Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

yet another newbie thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
unclezesta
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another newbie thread!

i was thinking about getting a 1/8 buggy and was wondering about any suggestions. i already have a stadium truck so i dont need anything super newbish. i was thinking about the ravager mainly but possibly the ultra gt lx. please keep suggestions under or close to $400.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Aerobirdbrain

Default RE: yet another newbie thread!

Those are pretty good choices from Ofna; Hot Bodies has their Lightning 2 RTR for about $445 or so depending on where you go to get one. If you plan to do some racing in spring, this car is real easy to set up for just about any track.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
kx250ryder

It depends on what you already have. If you are determined to keep your stadium truck running, and won't strip parts from it, it will be extremely difficult to get a good setup for under $400.00.

An RTR is a kit, that was downgraded to save costs, and the cheapest possible parts have been substituted to make it run. But as it is, in the box, it won't run. You still need fuel, and batteries just to start it. You will also need a temperature gauge to be able to tune it. Also, to keep your sanity, I would highly suggest getting a starter box immediately, as a pullstart is a nightmare. Just try a search for one-way bearings, you will see how many threads are dedicated to these crucial pull-start pieces failing on a regular basis. A 6v receiver pack is virtually a necessity to ensure proper servo operation, and to get decent runtimes out of your car. Plus, the 4 AA holders that come with RTRs (instead of the 6volt pack) are prone to melting down at the connectors. Also, the steering servo of an RTR should be replaced as soon as possible. These are typically bargain servos, that have enough trouble in a 3lb 1/10th scale vehicle, let alone a 8lb 1/8th scale buggy.

Basically, for either of the RTRs you mentioned I would suggest purchasing the following:
- fuel 20-30% nitro (20.00-30.00)
- 6 volt receiver pack (10.00-20.00)
- decent battery charger that can peak charge ni-mh cells (30.00-100.00)
- steering servo w/ at least 100oz of torque and under .15 sec reaction (40.00-100.00)
- 12 volt starter box (50.00-100.00)
- battery for said box (depending on which charger you get, some can peak charge these large gell cell batteries 20.00)
- failsafe (15.00-25.00)
- 2400 mah re-chargable AAs for transmitter (20.00 otherwise you will spend much more in Energizers over time)
- extra glow plugs (5.00)
- fuel filter (5.00-10.00)
- pre filters for air filter (5.00-10.00 every little bit of protection helps)
- after run oil (5.00)
- foam filter oil (5.00-10.00)
- blue compound thread locker (3.00)
- shock rebuild kit (10.00-20.00 might as well, they blow out often)
- diff rebuild kit (10.00-20.00 diff seals blow frequently)
- shock oil 30, 35, 40, 45 wt (5.00 ea)
- diff oil, 1000, 3000, 5000, 7000 wt. (5.00 ea)

For the last two items, you don't need to buy all combinations listed. I would suggest asking around for a decent baseline setup. But some fluid is required because RTRs ship with shock oil that is not typically silicone based and degrades quickly (will make your car bouncy, and poor handling. Also, there is no silicone in the diffs typically, just some grease. Find a good diff setup and order those fluids as well so that your driveline can put power to the ground properly.

These aren't recommendations for racers only. This is just what you will need to keep your car properly maintained. This does not include any purchases for major replacement parts from crash damage. I made the list to show you how inaccurate the term "Ready To Run" is. Its a gimmick companies use to lure in new people to the hobby. So many people buy these, and unless really committed to the hobby, end up letting them sit in the garage due to high maintenance cost. There really isn't a cheap way into 1/8th scale buggies. I am in no way trying to scare you off, as they are really fun cars, I am just trying to show the true cost behind this type of "toy".
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM
unclezesta

um, thanks but im not that big of a newbie. i just wanted suggestions for buggies. and a lot of stuff on that list you dont really need.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
kx250ryder

Such as??
Old 12-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Motohead24

try rdlogics.com and check out the sho buggy.i got one,awesome car for the money.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
unclezesta

well, yes it is probably preferable to have a lot of that stuff but you CAN tune without a temp gage, use dry cells, and just use the fluids and oils that cars come with to name just a few things. i dont want to start arguing about what you need because a lot of that is preferance and what you can afford isnt it. sure, i would like to have a lot of that, but i lack the money. i do fine without, at least for my stadium truck. i just bash so im probably not as serious as a lot of people but all im saying is you can still have fun with this stuff while being a LITTLE thrifty.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Haulin bass

A buggies allot diffrent than a 1/10thGT, its twice the weight so it needs twice the servo to turn it, therefore the servo will drain the pack twice as quick, add to the fact that the 4 cell holders and there cells drop off in voltage quite quickly(less servo power(a crash or runaway isnt to far off).
As said before 1/8th scale buggies are expensive no two ways about it, Either you buy smart and buy once, or you buy a rtr and buy twice.

