Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

hurricane xp

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:09 AM
boris4ka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hurricane xp

I've never used nitro before and have a max budget of ~$350RTR. I have no tracks near me, bumpy parking lots, and baseball fields. I guess I don't need a truck or touring car, so now I'm looking into buggies. I saw a review here of the hurricane xp and it seems good, but i've never heard of Redcat Racing, are they good with support, and how many hopups are there for this car? And would you recommend it for a beginner
Old 05-07-2006, 09:59 AM
kx250ryder

Default RE: hurricane xp

To be honest, with your budget number, you would be better off with a 1/10th nitro truck. The cheapest 1/8th buggies will cost about $500.00 once all is said and done. I would say save at least $700.00+ if you want a 1/8th with decent quality gear. Even if you don't race, I would still say try to double your budget if you want a 1/8th.

RTR = $350.00

Cheapest kit:
Hyper TQ Sport (230)
Cheapest engine
OS RG (110)
Cheapest FM radio
JR XR2i (100)
Cheapest decent 1/8th steering servo
Hitec 945 (62)
Cheapest decent 1/8th throttle servo
JR Z590m (40)

Optional:
1/8th starter box
OFNA 10250 (80)

That is $540.00 ($620.00 w/ starter box) for the cheapest decent components out right now. You could shave a little off of that by going with crappier servos, and an AM radio, but max savings would be like $50.00, and definitely wouldn't be worth it. How is it that a company could produce a RTR for $90.00-140.00 less AND put it together for you? There is obviously some quality lost there, which will be evident after owning it for a short time.

I would say take your budget, and look at what class of R/C you could buy into the mid-top end with. It would be a better investment to buy the best 1/10th truck, rather than the crappiest and cheapest 1/8th buggy. Especially when you decide to upgrade, and you have to try to sell off your old stuff.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:09 PM
the geek

Ya what he said....
I dont no to much about the hurricane xp but i dont think i would buy it cause it isnt to popular. Mabie get a GS storm
Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 PM
unclezesta
My Feedback: (1)

are the gs's good quality? because i know the redcats arent. want proof? check out the official redcat racing forum on here and read around a bit.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
raceman17

Well I own a hurricane xp. They are a very durable buggy. For a person just getting into nitro, this is a great buggy. I take this buggy to the track every weekend and race it against all the other great buggies out there. I have got about 4 gallons of fuel on the buggy with only the front bumper being the only thing that I broke. Read the review that was done on it by rcuniverse. The problem with the redcat racing quality is in the 1/10 scale truck and buggy not the 1/8 scale. Ive owned both the truck and the buggy and yes the truck SUCKS but the buggy rocks.
Later
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
nitrosteve22

Yeah its the 1/10th scale Redcats that are having durability issues but I havent herd a single bad thing about the 1/8th scales as far as durability or performance aside from the crappy radio gear which I wouldnt use without a failsafe.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Smokieflame

I would actually stay away from Redcat. I have yet to see or hear one good thing about them. If you have $350 to spend save $50 more and pick up an XTM X-Terminator. It is very durable, and the engine is INSANE. You can get one online for about $320, but then you need the glow plug starter, fuel, batteries of some sort and a charger. Or you could always find someone selling a higher end buggy for your price range, RCs that have been slightly used are just like cars. They depriciate the minute they are used but if you get a good one you wont even beable to tell it isnt brand new.

If you really want a true good buggy experiance, then you should save a little bit more till you have about $800 to spend and get a good kit, good engine, good remote. B/c eventually you will have an $800 RTR if you buy an RTR, trust me my X-Terminator with the upgrades and electronics I have on it, the total cost is pretty close to $800
Old 05-11-2006, 12:17 AM
RC30GTR

I wouldnt recommend RedCat either... go with the major player like CEN Matrix, Mayham, or OFNA
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Coopz

Is the Hurricane a renamed Bazooka with a bigger engine? Kid in my street has a Bazooka and just for bashing its great, I've seen him slam it into gutters as speed and broken nothing.