Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Preferred 1/8 buggy by racers this year

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Preferred 1/8 buggy by racers this year

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preferred 1/8 buggy by racers this year

What's up guys, been a while since I raced 1/8 scale and I was wondering what the preferred buggy is now. Last time I was racing them everyone was on the Kanai 2 kick and there was not much else out there that could touch a well setup one as far as turning both on and off power and ease of control in the air. I sold mine back in late 03 and went MT racing for a year. Then stopped racing completely for a year and now I have the itch again.

I don't know if I am willing to drop the 1800+ to start a full operation at the moment so I don't the the MP777 SP2 is in question at the moment because I have none of my 1/8 scale gear left. I have to start completely over aside from TX/RX as in I don't even have a starter box and digital servos strong enough for one anymore.

I have been looking at the Hyper 8 pro quite a bit and it seems to be a well put together buggy but does anyone have any track experience with it who can tell me the handling characteristics of it? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Preferred 1/8 buggy by racers this year

The H8 steers sharply, it is good in the corners.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:47 PM
slodsm

I assume all three diffs are silicon filled, are the old standby's of 5f7m3r working or what is good for this one?

Does it manage to steer as well on power as it does off?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:24 PM
RacinRon

The Hyper 8 is very easy to drive , it's turns on a dime , jumps almost automatic , and so far is indestructable(except some fuel tank issues). There are about six of them racing at my local track and everyone who is driving them has turned better lap times and continues to get better with it!! Guys got rid of 777's , mbx5's , xrays for this buggy. And with all it comes with for the price , it's a great choice. Ron ps. it likes light diff fluid - I run 4 - 6 - 2 (F C R) kyosho diff fluid
Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 PM
slodsm

Sounds good Ron, I can't believe people would get rid of a Kyosho for it [&:], guess Ofna has come a ways in the past few years.

I know the Hyper 7 was doing ok at the track when I was racing but still couldn't compare to a Kanai car. Of course Greg Degani heading that way probably gave them some more R&D since he is one bad dude with a buggy. I guess I might have to check this thing out for myself.

What engines are you guys running at the moment, mid grade type. I have always ran OS V99b, then the V01b, then I went to RB concepts and never looked back. I don't have any desire for the power of a Rody mod or a C6 or anything like that as they have more power than I have skill and would just slow me down. But what are you guys running in them now?
Old 05-27-2006, 02:00 PM
monster man14

Well i personally have the hyper 7 pbs, when it had the hyper 8 port engine, now the pcb only carries it in the rtr that engine is awsome starter engine, i clear triples like nothing, and i think(never tried it though) i could clear a quadruple it jumps easily, to get to its top rpm it's slightly slower than the nova rossi p5 i raced another hyper 7 with one in it and he slowly caught up with me but i was in the lead and in a 100 ft straight away i was about 5 feet in front then we sort of dragged race down the straight then at the end to turn the corner he was 7 feet in front. Hope that painted a good mental picture for you. I also have crime-fighter style( the design name is crme-fighter made by pro-line) but i got them from some website that sold tires like that with dish wheels and inserts and it's pretty good deal for 25 for that stuff. The nova rossi is definately faster. But i definately preffer the hyper 8 over the hyper 7. For radio, you should get the spectrum dx3( i think that's the model) it runs on the 2.4 ghz frequency and other nice things.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
mkincy

Ron,
You crack me up with this story everytime you tell it! I cant wait until i read it again so i can LMAO for the next week.
As to the original question, the car of the year is the Xray XB8 TQ, but you cant go wrong with the SP2 or the Prospec either.
ORIGINAL: RacinRon

The Hyper 8 is very easy to drive , it's turns on a dime , jumps almost automatic , and so far is indestructable(except some fuel tank issues). There are about six of them racing at my local track and everyone who is driving them has turned better lap times and continues to get better with it!! Guys got rid of 777's , mbx5's , xrays for this buggy. And with all it comes with for the price , it's a great choice. Ron ps. it likes light diff fluid - I run 4 - 6 - 2 (F C R) kyosho diff fluid
Old 05-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Da Smak
Banned

I was thinking off going with the good old Ho Bao Pirate EP this season. With it's luxurious build quality and Hyper 21 4 port (with pull start), there is nothing in this market that can compete.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:54 PM
slodsm

Well the reviews look good on this thing, I think I will order it up tonight so I have something to build next weekend.

One more question, for the pipe that comes with it, is it a low end or top end pipe? Similar to the 063 or 093?

I also think I am going to stick with my roots on motors and grab up another RB motor.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Da Smak
Banned

The pipe is more akin to the 093 (High end), to stick it on an RB will just sap the power of that mill, they do work well on the OS V-specs though.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:15 PM
slodsm

Hmm, well at least RB 063's aren't that expensive. I have ran two of them in the past and liked them a lot.