Kx one thing that is missing from your list is a few spare sets of clutch bell bearings, I go through a set at least every half gallon.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:36 PM
unclezesta

yeah, i already said i know its good to have that stuff, but the cars are still useable without some. oh, one other thing i remembered was starter. i prefer the pull start to electric (again preferances). i understand im going to be spending more replacing and maintaining a 1/8 buggy. thanks for all the advice. if i underspend and end up paying for it, that will just be proof you guys were looking out for me. thanks.

a big thanks for the sho tip. i read the rcu review and im going to be considering it seriously along with the ofnas i mentioned. that was the kind of tip i was looking for. any others you guys can think of would be great.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM
kx250ryder

ORIGINAL: Haulin bass

A buggies allot diffrent than a 1/10thGT, its twice the weight so it needs twice the servo to turn it, therefore the servo will drain the pack twice as quick, add to the fact that the 4 cell holders and there cells drop off in voltage quite quickly(less servo power(a crash or runaway isnt to far off).
As said before 1/8th scale buggies are expensive no two ways about it, Either you buy smart and buy once, or you buy a rtr and buy twice.

Kx one thing that is missing from your list is a few spare sets of clutch bell bearings, I go through a set at least every half gallon.
Well said. I hear alot of people saying that they go through clutch bell bearings frequently. I have only used a total of two sets. One was a used set that came with my car, and the other is the set I am currently on, that came with my OFNA vented clutch bell from several months back.

ORIGINAL: unclezesta
well, yes it is probably preferable to have a lot of that stuff but you CAN tune without a temp gage, use dry cells, and just use the fluids and oils that cars come with to name just a few things. i dont want to start arguing about what you need because a lot of that is preferance and what you can afford isnt it. sure, i would like to have a lot of that, but i lack the money. i do fine without, at least for my stadium truck. i just bash so im probably not as serious as a lot of people but all im saying is you can still have fun with this stuff while being a LITTLE thrifty.
Unclezesta, while it is true that you can make an RTR run (almost) on what they give you, the fact is, if you are a newb, and you don't know how to tune (which you do since your st was gas and not electric, as I first thought) you will likely grenade an engine without a temp. gauge. A good charger will let you drive longer, and prevent poorly charged cells from causing a runaway. I can go on and on. I didn't make that list just to act arrogant and keep you away from these buggies. Each and every item on that list has its purpose. Its those types of stumbles early on that make new people not stick around this hobby long enough. Corporate marketing can make people think they are getting a steal at XXX.XX dollars, but many will feel cheated once they see the true cost, not too far down the road.

For anyone new to nitro (I realize you are not), there are enough issues, why add more to it? Alot of it is, that people coming in to this are used to driving off the department store shelf type cars, where you play and then put it away. Even for me (a basher who only races with friends, not for money or trophies) there is enough maintenance involved in these cars to make them fit better under the word "job" than "toy". Re-building diffs, shocks, clutches, replacing bearings, air filters, tires, and the like (not including what breaks) are all aspects that many may not be used to. I write alot of posts like this with complete setups. None of them are the cheapest (or the most expensive), but all of them are what I would want people to tell me if I was new and was starting without any background with real, scratch built $100.00+ cars.

I don't want to argue either, but I didn't have any money when I bought my buggy just like you. I learned, its better to wait until you have money, rather than run the RTR equipment. If I could rewind time, I would have not bought anything at all, until I could afford a proper setup. I spent the first few months hating my car, and never driving it. If I didn't have such a stubborn personality, I would have sold that thing long ago. Given, I bought used, so I had an additional set of annoyances to deal with, but overall, the items I listed above are still crucial to getting the satisfaction out of this hobby for your investment. The items above help to make sure you are driving as much as possible, and not waiting for a replacement in the mail for a cheap rtr part.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
unclezesta

ok. i guess i was a little shocked by the size of your list, but i understand now. i have stock piled extra parts too, but i bought them after i first needed replacements, so i didnt really realize that i do the same thing. yeah, that electric vs. nitro clarification explains a bit. i actually have a nitro rustler (TOUGH engine to tune compared to my friends os and super tiger s) so i know the importance of proper tuning and maintenance. i sort of prefer to spread out my spending actually. i would by a rtr and enough to get it moving, then later get a rechargable pack, then a better steering servo, then whatever starter i wanted or whatever, as oposed to everything at once. its probably better to buy everything at once to avoid extra spending on whatever replacement parts you need because of battery run-outs and whatever, now that i think about it. thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM
kx250ryder

Mesa, AZ eh? Have you been to Hobby Action yet? Its [link=http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=606+W.+Southern+Avenue&city=tempe&state=az&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map]here[/link]. They have a full shop and off-road 1/8th buggy track (as well as carpet indoor track). PM J-Bone, I think he helped organize a points series that stops there in the next couple weeks. I am going to start racing there after New Year's, but my buggy is staying crated up until then so it can last long enough to go duning with me over the holiday. Anyway, they stock OFNA, Sportwerks, Mugen, etc. Decent prices too.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
unclezesta

thanks man, i can be there in like 30 minutes if the highway 60 trafic allows. pm me your address so i can find you on mapquest and ill do the same for you if you want.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 PM
unclezesta

oh, and hey, do they have a website i could check out?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 PM
kx250ryder

www.hobbyaction.com is the site. I don't need any more stalkers than I already have, so you'll have to settle for my major crossroads, check you inbox (kidding).
Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 PM
unclezesta

haha, you think you can deal with the stalkers yourself? if you need some help getting rid of someone i know this guy.....(COMPLEATLY KIDDING, I DONT KNOW THE GUY!)

thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Wide Open

hey mike, guess what? my uncle bought me the OS .18 CV-RX for christmas! MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [>:] and my other gift? an electric razor.[&o]
Old 01-07-2006, 08:25 PM
unclezesta

i hate the lucky kids.....[sm=punching.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

smileys are fun!