Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Official Hyper 8 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
harrier
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hyper 8 Thread

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: harrier

Thanks 46. I just ordered some extra inner and outer filters to rotate between cleanings, along with some Duratrax filter oil.

Steve
Duratrax filter oil I have used and is good oil but if you get by a motorcycle shop you can get it there MUCH cheaper. Yes I keep spare filters so when at the track I can replace them with out having to clean them. Then I clean them when I get home. I use to not have spare inner filters as they never really go dirty till the first round of the Georgia Championship series the outer filter was not on good and the inner go dirty. The only thing I had to clean it with was fuel and that is when I found out they would swell up a little. I let it dry out and it was fine. Now I have spare inner and outer. Where are you getting your parts? Here is a very good place to deal with and they are in North Carolina! Only takes me about 2 to 3 days to get parts after I place my order not counting weekends. They all so have free shipping on anything over $100 and have capons like Tower Hobbies. There parts are cheaper then Towers and are about the same as A Main Hobbies but are MUCH closer. Great service!!!!
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/default.asp
Ya I usually get it from Tower. Just checked CarolinaRC and they are cheaper. Dang, just placed a $100+ order with Tower too. Well I got the link for next time. Thanks again. BTW, My inner (blue) filter had a large amount of caked on Ga clay on the top part of the filter. Rest of the inner filter was clean. The outer was EXTREMELY dirty. I used Mineral Spirits on it last night and then followed up with dishwashing soap. It's white again. I'll clean the inner one too to get that top section clean. Any idea why it would have built up so much just in that spot?

Steve

Old 03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Did you have the outside filter oiled? I clean or if at the track over night replace my filter at least after each day of running at the track. If I am in the yard, which is rare, being grass I might only clean the outer. A lot has to do with where you are running. Better to over clean the filters then get dirt in the engine! [X(]
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Delgado

How can you measure camber angle without setup board? Something like: if camber link measures this, then camber angle is that.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 PM
adz06

got my novarossi p5 back today compression is like new i cnt turn it over by hand well i fired it up and put on thottle return spring etc worked a treat ran fine styill seems to rev bit high on idle but it doesnt move or jump foward at all. i actually had the buggy wheeling from standing start which was a first so i think ill change the diff oil in the front as the rear and center seem fine just needa use heavier in the front. i do notice a difference between running a race engine and other engines the race engines drink the fuel rather quick.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Delgado

How can you measure camber angle without setup board? Something like: if camber link measures this, then camber angle is that.
Thanks.
Check these out.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2013

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2140
Old 03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: adz06

got my novarossi p5 back today compression is like new i cnt turn it over by hand well i fired it up and put on thottle return spring etc worked a treat ran fine styill seems to rev bit high on idle but it doesnt move or jump foward at all. i actually had the buggy wheeling from standing start which was a first so i think ill change the diff oil in the front as the rear and center seem fine just needa use heavier in the front. i do notice a difference between running a race engine and other engines the race engines drink the fuel rather quick.

Do not know what diff oil you are running but normally you run the lightest in the rear. You normally want the front to pull harder to keep the rear from trying to pass the front or spinning out. Right now I am running 5k front 5k middle and 1k rear. I am thinking about trying 5k 7k and 2k.

Have the second round of the Georgia Championship Series this weekend and hope to have my new STS RB Mods in and ready for the 3rd round on April 14th.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
bentgear

RPM gauges work good, best bang for the buck out there. While setup boards are nice when everything is new and tight they can be a bit of a pain as you chase the settings all over the place when wear on suspension components creaps in. If the RPM gauge is too expensive take a nickle and tape it to the side of a Coke can even with the top side of the tire. Put the bottom up against the tire and adjust to where the bottom and the nickle touch the tire at the same time. This gives about 1 1/2 degrees if my memory is right. At least both will be the same. If you need more or less just turn the turnbuckles the same on both sides.

