really didn't design it for 200lb+ racers to use....for me it was riding a wet noodle......it's the memory of it's shape and weight that make it good for things like bike frames and the stuff I mentioned earlier.....
Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Engrose

As a biker I can say it is only partly true. You need stiffness to transfer power but some people prefer a titanium frame for better ride comfort. An all Alu roadbike can be bone crushingly rough and hard to ride. Titanium has some flex which gives better comfort. Having a titanium frame does not mean the bike has so much flex you loose power transfer. It's all down to the frame design.
Try it and you'll see what I mean.