Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

what's up with "OS" engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
p0u1burke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's up with "OS" engines

yea i want to know.
are os engines any good, i got one and itt run's with lots of problems, well just overheating, but when you pay so much money should it overheat.

tell me what you think of OS engines!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:37 PM
turnell

Default RE: what's up with "OS" engines

Haven't had an awful lot of experience with them but iv heard nothing good things about them.

..........TURNELL..........
Old 02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
RockyMtnRevo

I have heard and seen good and bad.... In the past their engines were the easiest to tune and would run forever. Now their so called high performance line of engines (OS 18TM, 18TZ, 21V-Spec, OS 30VG) seem to all have an issue... Some say it's the bearing not being set in correct and on the 18's it was just a lack of testing by OS. Basically in all of these engines people experience early engine failure, normally due to the con rod rubbing on the back plate and getting metal shavings inside it's self. Personally for $300 I would not buy an OS right now... go for a Novarossi or an RB for that price.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
p0u1burke

welll i got a OS rg 21. i would not say it's bad, just imposible to have runing properly all the time.
a lot of my problems might be caused by runing at top rpm for long periods at a time, is it bad to run the engine at high RPM for a long time?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: p0u1burke

welll i got a OS rg 21. i would not say it's bad, just imposible to have runing properly all the time.
a lot of my problems might be caused by runing at top rpm for long periods at a time, is it bad to run the engine at high RPM for a long time?
No, no problem.
I've got two RGs and they've been great. Very reliable and easy to tune and I've run the snot out of them.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 PM
XrayRacer

Seal the exhaust adapter and backplate and watch for the carb retainer loosening up. I have had problems with these areas on my RG but now it holds a tune prefectly!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:07 PM
XrayRacer

What's a "long time"?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 AM
p0u1burke

yea you say that, but have they been run at the right temputers, and what about the secound question as you got two of them?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 AM
SManMTB

What do you mean the right temperatures? It's been running at 240 - 260 or so. I've got more than 5 gallons through each of them. One is now completely worn out and the other is still runing.

They have been performing flawlessly. I have nothing but good things to say about the RG.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:58 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

To make good power with my RG, I run it 260F-280F all day long. You can run them down at 250F with ok results. I've got over 5 gallons on it and it still seems to be running just fine.
Yes, long periods of "wide open throttle" will raise temps more than normal track driving.

I don’t tune by temps. If it's running with good power, smoke is coming out the engine and it's not leaning out, then it's probably good! I use temps as a final check to make sure it's not over 300F.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 PM
p0u1burke

well like for over 7 secounds at a time.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
SManMTB

well like for over 7 secounds at a time.
Not following your post here....
7 secs of what?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:09 PM
minimus

i think he means 7 secs of full throttle.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM
cam3r0n

My OS .30Vg seems to be very reliable, I set it once after break in and it starts on the button every time and goes like the clappers.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: cam3r0n

My OS .30Vg seems to be very reliable, I set it once after break in and it starts on the button every time and goes like the clappers.
How much fuel have you run through it so far?

I have to agree with others that OS where one of the most reliable easy to tune engines made. But in the last few years there concern seems now more on making money then making a reliable product. There are some manufacturing process on some of there new engines that are questionable as well as there have been many bearing issues. Yes before I paid for a $250 to $300 OS I would get other brand engines.

Now as far as the RG 99.9% of what I have heard has been good. I have a RG and like it a lot not a real fast top end but great low end and very reliable. I do not run it much but do keep it as back up.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
losilover

my friend has a vspec, and those things are sweet...he got 12 minutes run time on one tank while he was breakin' it in the other day. it's an EBmods Vsepc, those things are like the fastest engine i've ever seen..ba ba ba baaaaaaaa
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
46u

Just make sure he checks the crank bearings and rod at no more then 3 gallons best to check them every gallon! They are fast. I just help my race partner put bearings in his last night. All so if he replace them get the ceramic and not the $80 stock replacement.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
losilover

he knows, this is his 3rd vspec. all of the ones he's had ran good for a long time.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
john0087
My Feedback: (4)

I haven't ran the OS big blocks, but I am running a .12TG in my GT2. Seems like you have to be very precise with the carb setting, but once you find the sweetspot, they do hold a tune really well and go like stink.

Also, it does seem like they run warm, but I am used to the .21's, so maybe the smaller motors run warmer.

All in all, I am very impressed with the OS and I may try a VSPEC for my next 1/8 motor.

John
Old 05-26-2007, 02:12 AM
mozzzy_2000

i think he means 7 secs of full throttle.
Theorectically you should not keep an engine on WOT for more than 10 secs at a time. This why people bashing engines probably go through engines faster than racers do, purely because bashers drive around in wot almost constantly.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:51 AM
bentgear

10 seconds is a long time. I don't think I have anything that I could run in a straight line away from me for 10 seconds at WOT and comfortably see

the one thing that OS has been known for over the years is the easy tuneability......... wide needle settings. As they have tried to go for higher performance that feature has gone away somewhat. The 21 RG is very needle friendly. If it's not a user tuning induced problem then there is something wrong with the engine. One thing to remember, if you are going to be running WOT all the time, set the needles slightly rich. Don't go for that thin edge, your engine will thank you for it.

Ed M.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
cam3r0n

ORIGINAL: 46u

How much fuel have you run through it so far?

I have to agree with others that OS where one of the most reliable easy to tune engines made. But in the last few years there concern seems now more on making money then making a reliable product. There are some manufacturing process on some of there new engines that are questionable as well as there have been many bearing issues. Yes before I paid for a $250 to $300 OS I would get other brand engines.

Now as far as the RG 99.9% of what I have heard has been good. I have a RG and like it a lot not a real fast top end but great low end and very reliable. I do not run it much but do keep it as back up.
I have had 5 or 6 gallons through it (my .30VG) now and the pinch has gone, it no longer idles!! Perhaps it's not that great after all! I am tempted to have it repinched, but I don't know if it's worth restoring.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Osirisf16

***THREAD REVIVED***

Hey man, you know, all that stuff you read in that thread is not exist anymore. Why revive such a thread. OS engines are one of the TOPest engine companys nowadays.

PS (for some other guys): Yeah baby, i saw the date this time!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Calin666

I have hadan OS .21VG for about a month now and absolutley love the thing. I heard some other guy in another thread say that th VG has a problem with the sleeve. If so, I have no Idea what he is taling about.
I know it is no where near the best OS engine, but it icks ass all over the last three motors I had (two Axial .28's and an Axial .28RR) they all blew up after about two months, even the .28RR.
If I was going to spend $300 on a motor, I think I might buy the V-Spec, but I would do a lot of research anyway.
If I am going to spend that kind of money on an engine, I want to get a good one.
So far, OS has impressed me big time.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Jamie22

ORIGINAL: Calin666

I have hadan OS .21VG for about a month now and absolutley love the thing. I heard some other guy in another thread say that th VG has a problem with the sleeve. If so, I have no Idea what he is taling about.
I know it is no where near the best OS engine, but it icks ass all over the last three motors I had (two Axial .28's and an Axial .28RR) they all blew up after about two months, even the .28RR.
If I was going to spend $300 on a motor, I think I might buy the V-Spec, but I would do a lot of research anyway.
If I am going to spend that kind of money on an engine, I want to get a good one.
So far, OS has impressed me big time.
Yea the vg sleeve isnt the greastest to say the least. But there a cheap motor to buy and to rebuild