Now I just have to start divorce proceedings lol.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Kemo

Id get a MP777 SP3 or a Cen Matrix factory kit. BUT, the price of the SP3 will be ridiculously high.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:52 PM
kx250ryder

The OFNA Hyper 8 would be my choice until August. After that, just look to your avatar for the answer. Losi's 8ight comes out in August, and I do believe that (like in all other racing classes) they will have one of the machines to beat.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 PM
slodsm

I have strongly considered the MP777 this time around but unlike last time, I don't plan on driving over three states constantly to race. This time I will be sticking within a 200 mile radius and I am not planning on taking it as seriously so I don't need a 2500+ dollar operation to be competitive. I just want a buggy that handles well and will be competitive at the sportsman level.

kx250, I do believe you are actually right about the losi BUT, I really don't feel like waiting on it and after talking to Degani and some others on the sgrid, I think the 8 will work for me. It's a nice quick capable buggy in the right hands that isn't going to make me feel bad if I go on a month stint without racing it and just leaving it on the shelf because I am not going to have more than 1k in it total.

I appreciate all the input though.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Kemo

That has to be one of the worst designed forums and least user friendly one to use.

And about the 8, i highly doubt it wont do well at the worlds (if some think i mean they'll do bad, i mean as in they'll kick ass)
Old 05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
kahuna273

go jammin or go home best buggy out there right now. take a look at the jammin buggy it wins all the races. hyper 8 is real good jammin a bit better.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Kemo

If any of the Jammin drivers had a Redcat buggy, i'm sure you'd say the same about redcat... go redcat or go home. Doesn't matter what buggy those pro's have, they'll still push it to the front.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
slodsm

ORIGINAL: Kemo

That has to be one of the worst designed forums and least user friendly one to use.

And about the 8, i highly doubt it wont do well at the worlds (if some think i mean they'll do bad, i mean as in they'll kick ass)
Dude you used so many double negatives in that post I am lost as I could be right now

Everyone is going to have an opinion on what is better than the other and so on, I swore by Kanai cars and everything else was garbage to me the last time I raced 1/8, just not trying to go all out this year but don't want to buy something that you CAN'T win with.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
CodyRothe

Anything Kyosho is good
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM
bentgear

Hyper 8 seems to be the best per dollar spent. Also holding up very well. Managed to win the Arkansas State Champs today. Try it, think you will like it.

Ed M.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:20 PM
montrealer

If any of the Jammin drivers had a Redcat buggy, i'm sure you'd say the same about redcat... go redcat or go home. Doesn't matter what buggy those pro's have, they'll still push it to the front.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Sure you put the same top end buggy in the hands of a pro racer and the average joe and the pro will make the other guy look like he's handicaped but put a top end buggy in the hand of a pro racer and a redcat buggy in the hands of another pro of the same level and the redcat dude will lose.

I agree with Kahuna273 here, the Jammin is one of the top buggy right now.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: slodsm

Dude you used so many double negatives in that post I am lost as I could be right now

Everyone is going to have an opinion on what is better than the other and so on, I swore by Kanai cars and everything else was garbage to me the last time I raced 1/8, just not trying to go all out this year but don't want to buy something that you CAN'T win with.
comment about "grid"... terribly designed and extremely difficult to surf.

Comment about the 8: its almost impossible for it to do bad at the worlds (ifmars) this year.

And onto the redcat... with a team engine and team setup on any buggy, any buggy will be as good as the driver.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Mugen Mbx5

XB8R
Old 05-28-2006, 03:50 AM
madmaniac

Everyone will have different opinions, just go with what you like and what your wallet accepts

I have only driven 3 buggies the MP 777, EB-4 S3 and the XB8 and I've seen numerous other run.
From the start i bought a 777SP1 its a great buggy but unfortunately Kyosho seem to live in their own world[>:] and the parts are pretty expensive too.
I went from the 777 to the S3 because of the parts support here, and I'm 100% satisfied with it, the buggy hasn't let me down yet and it handles great.

The Hyper 8 is a great buggy, and I've heard nothing but positive things about it, so go for it if you like it!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Super_Dave

The hyper 8 is an amazing buggy especially for the price. First you don't need to upgrade ANYTHING. The shock towers are already tough with more then enough adjustment, the caster adjustments are build in and are changed by using different bushing (like the XB8), it already comes with a carbon fiber radio tray, diff brace, and servo saver brace. The drive tran is solid and all of the other parts are very durable. The buggy handles like a dream. It has loads of steering throw which is great for tight tracks though with the wrong setup it will still understeer (normally thats easy to fix with less caster). The high speed handling of this buggy is what suprised me the most. It will take high speed corners better then any buggy I've seen by keeping heeps of steering without getting the rear end loose just like its on rails. Its rough track handling is also great taking bumps like they aren't even there.

I don't even have one . Two good friends of mine do though and I have driven both. Without a doubt its a winning buggy and like I said up top you will not need to upgrade one single part. Personally I'm still racing and winning with my kyosho MP777 so I don't feel the need to buy one. I do think I'll change my mind about that when the Losi 8ight comes out though . Never count out the new XB8 TQ either that would be my second choice for a new buggy after the Losi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.