Ed M.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
TGreg

ok, ive seen this kit come with "bow tie" type tires and with those "Chevron" type also. what tires come with this kit. im starting to think that if you get the ofna bagged hyper 8 its the chevron type and if you get a haobo or ***ev its nubby.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
46u

I never noticed any Hyper 8 that comes with the Bow Tie looking tires correct me if I am wrong. My Hyper 8 pro kit came with the tires just like on Ofna and Nitro House web site. http://www.nitrohouse.com/ofna_hyper_8.htm Hobao is the manufacture and Ofna is just the importer for the US. Ofan does not manufacture anything.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM
TGreg

yea i know but if you buy hyper 8's over sea, then they are badged Hao-bo and not ofna. i think Hao-bo hypers come with the bowtie look alikes. ill see i fi can find the thread where i saw this.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
46u

It is HoBao not Hao-Bo just like on my Hyper 8 manual I have that came with my US kit. Everything in my Hyper 8 pro kit has HoBoa on it nothing Ofan and I live in the states. Yes sometimes there are a few differences on over seas kit.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 PM
TGreg

yeah sry about the hao-bo thing i didnt feel like looking it up. but yea i must have been imagining that thread where i saw i guys fresh hyper8 with bowtie type tires on cause i just searched "hyper 8" and went threw 8 pages of threads with no avail. oh well. i guess ill be buying new tires then =[
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 PM
46u

I never even mounted the stock tires even thaw I have been through at least 3 sets, as the stock tires would not work well on any tracks I run on. Most I have talked to did like I have and put better tires on before ever running their Hyper. I run either Bow Ties or Crime Fighters.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
kochj

I too have got many parts form ebay, but in the long run I shouldt just have purchased a whole new kit. Or at least that is how it works out with my Adam drake udate to a adam drake 2.
I have put the control rod for the stering arm on the outside of the stering servo so that I did not get binding, Anyone else do this? It would always hit the top of my servo on lockout turns.

ORIGINAL: 46u

Like I said in about 4 gallons all I have broke is one wing and two radio box lids. One plastic that popped both hinges off and one aluminum because of bending the back hinge many times. All so popped the plastic pin you put the body clip on to hold the lid but drilled it out and use a zip tie that seems to work better. When I am racing I get around 6 or 7 feet of air or more for as far as 15 to 20 feet forward movement. I have beat the heck out of my Pro kit and so far has held up very well. Being I am racing a big series I have many spare parts I bought of ebay CHEAP!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM
bentgear

Am I dreaming or did I read right that 2 Hyper 8's qualified for the Pro A Main at Silver States and not a single Kyosho, altho they did win truggy? Wonder what happened

Ed M.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
46u

I have all ways said if you can afford it buy to kits and keep one for parts. But more then likely I would build both and still have to buy parts.

I have my steering rod on the inside and do not have a problem with it binding or hitting my servo but I did not use the servo horn that came with the kit as it would not fit my servo. The horn I am using is a bit longer then the stock one.

Does not seem that near as many Pro racers are running the Hyper 8 much any more. Does not matter as I race mine just about every weekend.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 AM
kochj

I wish I could run mine every wk end but not anytracks close to where I live. I t seems that there are so many different 1/8 scale buggies now it is just mind bogling! Take your pick, all manufactures have came out with new buggies this year, or almost. I just see many being the fad of the week right now. If you can make a buggy run, than go for it.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
46u

The closes track to me is 55 miles one way. Well we do have one locally but is VERY small and they do not start racing till April. They all so only run 5 minuet mains! I drive 2 to 6 hours a weekend to get to a track. I have only missed going to the track once in six weeks and after this weekend once in 7 weeks. No I do not have a lot of money just do what ever it takes to race. Running the Georgia Championship Series I get there on Friday sleep in a small tent and race Saturday. I am all most 53 and wonder those with the big motor homes and trailer if they would be willing to camp in a small tent if that is what it took and most are WAY younger then I. 3rd round of the series is 140 miles one way.

