Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

XTM X-Terminator for Bashing/Light Racing

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

XTM X-Terminator for Bashing/Light Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:44 AM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTM X-Terminator for Bashing/Light Racing

My LHS(actually a paint store that sells a few RC items, mostly by XTM) has an XTM X-Terminator(not sure if it's standard, deluxe, or pro and I don't really know the difference). They told me that they would sell it to me for $380 and throw in a bigger cooling head for it(they have the head marked at around $50). What I do know is that it comes with a Hitec Aggressor Radio. I plan on stopping in tomorrow to return a crystal(the 4 tec I bought from them only had the Tx crystal in it, so they gave me a new set of crystals. The car was a display model and the last one they had), and while I'm there I'll check the XTM again to see which model for sure that it is and post afterwards.

All I'll be doing is bashing, but if I can ever get to a track to race, I might pull some occasional racing with it. For the next couple of months, most of my bashing will be in packed snow(or until it all melts). Then it'll mostly be dirt and pavement bashing.

As far as experience, I've broken in 2 nitro motors, and tuned 3 on many occasions. If all goes well(shipping of new parts are on time), I'll be breaking in and tuning another before the buggy. I'm not the best driver/tuner, but I can hold my own(my best finish was second in the main in dirt oval behind only a brushless equipped TC3 Rally while I was racing in a 27T brushed XXX-T). I have experience with the RCs in my sig.

To sum it up:
-intermediate nitro experience
-mostly bashing/occasional racing

I've been searching the forums for threads on this buggy, but I'm getting too many mixed reviews that it's getting kinda confusing. From the consensus that I've seen, it looks like the buggy is best suited for bashing, but on the other hand, I'm getting that it's not good for much of anything. For a driver at my level, with my intended uses, how does this buggy stack up?

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to try to provide enough info to get an accurate answer. Thanks in advance for any advice that ya'll may be able to provide.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
thopper

Default RE: XTM X-Terminator for Bashing/Light Racing

Forget it. Weak all the way around. get a RD Logics SHO for 299.00 , it is the best value out there and is a very durable buggy. There is nothing good about the xtm.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thopper

Forget it. Weak all the way around. get a RD Logics SHO for 299.00 , it is the best value out there and is a very durable buggy. There is nothing good about the xtm.
There is one weak part, rear diff support.

Its a nice car but wait for the new one to arrive, the price on that is way to high anyway.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:13 PM
mydartswinger

I should be OK with a weak diff support. I won't be doing anything intentionaly severe with the car(unless I crash). They said that they're supposed to be getting the XT2 Friday, so I'll check it out then. I won't be buying until late next week anyway. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
annie_himself

Next week? We (loyal XTM forum members) have not heard about this. And Im sure R9 would have told us, he's their factory driver after all.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
mydartswinger

That's just what the guys at the shop told me. They don't do much with RC(their business is houshold type paints), so they may have been mistaken. They could just be getting in a Deluxe or Pro version. BTW, when is the XT2 supposedly comming out if a target timeframe has been released.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:35 PM
annie_himself

April, or late this month it should be out. I can't give you a solid date or week, but its soon. The ST Pro is the same.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:20 PM
mydartswinger

OK, talked to the guy at the shop today and mentioned this thread. He said that they have them(XT2) ordered, but they are on backorder and have been for something like 2 weeks. They do have a shipment of cars supposed to be comming in tomorrow, so I guess he thought that they were going to be in with that.

Also, about what is the average, low, and high end prices that should be paid for a new Xterm standard edition? Keep in mind that I am in Alaska and everything is much higher priced here, including shipping to get things here, so overpriced will most likely be OK depending on how overpriced it is are.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

The buggy retails online for $379, so the price they are asking is about right, especially if they are throwing in a head (since when do you need a cooling head in Alaska? ).

I can't comment directly on the X-Terminator, but as the X-Terminator and the XLB share quite a number of parts in common, I can offer some tips. One thing I've noticed about XTM in general is that fit and finish tend to be a little crude, and they like to use cheap plastic. With that said, it would be a very good idea to boil ALL plastic components for at least 30 minutes to anneal the plastic. Also, consider upgrading the spur gears to steel when the nylon ones strip, which they will. Finally, as the two buggies use the same brake assembly, this is something you may want to keep an eye on as I had some initial adjustment problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 PM
mydartswinger

For one, I won't be in Alaska much longer because I'm about to go on leave to East Texas, then move to Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville, North Carolina. Second, I'm going to run 30% nitro in it, so the extra cooling couldn't hurt.

