Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

**** TUNING GUIDE **** The Alex way.

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

**** TUNING GUIDE **** The Alex way.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Nathan9492

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **** TUNING GUIDE **** The Alex way.

ORIGINAL: sh0wtime

i'd forgotten about this thread & the fun we used to have on here

ORIGINAL: Nathan9492

Well.
Ive tried Alex's (Da Smak's) Way of tuning, So i set my LSN first, then proceded to the HSN, I got it running good. I did needa do a tiny turn back on the LSN since it was racing a little bit.
so what you're saying there is you had to re adjust your LSN after adjusting the HSN because adjusting the HSN had directly affected its setting.
therefore in order to get your engine set perfectly you adjusted HSN then LSN

thanks for backing up the points raised earlier

Yes, BUt i just found this method easier, as it would idle, while trying to adjust the HSN.
If you dont like the tuning method, Why keep on whinging?, There is soooooo many different methods of tuning, and running in that theres just no point.
Hell, I know a guy that Idles his engines through 7 tanks, and they go really strong, i also know of a guy that leans them right out straight from the factory and Runs them HARD during break in.There still going strong aswell.
Im in now way having a go at ya, Just trynna get a point a cross that there is many ways of tuning a nitro, And really, IF you can get your car to run really good, with a nice trail of smoke, no hesitations from bottom to top, then ur tuning method worked, FOr me this tuning method did just that, IN a easier way then i used to do it.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
hrdcoreglf

If you read the post properly it is a book and dvd. I've been looking but I can't seem to find the book or dvd you have had published. Which is endorsed by Radio Control Car Action magazine, Radio Control Nitro, RCX, Tinity, AE, Traxxas. I'm not saying your wrong, I am simply saying you can read the book and watch the dvd and leave this forum more informed than when you camein. You just aren't following industry / racing standards. You have to be willing to learn. The best teacher knows they can always learn more.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
svo
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know wether to tune my engine, or just fight. hehe
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
fazznick

Is there a way to tell if the motor is completely broken in? I busted a con rod in my last engine and really don't know why. I want to avoid this on my new one. I have about 10 tanks through it now and it runs and starts great but I want this one to last. It is a hyper .21 8 port race. When I turn the flywheel without the glow plug in it stops at the top. Is this normal?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Nathan9492

Hi Fazz.
YEs that is totally normal For the piston to stop at the top of the sleeve.
Thats a good sign that there is compression and Pinch.
IF there was none there, then you have lostt compression, Basically means ur engine is shot.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 AM
*FULL-REVS*

how about if ya turn the fly wheel over by hand and at TDC it has a rock (like movement in the fly wheel) without the piston moving? im thinking a flogged out con rod????
Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Nathan9492

Your flywheel maybe a bit loose?
Check that its tight, before jumping to the conclusion that u have done something internally
Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: *FULL-REVS*

how about if ya turn the fly wheel over by hand and at TDC it has a rock (like movement in the fly wheel) without the piston moving? im thinking a flogged out con rod????
More likely that the big or little end bushes are shot or you have dodgy bearings, if the flywheel was loose then the crank would stop and just the flywheel would spin.

But I have 2 engines that have a lumpy feelat TDC and they still run fine. It's more noticable on short stroke engines too btw.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
*FULL-REVS*

yeah it runs fine when cold but when it gets warn it develops a low down bog.....(without adjusting anything) its starting to do my head in.....tried everything....fuel tank and lines, plug, retuning, bearings are spanking new as is piston and sleve.... broken in well and performed well for a short time then started playing up.... have stripped and sealed carb,back plate etc....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
fazznick

thanks nathan
Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Nathan9492

No problems
Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: *FULL-REVS*

yeah it runs fine when cold but when it gets warn it develops a low down bog.....(without adjusting anything) its starting to do my head in.....tried everything....fuel tank and lines, plug, retuning, bearings are spanking new as is piston and sleve.... broken in well and performed well for a short time then started playing up.... have stripped and sealed carb,back plate etc....
Those are classic air leak symptoms, but also this could just be a plug type prob, you've tried everything but a hotter plug by the sound of it.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:31 PM
autoconnection

Do you have to turn your engine off when breaking in? i ran it richer than normal, then started leaning it out at about the 5th tank. but never turned my engine off during gas refills.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
jonnymac

It is adviseable depending on the method you use.
I always use the heat cycling method which requires stopping the engine and cooling it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 PM
TIG-1

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

What i wrote was the method or didnt you read my post you moron ... and you are contradicting yourself you state "5 tanks on the box at idle " now your saying its just to mate the liner and piston.. what you should do is make a video of the piston and liner mating and connecting a boost bottle to your head .
[&:]
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM
TIG-1

ORIGINAL: glypo

Looks to me like someone is getting a little defensive because they are wrong, and have trouble admiting it.

Slodsm may not be the world champs mechanic, but I know if I was the world champion I'd at least give my engine to the guy who starts tuning with the right needle first.
l[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]