The pictures below where taken on 2/1707 first race of the year and that night which I camped it got down to 20 degrees F. You can see the track had ice on it the next day when I got up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81700.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	651245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85903.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	651246  
Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
harrier

OK, brakes on the Hyper 8. How do I get better braking? I've tried messing with both set screws on the brake shafts coming off the throttle servo but with minimal results. I'd like to get close to locking them up but not quite. I am using the stock Ofna throttle servo. The manual does little for teaching one how to adjust brakes. Jeff?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Firefighter7

The stock servo is your first problem as they are not very good. How close are the shoes to your brake disk? You can move the pads closer to the disk by tightning the two hex head screws on the diff mount. Also can you adjust the bias with your transmiter? Are you running the stock brakes? Are the clean? Any fuel or grime on them? As far as adjusting the brakes with the brake rods and collars I find they are very sensitive. I have mine set to where the brakes are almost applied when I have no brake applied to my Tx.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
kochj

I must not know how to use a setup board becase I saw no value in it when i tried one out. My touring car had the aluminum set up wheels and I still did not get clue as to how it would differ if you just put your car/buggy on a dest and checked the camber ect! I ended up buying a integy 1/8th setup station. Worked awsome and always know that my car is setup strait and true. My buggy never preformed as well before I put it on the station. The last race of the year I was bummed becasue I brought out the new hyper 8 w a newly broken in trinity Rossi Black magic and the matching Magic One, tuned pipe w/adjustable header. I ended up smashing the stinger in badly when I hit some boards. I cut the brand new pipe in half when I got back and pushed the dent out. Now I have to get a good wielder to get it looking right. At the same time I will have the wielder put in a block of stainless to support the stinger in case in happens again. Like jammin pipes have on them! unfortionatly the size of the exhust port is larger than alll other common engines so this limits my selection of headers.[&o]

Quite the dedication 46U!
My 2yr old son would not know my name and my wife would devorce if I had your same dedication!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
harrier

ORIGINAL: Firefighter7

The stock servo is your first problem as they are not very good. How close are the shoes to your brake disk? You can move the pads closer to the disk by tightning the two hex head screws on the diff mount. Also can you adjust the bias with your transmiter? Are you running the stock brakes? Are the clean? Any fuel or grime on them? As far as adjusting the brakes with the brake rods and collars I find they are very sensitive. I have mine set to where the brakes are almost applied when I have no brake applied to my Tx.
The shoes as far as I can tell are just about touching if not touching ie I can't see any light between them and the disc. I am running the stock brakes and I cannot tell if they are clean or not without removing them which I am wanting to avoid. I have not spilled any fuel in there but their may be grime. The car has only been run about 15 times.

I think my problem lies in knowing what to adjust and how to adjust it. The brake rods and collars are an odd thing. They appear to do nothing when watching them move but it you move the outside collar inwards the brakes seem tighter (a tad). I can never really get it to grab good by playing with the rods and collars alone. Can you explain what the outer and inner collars do on the rod? I know they are stops of some sort but which does which? I have noticed that if I move one too much, the car won't want to roll backwards.

As for my transmitter. I have tried setting the ATV to 125 from 100 but the arm doesn't travel any further than it does with 100. I have the Spektrum DX3.

Steve
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
kochj

I agree w/firefighter. I think you need to change your servo out. The reason you get no more travel when you go up to 120% end point is because the servo isn't strng enough to move it any more than the torque it has already applied.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
46u

I am devoiced and spent many years raising 3 girls as a single parent and now it is my turn. My youngest is in her second year of collage and my grandson is 2. Have been working on my buggy just about all day and still have much to do to get ready for round 2 this weekend. I like my set up board very much but does take some getting use to.

I am having problems keep oil in my center differential so I have a spare and will see how it does. I now have 4 to 5 gallons on it so I know she is not a spring chicken but is still in very good shape and still very tight. I have heard they are shoot at 8 gallons but I do not see how but I guess it depends on how you maintain it.

Yes RTR servo are not real good and one of the many reasons I do not do RTR. All so the stock brakes are not great and is why I run fiber brake disc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14833.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	651645  
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
MannyEdge
My Feedback: (9)

This is a newbie question - I have been reading this thread from the beginning because I am researching this buggy. I am now set on getting this buggy, but I am looking at radios. I want a specktrum so I do not have to worry about channels. I see a lot of people get the 3 channel radio. What is the third channel used for?

Thanks,

Manny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.