Well, I did it. I bought my X-Term after looking over the car for any design features to be concerned about(i.e. plastic shock towers, overall weak looking, etc...). I found that the Xterm seems to be satisfactory for my useage. I was also impressed that the on/off switch is covered in a silicone/nylon type boot and the fact that it has an inline fuel filter(well, fuel screen at least, and I could put a filter in there as well). I also like the fact that the Rx and Rx batts are enclosed in easily accessible boxes. None of the cars/trucks that I have purchased in the past haven't had any of those features. I don't know if those are standard on most RTR 1/8 buggies(this is my first 1/8 buggy), but I like those ideas anyway.

As far as the cheap plastic and crude materials, as long as I don't break it every other time I take it out. That just gives me an excuse to upgrade to better parts . I'll definitely keep an eye on the brakes to.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Kemo

upgrade parts are on the way since the xt2 is on itsway.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
mydartswinger

Cool, hopefully I won't be breaking anything on it before then.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 AM
psychorevo

I just got an X Terminator today. And for bashing with friends, you'll be freakin' unstoppable. The 24.7 is insanely GNARLY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:49 AM
mydartswinger

Sweet. I can't wait to get my cooling head on and get this thing broken in so I can start bashing it.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
annie_himself

Have fun man!!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
mydartswinger

I plan on it. Just need to get the right size allen key to change out the head, get some CA to glue the tires, and finish charging Tx batts and I'll be breaking her in. I plan on getting that stuff this afternoon.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 PM
GRANT ED

I hav ethe Rex-X which is the aussie version of the X-terminator. Exactly the same but it has a .21 engine. I have had no problems with it, using for light basking and club racing ( I even one the A-main with it in my first meet ). I keep reading about people saying these buggies are weak. I have not broken anything on mine and it has taken some abuse. The quality is not as good as my friend MBX-5 but it is 1/4 the cost!! For the $$ this is a very good buggy. Go out there and give it hell [8D]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
mydartswinger

Gave my X-term its first broken part today.

Broke my pull start cord this afternoon while trying to get it started to break it in. It was taking way to many pulls to get her going which was probably due to a low/dead ignitor batt. This began to get me frustrated(even though it was probably my fault), which in turn probably caused me to pull on it to much/to hard, but no big deal. So what do I do to fix my pull start, I replace it with an HPI Roto-Start backplate(I have a Savage, so I already have the Roto-Start unit). This has made my life much easier. The only drawback to it is that it limits my rear suspension adjustments because of clearance to the hole to put the Roto-Start shaft into. Since I won't be racing much, if any, this will not be an issue for me.

If anyone else decides to go this route, make sure you get the Roto-Start backplate for the Savage motors. When you go to adjust the suspension, I found that if you position the turnbuckles in the top outermost position on the chassis, it will give you plenty of clearance for the starter shaft.

Other than that little issue, I'm having a blast just breaking this buggy in, and I can't wait to get her to the point where I can tune her and drive the snot out of her.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:46 AM
GRANT ED

I must confes that I ditched the pull start and bought a starter box. Used my friends a few times and it was just way to easy.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:57 PM
riverat1540

Hi, I have an x-terminator and ill have to say that it is a lot of fun for your money, this buggy really got me into the 1/8th scale. so much that i sold my traxxas nitro rustler ive had since i started rc to get an ofna gt lx which ill be getting monday. but the x-terminator is a great buggy and the only things ive broken are the clutch (shoe spring broke at high rpm) a rear differential case ( landed upside down from 15 ft of air) and ive cracked some wheels from sloppy landings. but i must say this thing is durable. im pretty hard on my buggy and the engine runs great and idles well for me and i love the speed and forgiveness in the air just dont hit the brake on a 15 ft jump unless u wanna land upside down, i still cant believe i did that!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
mydartswinger

I must not be meant to finish breaking this thing in. After a few tries with the Roto-Start, the bushings for the starter gear on the backplate pressed through the plastic which is causing the gears to grind and not turn the motor. I've cranked on the Savage more than I did on the buggy, and it still hasn't messed up. UGHHH, if it ain't one thing it's another.[:@] I guess that my best bet is to get a starter box for it to eliminate the onboard starting systems altogether. Either that or I might give the Roto-Start another shot. It'll probably next weekend before I can get another shot at it because everywhere in town that sells parts is closed today, and I'd have wait longer if I ordered the parts.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
riverat1540

Its sounds like your having all kinds of bad luck. but it also sounds like u might be trying to start a flooded engine also. if it is hard to turn over chances are its flooded. take out the glow plug and turn the motor over to dry it out some then reinstall to plug and try again. and btw its really easy to flood an engine when your glow starter is not charged up. I might be telling ya something you already know but thats my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Just got the Rex X myself today, what sort of setups are you guys using for running on grass
Old 03-13-2006, 10:18 PM
annie_himself

Badlands for tires, and stiff springs if you jump it.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:00 AM
thopper

I told ya so!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.