Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

stripped cooling head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Dominic616

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped cooling head?

I am wondering if there is any way to fix my cooling head without having to purchase a new one. My glo plugs twist right out, and I am pretty sure that I over tightned one. Is there any way to "un-strip" my head? Please help..

Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Super_Dave

Default RE: stripped cooling head?

No possible way that I know of. There is one way that they use on real cars but I never found it for RC. You drill the hole bigger then tap it and thread in a reverse threaded sleeve (with epoxy on it so it wont come out) then it will replace the threads that used to be in the cylinder head for the glow plug. I highly doubt they make it for RC cars so you need to buy a new cylinder head.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 PM
dicko

there are ways of fixing it, but it's cheaper to buy a new head. i wouldn't mess with it, clean it up & use it as a paper weight.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 PM
badSN95

The thing super_dave is refering to is a Helicoil. I don't think it would work because it might not seal properly. The only other way would be to weld it shut and redrill/tap it. That would probably cost more then a new head(unless you know a welder/machinest.)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 AM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure which engine you have but the part you stripped out is called the under head, its a small alloy cylinder with the threaded center part for the glow plug. It is a separate part from the actual cooling head and is fairly inexpensive.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: joes75

Not sure which engine you have but the part you stripped out is called the under head, its a small alloy cylinder with the threaded center part for the glow plug. It is a separate part from the actual cooling head and is fairly inexpensive.
That depends on what engine you have. A high-end mill usually have a separate head button like you describe. The OS RG for example doesn't have one.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Dominic616

I have a hyper 8 port .21/// Ill check..
Old 03-01-2006, 01:42 AM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dominic616

I have a hyper 8 port .21/// Ill check..

I dont think this engine has a sepearte underhead, so I guess you gotta bite the bullet and get a whole new head.[]
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM
W.P Racing
My Feedback: (1)

You actually stripped the button head not the cooling head.All button head are removable from the cooling head. But i did once had a vz-b button head that seems to be Welded on to the cooling head. lol

Best bet is to get a new button head. There is no succesful method to re-thread a button head as glow plugs only comes in one size. it ends up better to buy a new button head.

On an emergency i once used super glue and gasket sealant that was good for another hour on the track then the button head had to be dicthed for a newer one .
Old 03-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Dominic616

Thanks... I found the button head for 10.99 on tower.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
DaJumpMasta

actually, some heads are one piece and some are two piece ( heatsink and button ). All depends on the motor.